Official website for applying for the eVOA

https://molina.imigrasi.go.id
Print Wikipost

Visa / VOA Info for Indonesia

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2015, 12:43 am

Programs: KF,JMB, OZ, SPG,AA,UA,AS
Originally Posted by Penguinmoon
I can verify as well. Had dinner with a friend last night who was asked three times upon arrival if he was here to see you friends. He was firm, kept saying tourism, and got it.
Interesting, I guess it was not an isolated case then. I think what did my friend in was that he has five previous VOA's from the past two years and my address.

However, it does contradict the experience another friend had few days after the visa-free policy was implemented for US citizens. He is a US citizen who visited for a long weekend from SIN. Landed in SUB with no issues obtaining a Visa on arrival, and stayed with me, his first time in Indonesia.

My next guest is coming in October and is flying into CGK. I guess i'll tell her to get the VOA to avoid any hassle.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 3:03 am

Programs: AA, DL, AK, UN, CN
One more trick with the free VOA. You can only depart from the five airports that issue the free VOA. Jakarta, Bali, Surabaya, etc. So if you fly into Bali and then try to leave from Lombok or Yogja, you won't be able to because they can't stamp the free VOA. You'll then be told to fly to Bali or Jakarta to leave.

So be careful if not flying from one of the big airports.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 3:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by ryandelmundo
One more trick with the free VOA. You can only depart from the five airports that issue the free VOA. Jakarta, Bali, Surabaya, etc. So if you fly into Bali and then try to leave from Lombok or Yogja, you won't be able to because they can't stamp the free VOA. You'll then be told to fly to Bali or Jakarta to leave.

So be careful if not flying from one of the big airports.
If you're departing from one of the other airports not on the free VOA list, just buy a VOA for $35, when you arrive.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 9:14 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I just found the restriction on flying from the five airports tonight. I'm off to Jakarta on the 26th and am flying back to Singapore on the Sept 23 through Manado. The restriction isn't listed on anything I've seen including the announcement by the Indonesian government.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 7:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by manneca
I just found the restriction on flying from the five airports tonight. I'm off to Jakarta on the 26th and am flying back to Singapore on the Sept 23 through Manado. The restriction isn't listed on anything I've seen including the announcement by the Indonesian government.
I'm in the same boat. Imagine if we didn't read it on FT and had to fly back to a domestic airport at the last minute? Its completely insane!
Has anyone figured out WHY these airports aren't included ?

Last edited by chavala; Aug 25, 2015 at 5:46 pm Reason: sp
Old Aug 25, 2015, 3:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, BA Gold, UA Gold MM, DL SM MM, Hyatt Glob, HH Diam, Marriott Ti/LT Plat, IHG Plat
From a couple of the recent posts it appears that tourists with US passports now need to wait in only one line, not two, but since one of the posts says you still must wait in "the VOA line" I wonder if someone might clarify. You don't wait in the line to buy the VOA (which is what I have always thought of as the VOA line), but you go directly to one of the lines that leads to an immigration inspector, presenting just your passport, and the inspector gives you the visa? Even if this is correct, I do understand that one must still wait in one of the immigration lines that says "Visa on Arrival", which in my experience at CGK and DPS are usually very long. But I just want to make sure it's now only the one line. Traveling tomorrow. Thanks so much.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 6:09 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat HH Diamond
Are you flying into CGK? If you qualify for a free visa, yes, you only need to get into one line. It will say VISA ON Arrival
(feed right into agents). Do not get into the line that people are paying for a visa, then moving on to the immigration agents.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 6:28 pm

Programs: AA exp, Marriott Amb
I flew in and out of CGK last week, if you're there as a tourist you just go straight to the immigration line, if you're there for work you go to the VOA line and hand over $35.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by melkor
I flew in and out of CGK last week, if you're there as a tourist you just go straight to the immigration line, if you're there for work you go to the VOA line and hand over $35.
I don't think so.

If you are there to work you need a very specific work visa. It is illegal to work on a VOA.

If you need to leave another airport, or want to renew for up to 60 days, a $35 voa is appropriate.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 9:44 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by gpeso8
My next guest is coming in October and is flying into CGK. I guess i'll tell her to get the VOA to avoid any hassle.
Is any of your guest Indonesian born?
Old Aug 26, 2015, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by 9Benua
Is any of your guest Indonesian born?
My guest who was denied the tourist visa at CGK was not born in Indonesia. Multiple VOAs from previous trips, US citizen, Caucasian, casual appearance.

This week a friend of a co-worker was also hassled for hotel reservations when trying to go the Visa Free route at CGK. Penguinmoon has reported that a friend was asked if he was visiting friends.

It might just be bad luck, but judging from what's been reported here and on the TripAdvisor forums it seems that some immigration officials are asking for a hotel reservation if attempting to go the Visa-Free route at CGK. It appears that people coming into Indonesia and staying with friends are deemed here for "Social" purposes and not for "Tourism" purposes.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 6:21 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by gpeso8
My guest who was denied the tourist visa at CGK was not born in Indonesia. Multiple VOAs from previous trips, US citizen, Caucasian, casual appearance.

This week a friend of a co-worker was also hassled for hotel reservations when trying to go the Visa Free route at CGK. Penguinmoon has reported that a friend was asked if he was visiting friends.

It might just be bad luck, but judging from what's been reported here and on the TripAdvisor forums it seems that some immigration officials are asking for a hotel reservation if attempting to go the Visa-Free route at CGK. It appears that people coming into Indonesia and staying with friends are deemed here for "Social" purposes and not for "Tourism" purposes.
My friend (Indonesian born, US Citizen) recently went back to Surabaya for 2 months. Arrived DPS, 29 days later depart SUB - SIN, come into Indo again via Batam & depart from DPS 25 days later.

Both DPS & Batam has no problem issuing him & his family the free visa.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 6:31 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat HH Diamond
So what the take away is here, Immigration is like all things Indonesia, unpredictable. If you have friends coming to visit you (I live here), have then make refundable/cancellable hotel reservations to show an agent if asked.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by 9Benua
My friend (Indonesian born, US Citizen) recently went back to Surabaya for 2 months. Arrived DPS, 29 days later depart SUB - SIN, come into Indo again via Batam & depart from DPS 25 days later.

Both DPS & Batam has no problem issuing him & his family the free visa.
That doesn't surprise me. How the rules are interpreted will unfortunately vary by immigration official.

Since the the visa-free policy has been extended to US Citizens I have had two guest come stay with me, one entered the country at SUB and had no issues with obtaining the free visa and the other entered the country at CGK and had to deal with the very minor headache of having to purchase a VOA.

Immigration is like all things Indonesia, unpredictable.
Great advice. Having lived here for the past 8 years nothing surprises me anymore.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 9:07 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
So what the take away is here, Immigration is like all things Indonesia, unpredictable. If you have friends coming to visit you (I live here), have then make refundable/cancellable hotel reservations to show an agent if asked.
Why not just have them print something -- anything. I don't think you have to actually make a hotel reservation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.