Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Pro-active Upgrade cost tracking and questions thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 16, 2013, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FinalBoarding
An “official POUG” is defined (for the purposes of this wiki) as the rate that appears in red on the MMB/BA app. It is NOT the rate offered at the airport (please see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ng-thread.html), or the rate offered when you click on the “Upgrade my class of travel with money” link from within MMB, or the “Upgrade to the next available cabin” blue/grey banner in the app.
  • All POUGs earn full TPs and Avios for the upgraded cabin, subject to the original booking being paid for with cash.
  • POUGs *ARE* offered on Hand-Baggage Only fares, if available
  • POUGs only become available after 48 hours of making your booking, until any time up to, and including OLCI. After being checked in you will not be offered a POUG.
  • POUGs do not seem to become available for travel agent bookings, until 2-3 days before departure (YMMV)
  • POUGs cannot be requested from Service Centres, except that occasionally BA.com will not proceed with a POUG online and display a message inviting you to call the Service Centre to complete the transaction.
  • After a POUG has been purchased, the ticket become non changeable and non refundable, apart from government taxes.

Please add to this list as required, and include the month/year when the POUG is offered to you.

LON to Europe from ET to CE (typically £59-£69 for Band 1, £69-£79 for Band 2, £79-£89 for Band 3 and £89-£99 for Band 4):
  • ACE - £105
  • AGP – £79 (£99/€119 Dec 2014)
  • AMS - £69 / £56 (£99 from HBO in Nov 2014)
  • ATH - £99 (£109 from HBO in Oct 2014)
  • ARN – £72
  • BCN – £79 (£89 for Silver/Bronze and £114 for HBO Blue Dec 2014 - same fight, two bookings) // Blue Feb 2015 - LGW - BCN - £89 / BCN to LHR £115)
  • BGO – £64 (£79 for HBO in SEP2014)
  • BRI - £119 / €144 (Dec 2014)
  • BRU - £69
  • BSL - CHF 85 for BSL-LHR (£55 at then exchange rate) (CHF120 in Dec 2014)
  • BUD - £79 (£89 and £105 Dec 2014)
  • CDG - £69 (£75 Dec 2014; CDG-LHR €115 Dec 2014)
  • CMF - £69 (Dec 2014)
  • CPH - £79 (£129 from HBO Nov 2014)
  • CTA - £119/€144 (both Dec 2014)
  • DBV – £79
  • DUB – £69/£56 (£99 from HBO Nov 2014, £80 Dec 2014)
  • DUS – £69
  • FCO - £170 (Dec 14)
  • FRA – £69
  • GIB - £72 (£140 Dec 14)
  • GOT – £79
  • GVA - £79/£89
  • HAJ – £69
  • HAM – £69
  • HEL – £89
  • INN – £89 out / €109 back (Dec 14)
  • IST – £89
  • JER – £69
  • KBP - £80 / USD 129 (BA is not currently accepting Ukrainian currency)
  • LCA – £89 (£190 Dec 2014 from LCA; separately £134 to LCA Dec 2014)
  • LIN – £79
  • LIS – £79 (£119 offered Nov 14, £99 and £145 Dec 14)
  • LUX - £69
  • MAD - £79
  • MAH - £69
  • MUC - £79
  • MXP - £119 (€89 MXP - LHR)
  • NCE - £140 (each way, 21/DEC/14)
  • ORY - £69
  • OSL - £79 (£64/640 NOK reported)
  • OTP - £79/€89
  • PMI - £69 (Dec 2014)
  • PRG – £79
  • PSA - £79
  • SZG - £114 (Nov 2015)
  • SOF - £89
  • STR – £69
  • TIA – £89 (£99 offered Dec 14 for TIA-LGW) (€119 TIA-LGW Dec 2014)
  • TRN – £79
  • TXL – £69
  • VCE – £79
  • VIE – £79 [£129 as of Nov14! GBP99 LHR-VIE + GBP99 VIE-LHR Nov14]
  • VRN- €139 (~£110) Nov 2014 - £89 / €109 Dec 2014
  • WAW – £69 (£110 Dec 14)
  • ZAG – £79
  • ZRH – £79 (£87 (CHF135) for ZRH-LHR): LCY-ZRH + v.v. £69 (offered 11/14)

LON to North America (price shown from lower cabin to mentioned cabin, e.g. WTP means price to POUG from WT to WTP):
  • ATL - WTP £189
  • BOS – WTP £189 (mid-2014) £219 (December 2014)
  • IAD - WTP £157
  • JFK/EWR – WTP £189 (can be as low as £133) / CW £443 / F £527 (F £599 02/08)
  • LAS - WTP £180
  • LAX – WTP £229 / CW £599 (CW £548 Jan 2015)
  • MCO– WTP £180
  • MEX – F £447/£525 / £229 WT-WTP (November 28 2015)/ 4640 MXN WT-WTP (December 14 2015)
  • MIA – WTP £209 / CW £525
  • ORD – WTP £171 / CW £525 / F £499
  • PHL – WTP £189
  • SAN – CW £599
  • SEA – WTP £199
  • SFO – WTP £170
  • YYZ – WTP £171 (return leg) / CW £425 / F £499
  • YYC - WTP £134
  • YVR – WTP £175 / CW £350

LON to South America (price shown from lower cabin to mentioned cabin, e.g. WTP means price to POUG from WT to WTP):
  • EZE – WTP £199
  • GRU – WTP £209 / F £499 / WT to CW £699
  • GIG - WT to CW £699

LON to Asia (price shown from lower cabin to mentioned cabin, e.g. WTP means price to POUG from WT to WTP):
  • BKK - WTP £126-£140 / CW £549 / F £
  • BOM - WTP £ / CW £450 / F £
  • DEL - F £499, subsequently reduced to £400
  • HKG – WTP £199 (offered £172 for a Nov 2014 flight) / CW £599 / F £599
  • NRT - WTP £199 / CW £ / F £525
  • ICN - CW £499
  • SIN - WTP SGD$320

LON to Australia and Oceania (price shown from lower cabin to mentioned cabin, e.g. WTP means price to POUG from WT to WTP):
  • SYD – WTP £170 / CW £399

LON to Africa & Middle East (price shown from lower cabin to mentioned cabin, e.g. WTP means price to POUG from WT to WTP):
  • AUH – F £499
  • CAI - WTP £121
  • DXB – WTP £179 / F £499
  • EBB - WTP £142
  • JNB - WTP £209
  • NBO - WTP £189

Non-LON routes (price shown from lower cabin to mentioned cabin, e.g. WTP means price to POUG from WT to WTP):
  • SYD-SIN – F £465
  • AMS-LGW - CE €79
  • BCN-LHR - CE £64
  • BRU-LHR - CE £105 (12.2014)
  • CDG-LHR - CE €79
  • DUB-LHR - CE €109 (£85.70-ish) from HBO booked 05.12.14, offered 08.12.14
  • BOM-LHR - F cINR40,000 (c£395)
  • JNB-LHR WTP - £189
  • TLV-LHR - F $600 (c£370)
Print Wikipost

Pro-active Upgrade cost tracking and questions thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2014, 4:54 am

Programs: A3 Gold, BAEC Silver
Something that you might find interesting happened to me the other day. I was offered a Poug at the Mmb for a flight from Lgw to Lca (£89) and when I tried to get it I got an error message saying there is a problem upgrading this flight. Tried a few more times during the next couple of days but the same thing happened, so I phoned BA and they gave me the same Poug over the phone. At no extra cost. The standard upgrade at the time was in excess of £300.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 5:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by vgang
Something that you might find interesting happened to me the other day. I was offered a Poug at the Mmb for a flight from Lgw to Lca (£89) and when I tried to get it I got an error message saying there is a problem upgrading this flight. Tried a few more times during the next couple of days but the same thing happened, so I phoned BA and they gave me the same Poug over the phone. At no extra cost. The standard upgrade at the time was in excess of £300.
That is indeed interesting, and something I've not heard of before. Good to know ^
Old Apr 18, 2014, 6:24 am

Programs: BA
Special meals and POUG at OLCI

Am currently in New York. Booked my flight+hotel on BA.com knowing that this would preclude a POUG until OLCI.

A week before the flight it occurred to me that our party of three would be a bit of a pain to upgrade given that we had a vegan and a child meal in the booking.

Rang BA a week before hand and was offered an upgrade to WT+ at £180 pp. The chap on the phone said that POUG were handled by revenue management and nothing to to do with him, but that he would suspect that a booking with special meals aside from a lacto-ovo veg (ie not vegan) would probably not attract a POUG at check-in due to the potential difficulty in sourcing the correct meal.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by flashware
Interesting - that now closes off the ability to book and then try for a POUG and cancel if you don't get one.
Probably the main reason for it being done and another example of loopholes being closed off.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 8:00 pm

Booked a TATL BA metal (openskies) on AA.com
Does POUG could be offered under MMB ?
Thank you.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 10:47 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Has anyone recently seen POUG to CE offered on ET HBO fares?

I genuinely don't need the luggage, it's only CDG, and it's for a day-trip on Saturday, where the ET fares are dirt cheap, but CE is turning out to be quite expensive (no Saturday night stay) for such a short trip. Even though I like my comfort, £700* lunch in Paris is a little too indulgent! *This figure includes the fares, a relatively cheap lunch and transport to/from CDG, not just BA fares

However, I will book the non-HBO ET fare if it increases the chance of being offered a reasonably-priced POUG. If there is no difference to the chance of being offered POUG, then I'd book the HBO fare.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 1:31 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia

I genuinely don't need the luggage, it's only CDG, and it's for a day-trip on Saturday, where the ET fares are dirt cheap, but CE is turning out to be quite expensive (no Saturday night stay) for such a short trip. Even though I like my comfort, £700* lunch in Paris is a little too indulgent! *This figure includes the fares, a relatively cheap lunch and transport to/from CDG, not just BA fares

However, I will book the non-HBO ET fare if it increases the chance of being offered a reasonably-priced POUG. If there is no difference to the chance of being offered POUG, then I'd book the HBO fare.
I've had a wee trawl back through the thread and here are some details from Jan - present. The posts by aks120 and DocS are at the very end of March but I can't see many other comments with specific HBO fares although I suspect many are during this period and latterly.

Sorry if I've quoted too many things but all the evidence must be presented M' Lady

Originally Posted by Openhorizon
Does anyone know whether BA's hand luggage only fares qualify for MMB upgrades? Has anyone been made any offers yet by BA on these fares? Also: Does anyone know the typical upgrade price ex-EU for Zone 1 flights? I usually fly from LUX to LHR.

++++
To add to the list: Latest upgrade offer I bought from BA was EUR72 (so £59) for a single trip upgrade to CE from LIN-LHR on a Sunday evening in Feb 2014.
Originally Posted by JK
I just got £64 POUG each-way to ARN, from a hang-baggage only fare. Took it both ways, of course. Quite chuffed with that - it was always £79 last year.

If these new lower rates persist (and I hope they do), I think we'll have to tweak the Wiki a little!
Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
There is always a chance of it appearing but my more recent experience has been that they appear at time of booking and then go away rather than vice-versa..
Originally Posted by speedbird285
I just went to cancel the booking and the upgrade offer appears! £69 outbound and £76 on the inbound! Gold here i come!
Worth a try to see if it 'kickstarts' any offers?

Originally Posted by BOH
I've found they are there straight after booking, disappear for a while and then often re-appear just a few days before the flight.

I reckon BA offer them in advance until a set % of available seats are taken up in the premium cabin, then the offer disappears whilst they hope to sell the seats at full-fare.

Then just a few days before they seem to dump the seats at the POUG price when they realise they won't sell any more at full price....so they may was well get a bit more cash from those who bought seats at the cabin below.

Of course another variable will be the specific route and day and time of each flight, ie whether a peak or off-peak service. Plus whether is a holiday period or whether a major event is on in that city.

So might appear to be random but no doubt something very carefully targeted for each specific flight on each day.
Originally Posted by shorthauldad
Check the availability for your flight and see if the I fare bucket is available. It's no guarantee of POUG, but I've rarely seen a POUG available when I is sold out.
Originally Posted by callmedave
LHR-VIE £64 (HBO fare on Hello Weekend day trip promotion)
LGW-NCE £79 (standard fare)
Originally Posted by aks120
£56 each way for a handbag only fare to CDG. Saved £100 each way on the Club Europe fare being advertised and it happened straight after the booking was completed!

Chasing the last few TPs to keep Gold so very happy!

Regards

aks120
Originally Posted by DocS
Having been offered a POUG to CE on an upcoming band 2 flight from a 'hand baggage only' fare I wondered whether it would become a 'standard' CE ticket - ie baggage would be included?

I don't actually need baggage but if baggage is allowed with the POUGed ticket it would perhaps make sense to buy hand baggage only fares and hope for a POUG even when you need baggage!

Will POUG the ticket and report back...
Originally Posted by Cymro
Just been offered DUS for £56 on an HBO fare.

It's tempting but I'm not getting any status this year even with 80 TP there and back and my year refreshes two weeks later.

Discussion at post #2912
Originally Posted by shefgab
Just to let everyone know, POUGs for European flights are apparently always booked into U class now, not I or R. U is used for business class redemption bookings. This started at the beginning of March for internet bookings. Some phone POUGs may still go into I during this transitional period. The lady I just spoke to just now said she wasn't sure if these would now auto-credit with BAEC, or if they would earn miles at all. (Can anyone confirm or deny?)

If you are earning with an airline partner you probably won't earn miles/points.

QR just told me that a U class ticket was non-earning, irregardless of if it was paid in cash or miles.

I just spent an hour getting my new POUG "U" ticket moved back to a closed economy class. Rather stressful, but managed in the end with the help of the excellent agent on the phone.

Buyer Beware!
Old Apr 20, 2014, 3:53 am

Programs: BAEC bouncing from Blue to Gold to Blue VSFC Red CXGreen Club Accor Platinum Hilton Silver.
Originally Posted by PETER01
You must be psychic as I was just thinking of starting a thread on that

United certainly offer POUG's on mixed bookings as well with tickets being booked via a TA! (Netflights.com)

Seems us regionalers (is that a word? ) are the poor cousins of BA's IT limitations. Boo.
I was thinking the same for us BA Holiday makers it would be nice to upgrade through MMB so us regionalers (I don't know if thats a word either) and Holiday makers must be a substantial number that BA are missing out on that would pay for upgrades (i.e. more revenue) as I suspect many of us give up on the phone. I have phoned the BAEC line many times and never got through before my patience had run out (in excess of 45mins).
John
Old Apr 20, 2014, 7:13 am

I've had a wee trawl back through the thread and here are some details from Jan - present. The posts by aks120 and DocS are at the very end of March but I can't see many other comments with specific HBO fares although I suspect many are during this period and latterly.
Thanks very much for going to all that effort for me! That's much appreciated. Now I need to think about what to do
Old Apr 20, 2014, 9:28 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
I was offered a POUG on a HBO fare last month, pretty sure it doesn't make any diffetence to the offer. The cost was a good bit less than what was quoted on here too!
Old Apr 20, 2014, 9:32 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

You must be psychic as I was just thinking of starting a thread on that

United certainly offer POUG's on mixed bookings as well with tickets being booked via a TA! (Netflights.com)

Seems us regionalers (is that a word? ) are the poor cousins of BA's IT limitations. Boo.
Originally Posted by thejohn
I was thinking the same for us BA Holiday makers it would be nice to upgrade through MMB so us regionalers (I don't know if thats a word either) and Holiday makers must be a substantial number that BA are missing out on that would pay for upgrades (i.e. more revenue) as I suspect many of us give up on the phone. I have phoned the BAEC line many times and never got through before my patience had run out (in excess of 45mins).
John
Yes I do feel BA are missing a wee trick here and I wonder of someone has worked out the cost of the IT being set up for this v the cost of any money coming in. I'd wager many in the regions would snap up POUG's.

On your last point that's a ling time to wait even for the Silver line!

Thanks very much for going to all that effort for me! That's much appreciated. Now I need to think about what to do
Good luck in getting an offer but I suppose if not then it's a short flight and there is always a small chance of the magic beep at the Gate.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 9:37 am

I was too chicken to try the HBO after all. I decided that if POUG does not appear and I end up with nice liquid down route (quite possible), I would regret booking the HBO fare as I'll have to buy a checked baggage allowance. If the difference was £100 I'd have gone for HBO but for £20 (return), I decided that on balance I'd be better off with a normal ET fare.

Now I just hope that POUG appears, although it is far from terrible even if it doesn't. But it will be a win-win to have it offered because BA will get more money off me, and I will be happier - there was no way I'd book in CE in the first place for this trip so no loss for BA - it's not as if I avoided booking CE in anticipation of POUG offer.
Old Apr 27, 2014, 7:30 am

Just had a POUG LHR->HKG for £189, it was £199 when I last had the same on that route.

Anyone else noticed POUGs getting cheaper? Perhaps it's due to the current sale?
Old Apr 27, 2014, 2:45 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
WT to WT+ LHR to CAI £121
Old Apr 27, 2014, 2:56 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite

Every ET HBO fare I have booked has had a POUG offered. I booked one this week for the first time since the 48 rule came in and sure enough the POUG was offered two days after booking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.