Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2013, 5:41 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LDNConsultant
This is a community-maintained wiki post. Please add important information to it or correct outdated information by clicking the "Edit" button below!

Lucrative runs that have been reported under £3/TP - current availability not guaranteed
Route | Booking class | Fare | Booking channel | TPs | £/TP | credit

American Airlines

SFO-LAX-MIA-CUN | A/A/I | £498 return | aa.com | 620 TPs | £0.80/TP | chris1979
ORD-STL-DFW-SJU | A/A/I | £458 return | aa.com | 520 TPs | £0.88/TP | timezonehopper
SFO-LAX-MIA-CUN-MIA-LAX-LAS | A/A/I/I/A/A | £581 round trip | aa.com | 620 TPs | £0.94/TP | courtster
AMS-LHR-LAX-SFO-JFK-LHR-AMS | I/I/A/A/I/I | £1641 round trip | aa.com | 630 TPs | £2.60/TP | mccorry
IST-LHR/LCY-JFK-EZE-MIA-LHR-IST | I/I/I/I/I/I | £2106 round trip | aa.com | 790TPs | £2.61/TP | nth_utsera_sth_utsera
45 day advance purchase required, minimum stay 7 days.

British Airways
LGW-MLA | R | £248 return | ba.com | 160 TPs | £1.55/TP | LDNConsultant
LGW-RAK | R | £280 return | ba.com | 160 TPs | £1.75/TP | mfgr
Book by 31/12/13 for this price.
JER-LGW-AMS | J/R | £259 return | ba.com | 160 TPs | £1.62/TP | joejet
LGW-JER | R | £181 return | ba.com | 80 TPs | £2.26/TP
LGW-AMS | R | £199 return | ba.com | 80 TPs | £2.49/TP
BRU-LHR//LCY-JFK-SEA (last bit on AA) and back | I/I/A | £1,529 return | probably have to phone up | 920 TPs | £1.66/TP | stifle
Outbound 12/4-27/4 or 25/6-24/8, min stay Sat night, ticket by 2/1/14

Royal Jordanian
BEY-AMM-AQJ | D | £255 return | rj.com | 160 TPs | £1.59/TP | DeanB

Malaysia Airlines
SIN-KUL-KCH | D | S$660 return | malaysiaairlines.com | 160 TPs | £2.12/TP |HPN-HRL
DEL-KUL-BKK | Z | INR41,666 return |malaysiaairlines.com | 360TPs| £1.15/TP| Seshy
DEL-KUL-NRT | Z | INR92,395 return |malaysiaairlines.com | 560TPs| £1.64/TP| Seshy
ICN-KUL-SYD/MEL | Z | KRW1,582,600 return |malaysiaairlines.com | 560TPs| £1.65/TP| armagebedar
SIN-KUL-DXB | Z | S$1084 return | malaysiaairlines.com | 360 TPs | £1.50/TP | qasr (+long haul equipment on KUL-DXB)
SIN-KUL-TPE | Z | S$1078 return | malaysiaairlines.com | 360 TPs | £1.49/TP | qasr
SIN-KUL-DEL | Z | S$1018 return | malaysiaairlines.com | 360 TPs | £1.41/TP | qasr
SIN-KUL-KTM | Z | S$1006 return | malaysiaairlines.com | 360 TPs | £1.39/TP | qasr

Qatar Airways
CAI-DOH-BKK | £759 return | D/D/D/A | 360 TPs | £2.10/TP ExpatSomchai
DME-DOH-SGN | I | £1255 return | qatarairways.com | 560 TPs | £2.25/TP |continentalclub
Print Wikipost

BA Tier Point runs | 2013 master thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2013, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Welcome to FT, JerryBolton!
Originally Posted by JerryBolton
2. What route could I get 20 cheap points?
Originally Posted by axon
2. First thing that comes to mind is LGW/AMS.
One reason for suggesting LGW in particular is that if you're just going there and coming straight back you could try to do it on a cheap hand baggage only fare, which is a new thing at LGW.

And if you want to go and come straight back, you could look at this thread for suggestions of destinations where you can turn around and come back to London on the same aircraft: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...tinations.html

If you do that without booking any other tickets, you need to be aware that you may have to book two separate one-way tickets because often the turnaround is not long enough for it to be a legal "connection" and thus ba.com may refuse to issue you a round-trip ticket for that itinerary. (It may also still have its own, more conservative, requirement for a turnaround.)
Old Apr 17, 2013, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by angatol
Or there might not be any AA SEA-HOU flights... Where did you find those?
AA flies SEA to DFW, then connect on American Eagle or another regional to HOU.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by lorcancoyle
Is it AA metal or AS / Alaska metal? Latter gets Avios but no TPs I think (think they do a lot of the SEA flights given their presence)

Plus if you have to connect at DFW it means the system can't see a direct flight so defaults to 0 - put in the legs separately to get the totals
It would be AA metal, which I selected on the Avios/TP calculator.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by chucko
AA flies SEA to DFW, then connect on American Eagle or another regional to HOU.
Ah, the BA TP calculator doesn't do connections, only single segments.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 1:46 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Globaliser
Welcome to FT, JerryBolton!One reason for suggesting LGW in particular is that if you're just going there and coming straight back you could try to do it on a cheap hand baggage only fare, which is a new thing at LGW.
Thanks, problem with LGW is that I live in Birmingham. So maybe the best option is to tag on an LHR to MAN to my next USA trip from LHR. (I have one more trip prior to my year end.)
Old Apr 18, 2013, 3:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by JerryBolton
Thanks, problem with LGW is that I live in Birmingham. So maybe the best option is to tag on an LHR to MAN to my next USA trip from LHR. (I have one more trip prior to my year end.)
Hence the astuteness of Blueboys999's question.

Any cheapo cheapo round-trip in discount economy will do the job for you. However, if you're going to tag this on to an arrival from the US, you may have to think briefly about what you're going to do with your checked bags, if any. There'd be a time advantage in simply doing a direct airside transit to your LHR-MAN-LHR jaunt, but you may find that the only sensible thing is to clear on first arriving at LHR, collect your bags and store them, and then return airside to do the extra flights.

Another alternative (if it's not already been booked, and you have the flexibility to do this) is to turn your next trip into an ex-EU trip - ie buy the long-haul ticket to start at an EU point, and fly out there to start that ticket. That would automatically add on at least 20 TPs for the extra flight out and back before you fly to the US. But there are potential complications about what you do with the last sector if it's written so that you have to end at the EU point - there will be lots of different views and advice about this (many people saying that you can safely throw away the last sector and not fly it).
Old Apr 18, 2013, 3:44 am

Programs: "Only" 50,000 TPs until BA GGLfL
AA West coast to Caribbean. Just word of note for those booking SFO/SEA/LAX-SFO/LAX/NYC-MIA-SJU flights.

Fares to the rest of the Caribbean are similar to SJU: GCM
is generally the same price or lower than SJU, but also consider:

SDQ, ANU, POS, PLS, POP, PUJ, SXM, STI, PTP, CUR, AUA

for $50-100 more but a *much* more fun time than SJU

You also get a free stopover in JFK or MIA on all non-SJU fares!

matrix.itasoftware.com can show relative prices for each destination.

You can construct itineraries like:

SEA-JFK-MIA-xxx
LAX-SFO-MIA-xxx
SFO-LAX-MIA-xxx [careful booking the 777s: you book into I class and only earn 140 TPs. The 763 is the most comfortable 210TPs]
SFO-JFK-MIA-xxx [same caution as above except 762s are planes to avoid]

to get 620TPs total.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 6:14 am

Originally Posted by alexwuk
AA West coast to Caribbean. Just word of note for those booking SFO/SEA/LAX-SFO/LAX/NYC-MIA-SJU flights.

SEA-JFK-MIA-xxx
LAX-SFO-MIA-xxx
SFO-LAX-MIA-xxx [careful booking the 777s: you book into I class and only earn 140 TPs. The 763 is the most comfortable 210TPs]

to get 620TPs total.

They also fly to BGI, from both JFK and MIA

Last edited by Hannibal Lecter; Apr 18, 2013 at 6:22 am
Old Apr 18, 2013, 7:06 am

Programs: BA GGL (but soon to lose the GL :-(), IHG Spire Amb, Hilton Dmnd (and pleb/pleb-plus in 1001 others)
Originally Posted by alexwuk

SEA-JFK-MIA-xxx
LAX-SFO-MIA-xxx

to get 620TPs total.
Interesting .... however .... what are the implications of a quick trip out of the US and back again for non-US citizens. There's obviously going to be US immigration again on the way back in, which can be painful enough. Anything else?
Old Apr 18, 2013, 8:06 am

Originally Posted by flibbly
Interesting .... however .... what are the implications of a quick trip out of the US and back again for non-US citizens. There's obviously going to be US immigration again on the way back in, which can be painful enough. Anything else?
If you are not staying more than a few hours there's no reason whatsover to choose anything else than SJU.

If you are staying a couple of Days, there's
US Pre-clearance at Aruba, Bahamas and Bermuda.
http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/toolbox/c..._locations.xml
Old Apr 18, 2013, 8:58 am

Programs: BAEC
190 tier points to Silver

Hi everyone!

I'm new in the forum... come here regularly, but posting for the first time because I need the help of the experts around here.

Always been Silver, but this year due to travel budget cuts, I'm struggling to get there again. I'm 190 tier points from Silver with membership year ending on the 8th August, so I was wondering whether is possible to get there with minimum pain.

I'm based in London and have two return flights booked/planned in the meantime to LIS which should give me 20 TPs each. I could eventually add another to the plan or upgrade one or two to Business if absolutely needed.

But what I really need help with is getting the bulk of the remaining TPs. Any immediate options? I could possibly take a couple of long weekends off until then...

Your precious help is much appreciated... many thanks in advance!!
Old Apr 18, 2013, 9:17 am

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Originally Posted by lombrigao
Hi everyone!

I'm new in the forum... come here regularly, but posting for the first time because I need the help of the experts around here.

Always been Silver, but this year due to travel budget cuts, I'm struggling to get there again. I'm 190 tier points from Silver with membership year ending on the 8th August, so I was wondering whether is possible to get there with minimum pain.

I'm based in London and have two return flights booked/planned in the meantime to LIS which should give me 20 TPs each. I could eventually add another to the plan or upgrade one or two to Business if absolutely needed.

But what I really need help with is getting the bulk of the remaining TPs. Any immediate options? I could possibly take a couple of long weekends off until then...

Your precious help is much appreciated... many thanks in advance!!
Weekend on East Coast US with one leg in WTP? Nets 125 TP and maybe 15,000 Avios, c. £1,000 though - but you've gone somewhere... (Or both legs in WTP for certainty and and extra £200 or so)

In Europe the no-brainer would be CE to HEL, LCA or IST - 160 TPs. Could take your chances and book ET and hope for POUG offer... Some other 80 pointers such as SKG (Thessalonika), but less frequency
Old Apr 19, 2013, 3:32 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by flibbly
I was trucking around a bit in March and entered the US three times at MIA, at different times of day. Shortest time from plane door to clearing customs was 40 minutes, longest 55 mins.
Old Apr 20, 2013, 1:23 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Hi,

I will be at TRN this July with 20TP short of Silver. I am planning to take an ET flight back to London which will give me the 20TP. This is what I found via KVS:

[KVS Availability Tool 7.1.6/Diamond - Sabre: Availability/FS/US]
Code:
TRN  Turin Citta Di Torino IT [LIMF]
LGW  London Gatwick UK [EGKK]
THU  04 Jul 2013

Carrier    Flight  From  Depart    To    Arrive    A/C  St  Availability
---------  ------  ----  --------  ----  --------  ---  --  --------------------------------------------------
BA         2579    TRN   17:00     LGW   17:45     734      C9 D9 R9 I4 Y9 B9 H9 K9 M9 L9 V0 Q0 S3 G0 J9 N0 O0
According to it there is availability on H which costs considerably less than either B or Y. But on BA.com it will only give me the B fare. A difference of almost £80 which is considerable for this flight.

I can also see the H fare on ITA when I specify this booking class.

Anyone know how I can book this H fare?

Many thanks.
Old Apr 20, 2013, 1:36 am

Originally Posted by lowdownlo
HBut on BA.com it will only give me the B fare..
It gives me the H fare for 223 euro (or 212 without checked baggage) if I specify lowest price (earning full tier points).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.