Last edit by: yosithezet
Official website for applying for the eVOA

https://molina.imigrasi.go.id
Print Wikipost

Visa / VOA Info for Indonesia

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2014, 9:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by brewdog11
So this just sounds too easy... You just show up at the airport with the $35USD and a passport and they give you a visa?

Just want to make sure I'm not missing anything.
This is the way Turkey used to be, but it was $20. You rushed off the plane to the visa counter, passed your passport and the cash through the crowd up to the official, and then went off to the immigration line, by then in front of all the people who mistakenly went to immigration first without stopping to buy the visa (aka pay the entry fee to the country).
Old Dec 28, 2014, 1:47 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Great thread, thanks to all the contributors.

I'm arriving at 22:40 on Asiana (front of the plane). I'm leaning towards getting the "fast track arrival" service that entails someone meeting me, taking my paperwork and handing it to the immigration.

The cost is only $15 per person (two of us). I'm doing it to avoid the potential of a half hour wait. Even saving 20 minutes would be worth the cost to me.

Any experience on arrivals at that time, and whether the queue will be long?

Thanks in advance!
Old Dec 28, 2014, 6:19 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat HH Diamond
Like everything else in Indonesia, there is just no way to predict what immigration and customs would be like when your flight lands. I usually take the same fight into CGK, the last CX flight from HK. Sometimes it takes me 5 minutes to get thru, usually 10 or 15, once in awhile 30. 15 USD to ensure a speedy process seems reasonable to me if I absolutely couldn't wait 15 minutes.

In the past year, they have made many upgrades to the arrival process. It has gotten better if you have flown through in awhile.
Old Dec 29, 2014, 4:12 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Just want to make sure this is right. I am planning to arrive CGK at 11:35 pm on 28 Aug. Assuming I get to immigration on 28 Aug then that is day 1 for the visa, right? Then 26 Sept would be day 30 so I would need to leave on that date or before? Right now, I'm planning to leave Manado on 23 Sept, but I would like to leave on 25 Sept. I'm just a bit concerned about what happens if the flight is delayed or cancelled. I'm planning to fly SilkAir if that makes any difference.
Old Dec 29, 2014, 6:14 pm

Programs: PR Premier Elite
Originally Posted by manneca
Just want to make sure this is right. I am planning to arrive CGK at 11:35 pm on 28 Aug. Assuming I get to immigration on 28 Aug then that is day 1 for the visa, right? Then 26 Sept would be day 30 so I would need to leave on that date or before? Right now, I'm planning to leave Manado on 23 Sept, but I would like to leave on 25 Sept. I'm just a bit concerned about what happens if the flight is delayed or cancelled. I'm planning to fly SilkAir if that makes any difference.
They count the entire day you arrive and the entire day you leave. So if you arrived on 28 Aug and left 26 Sept you are OK. Overstaying is a prescribed fine per day of overstay but is often handled by bribe instead. ;-)
Old Dec 29, 2014, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by manneca
Overstays are charged at 300k IDR per day. ($25 or so) you can extend a standard VOA once for 355k IDR, although if you do it yourself, it's a bit of a pain in the butt.

Lines in VOA/immigration can be a bit long. You could easily wait until midnight, and get an extra day.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 8:46 am

Does the advice to pay for VOA with exact change in USD apply per person, or can you pay for all travelers at once?

In other words, if there are three of us, can I pay with a $100 and a $5, or do we need three $20s, three $10s, and three $5s?
Old Dec 30, 2014, 4:11 pm

Programs: PR Premier Elite
Originally Posted by silentbob1974
Does the advice to pay for VOA with exact change in USD apply per person, or can you pay for all travelers at once?

In other words, if there are three of us, can I pay with a $100 and a $5, or do we need three $20s, three $10s, and three $5s?
That 'should' be fine. Just hand them all the passports at once in a stack and indicate the payment was for all three. The only issue with not having exact change is that they might try to make change in Rupiah at a very unfavorable rate like 10k IDR/1 USD instead of 12.4k IDR/1 USD like it should be, using the "rounded to the nearest 10" rule Though I have been able to get USD change at CGK before. But not always and not consistently and not at all VOA counters, hence the exact change advice.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 6:06 am

Programs: BA, KL, DL
I got a VOA at Jakarta (CGK) last week, with my British passport. Arrived around 8pm and there was no queue at the VOA desk, I paid with a $50 note and got $15 back (a $10 and $5 note). No hassle at all, and I was through immigration in less than 5 minutes.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 4:11 am

Programs: QF Gold, SQ, AA, HA
There were various reports in the media towards the end of last year suggesting that VoAs for Australians (and a number of nationalities) would become free from 2015 onwards. Does anyone know if this has actually come to pass?
Old Jan 6, 2015, 7:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Is VOA valid for multiple entries for a U.S. Citizen?
Old Jan 7, 2015, 12:53 am

Programs: AA ExPlat HH Diamond
Single entry only.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 11:22 am

Hi guys,

Not sure if this is in the right section (first post!):

I am travelling to Australia via Jakarta Indonesia in August with Garuda Indonesia airlines. The hold time in Jakarta is 11 hours 50 minutes.

I spoke to the Garuda call centre in the UK (I have a British passport) and they said if the hold time is more than 8 hours then you are required to purchase a transit visa for $35 US dollars.

Has anybody had this experience?

Can you not simply wait in the airport rather than go through arrivals and have to purchase this visa?

Thanks for for taking the time to read and hope you can help!

Best wishes
Old Apr 18, 2015, 7:29 am

Programs: SQ, GA, QF
I believe what the call centre told you is correct. You need to get a VOA when your transit time is more than 8 hours. You can verify this by calling the Indonesian embassy in London.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by rizayosia
You can verify this by calling the Indonesian embassy in London.
Indonesian embassies aren't known as A.) helpful and B.) knowledgable.

You'd probably have to pay the airport tax, too. ($150k IDR, $12)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.