Visa / VOA Info for Indonesia

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2003, 12:45 am
AHO
Original Poster

Visa / VOA Info for Indonesia

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asi...ic/2931609.stm

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/worl...3/04/10/201571

Rumor says that arrival visa at airport will be available with cost of 30 - 35 USD.

It is another extra smash to already suffered Indonesian tourism economy.
Old Apr 11, 2004, 7:47 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Angry Jakarta - on arrival Visa requirement

I found, to my cost that Indonesia requires many foreign nationals (UK, US, Canada, Oz), to obtain a visa on arrival at a cost of $10 for three days or $25 for 30 days.
Booths at Jakarta are 500 yards before immigration and you pay at one and get receipt to hand it at other.
Then you can join the immigration queue, where many other people were being turned back to get their visa. Took 25 minutes to immigrate, as opposed to about 5 in the old days.
Thought you would like to know of this, another reason to avoid Indonesia IMHO.
Old Apr 11, 2004, 11:50 pm

After the usual prolonged period of confusion this was indeed finally implemented in February 2004. As you can imagine, the tourist industry is screaming bloody murder about it, so let's see how long they keep it up...
Old Apr 18, 2004, 4:20 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Is there a link to a list of nationalities impacted by this?
Old Apr 18, 2004, 9:30 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Indonesia is only applying the rule of reciprocity. Before this new system was implemented, citizens of most G8 countries (and very many other nations) did not require a Visa to enter Indonesia. However, Indonesian nationals have historically required Visas por going almost everywhere. Its kind of hard to argue the 'fairness' of this, I think. While each of us can have their own personal reasons for avoiding one place or the other, I dont think that the Visa issue is a fair or pertinent argument, IMHO.

Perhaps its relevant to remember which country started all this immigration/visa and related circus in the first place... whilst I agree that it has its justifications, it was to be expected that Visa requirements would start mushrooming all over the place.

Last edited by Gaucho100K; Apr 18, 2004 at 9:42 pm
Old Apr 18, 2004, 9:46 pm

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Just to add that if you have a Singapore or Chilean issued passport, you will not require a Visa. There are a few other countries, I believe also Brunei has the Visa issue waived. I will look up a link and post it here for everybody to check.

Indonesia is one cool place.... I suggest you all visit. Jakarta is also a great city, if you have the depth to look past some issues like traffic and other negative issues that are very common to many SE Asian Metropoli. Trust me, Jakarta has a lot to offer, its really a hidden gem.
Old Apr 21, 2004, 10:16 am

Programs: AC*SE; HH*Silver; SPG Gold
Question Business Visas?

Are the on arrival visa's in Indonesia only applicable to a tourist visa? I guess I'm wondering, as a Canadian, if I need to obtain my business visa before leaving Canada or if I can do it upon arrival. If I can do it upon arrival, are the documentation requirements (letters from company, etc.) still applicable?

Any hints for a first time visitor (4 day stay) to Jakarta?

Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 21, 2004, 10:59 pm

Señor Jefe--- BTW, nice handle... ^ You can go ahead and get your visa on arrival... I think the best is for you to just play the tourist thing. If you want to be 100% kosher, you should of course apply for a business or commercial visa. While they may start with the usual requests for invitation and sponsoship letters, these are not imperatively needed. However, visas dont come cheap when you do them at the embassy... I just had mine done at the Indonesian embassy in Singapore. I think that you only get your $$$'s worth if you apply for a one year multiple entry visa. However, if you want to do that you will have to contact an immigration 'facilitator' in Jakarta and the head immigration department will have to telex the embassy in your area. FYI, the one year visa I just got cost me S$ 140 for the paperwork in the Singapore embassy, plus a 1.5 million IDR fee in Jakarta (approx. US$ 200). It all adds up very quickly, but in my case it was worth it as Im gonna be here entering the country some 8-10 times in the next few months.

Hope this helps... let me know if you have any more questions.
Old Apr 21, 2004, 11:02 pm

Oh, perdon Jefe!!! I almost forgot... where are you staying? If its your first time in town, I suggest you have your hotel pick you up at CGK. Taxis are fine, as long as you go directly to the Silver Bird line, ignore all the other doodes that will come up to you telling you that the are official. Most Silver Bird drivers understand some English. Jakarta is a cool place, just make sure to look past the traffic and some of the disorder... if you like spicy food, you will have a blast. Looking for nightlife....??? Tell us a little what your plans and tastes are, there are a couple of seasoned CGK veterans around here that will surely point you in the right direction.
Old Apr 22, 2004, 5:25 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, UA LT-Gold, SPG Plat, HH Dia, Hyatt Dia, MR Gold
Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
Indonesia is one cool place.... I suggest you all visit. Jakarta is also a great city, if you have the depth to look past some issues like traffic and other negative issues that are very common to many SE Asian Metropoli. Trust me, Jakarta has a lot to offer, its really a hidden gem.
Any recommendations where to go in JKT? I'm planning on a trip to Bali this summer. Was told that there isn't much in JKT - pretty much a business city. I got friends working there now, but they suggested I go Bali instead.
Old Apr 23, 2004, 8:00 am

Programs: AC*SE; HH*Silver; SPG Gold
Thanks Gaucho. The only legitimate thing in my handle is the 'senor' part. The rest is included to throw my pursuers off track.

I'm a little worried about posing as a tourist, since I will be humping my laptop bag with me. Is there a good deal of questioning at the on arrival Visa desk or is it more of a rubber stamp? I'm still trying to get my business visa here, but time is getting short and my Indonesian colleagues do not seem to have the same sense of urgency that I do!

I haven't yet decided where I'm staying but since the stay is short (3 days) and at the beginning of the week, I expect I won't have much time for nightlife...or anything outside of work for that matter. I do however enjoy a nice cold pint of beer after work...but then again...don't we all.

Thanks for your help.
Old Apr 24, 2004, 7:06 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
OT: Recommendations for short visit

Any must sees or must dos for a short visit to Jakarta? For 2 day stay.

Also any recommendations on accomm would be appreciated.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Apr 25, 2004 at 6:09 pm Reason: Travel plans firming up
Old Apr 25, 2004, 11:01 pm

Programs: Westjet Platinum, Fairmont Platinum RIP, Accor Gold, Marriott Lifetime Silver, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Any must sees or must dos for a short visit to Jakarta? For 2 day stay.

Also any recommendations on accomm would be appreciated.
I just went on a business trip to Kuala Lumpur and Jakarta just over a month ago, and had the most wonderful time! When I first arrived at Jakarta, I too had to get the $10 visa, but no big deal, didn't get questioned by customs/immigration with a briefcase and rollaboard in tow. Traffic can be a bit hairy, and my hosts were a bit concerned about political demonstrations due to the upcoming elections (though I believe the elections are done now?), but my stay in Jakarta was fantastic, the people there very nice and accommodating. Lots of variety of foods, some very spicy!

On the last day I was there (my day off), they took me to Taman Impian Jaya Ancol (Ancol Dreamland) http://www.ancol.com/ which is a huge themepark located on the beach, kinda touristy, but plenty to do to pass the time (including a hotel, marina, beach, waterpark, SeaWorld, very nice art and handicraft market, and a suspended gondola ride to get from one part of the park to the other). We only had a few hours, before doing some shopping, then catching my flight in the evening. They took me to the "Mangga Dua" mall, which has hundreds of computer and electronics shops on four floors that for a geek like me, made me feel like I was in techie heaven! LOTS of bargains there! Then they took me to the ambassador mall, which has a very large, upscale department store inside. Other markets you can get clothing *extremely* cheap!

Just don't spend all your cash, because, in addition to paying $10 US to get a visa to enter the country, you also have to pay an airport departure tax that is $14 US to leave the country! I was fortunate to have a little bit of cash left in my wallet!
Old Apr 29, 2004, 9:04 pm

If your stay is only a couple of days, even if its business or commercial, Im sure you can get by with just a normal tourist visa.
Old Apr 29, 2004, 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by senor_jefe
Thanks Gaucho. The only legitimate thing in my handle is the 'senor' part. The rest is included to throw my pursuers off track.

I'm a little worried about posing as a tourist, since I will be humping my laptop bag with me. Is there a good deal of questioning at the on arrival Visa desk or is it more of a rubber stamp? I'm still trying to get my business visa here, but time is getting short and my Indonesian colleagues do not seem to have the same sense of urgency that I do!

I haven't yet decided where I'm staying but since the stay is short (3 days) and at the beginning of the week, I expect I won't have much time for nightlife...or anything outside of work for that matter. I do however enjoy a nice cold pint of beer after work...but then again...don't we all.

Thanks for your help.
Dont worry about the laptop bag... if they push you (which they wont), you can just say you were on business in SIN and took 2 days off to visit Indonesia. You will be fine.

There are tons places for nightlife around town... let me know where you will finally be staying and then I can finetune some advice.

cheers

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.