Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mendoza (MDZ) - the ultimate Q&A thread

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2016, 1:34 pm
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
I am glad this thread has been bumped because I could not find it before. I did not remember what its title was which was not helpful.

Anyone got any idea of nice full day hikes or walking routes around Mendoza? I will be staying at the Park Hyatt so not looking to locate overnight somewhere else to facilitate my walk. Just travel to somewhere out of town, walk, stop for eats, come back in the evening.

Cheers if anyone has any ideas?
Old May 29, 2016, 1:54 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by JohnnyColombia
I am glad this thread has been bumped because I could not find it before. I did not remember what its title was which was not helpful.

Anyone got any idea of nice full day hikes or walking routes around Mendoza? I will be staying at the Park Hyatt so not looking to locate overnight somewhere else to facilitate my walk. Just travel to somewhere out of town, walk, stop for eats, come back in the evening.

There are many tour operators in MDZ. I have always witnessed the hikers being picked up in the mornings while having breakfast wherever I may be staying in MDZ. Many opportunities. With that said, here is a nice primer from Wine Republic that speaks about some of the opportunities :

https://wine-republic.com/2014/06/01...es-in-mendoza/

Enjoy!
Old May 30, 2016, 10:15 am

This page is chock full of stuff for activities here in Mendoza, including day hikes in the mountains and walks in town:
http://spanishinmendozaargentina.gre...et.au/mendoza/
Old May 30, 2016, 10:21 am
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Flying Machine
There are many tour operators in MDZ. I have always witnessed the hikers being picked up in the mornings while having breakfast wherever I may be staying in MDZ. Many opportunities. With that said, here is a nice primer from Wine Republic that speaks about some of the opportunities :

https://wine-republic.com/2014/06/01...es-in-mendoza/

Enjoy!
Originally Posted by David Beach
This page is chock full of stuff for activities here in Mendoza, including day hikes in the mountains and walks in town:
http://spanishinmendozaargentina.gre...et.au/mendoza/
Both great help thanks, I am more keen to do it as independently as possible as I am really bad when it comes to booking a trip and then failing to wake up on time.

From the second link I see there is a tour operator in the Park Hyatt in case that becomes an option, otherwise looks like there is a lot of info to plough through to put my own day or two together

Thanks a lot to both of you
Old May 30, 2016, 10:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Both great help thanks, I am more keen to do it as independently as possible as I am really bad when it comes to booking a trip and then failing to wake up on time.

From the second link I see there is a tour operator in the Park Hyatt in case that becomes an option, otherwise looks like there is a lot of info to plough through to put my own day or two together

Thanks a lot to both of you
I don't know how soon you're going, but it is "short days and inclement weather" season.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 12:47 pm
CLG

Programs: United Platinum, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Circle
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
My dear Jason,
It isn't so simple as having a list and needing a driver. Your driver will have to arrange for set appointment times, be able to coordinate when (and if) you can get in, distances between locations, and so on. You will have a fee (in the $10 range) at (almost) every place you stop. I would not be surprised if some drivers (and accordingly, their clients) aren't able to get past some of the gates.
I agree that for this type of experience, trying to pinch a few dollars isn't wise. However, since this will be my first trip to Mendoza (as well as Argentina as a whole), is it standard practice for all the arrangements to be made via the tour driver? I'm used to California, where I make all of my own arrangements (schedule and/or appointments), and just tell the driver the stops. This seems like I'm going to have to let someone else be in charge of my destiny!

CLG
Old Jul 21, 2016, 8:20 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
No. You are certainly welcome to make your own arrangements if you so prefer, and then just book the driver to handle the logistics (ie. driving) and nothing more. It will defeat part of the purpose of hiring a proper guide/driver because its very unlikely that a visitor will have the same kind of access to some of the bodegas out there, and there is always the one or another producer that you have never heard of and these guides (because its their job) know all about.

I don't think there is a good/bad, or right/wrong way to go by this... I think everybody needs to make our their own game plan and do what they think is best for the kind of trip & experience you are looking for.

What would I suggest.....? I would go with a full service guide, but still do my homework and give him/her a list of places that you want to visit, with some alternates, while still letting the guide provide about 30-40% of the visits with recommendations from his side.

Originally Posted by CLG
I agree that for this type of experience, trying to pinch a few dollars isn't wise. However, since this will be my first trip to Mendoza (as well as Argentina as a whole), is it standard practice for all the arrangements to be made via the tour driver? I'm used to California, where I make all of my own arrangements (schedule and/or appointments), and just tell the driver the stops. This seems like I'm going to have to let someone else be in charge of my destiny!

CLG
Old Jul 21, 2016, 8:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
In this case, then I think you are best served by hiring one of the full service drivers. See my other post with details, as I am sure you can do this and still have absolute control of where you will go and what you will visit.... you just have to do your homework and supervise what the driver will plan for your day(s).

Originally Posted by CLG

CLG
Old Aug 26, 2016, 2:14 am

From my pal, Celeste:

"Schedule for free buses from the Mendoza bus terminal to catch the planes out from the diverting airports (San Juan. San Rafael, San Luis)), with departure times for each flight, each airline, each day linked: http://transporte.gov.ar/content/not...ER_1471889587/
For the Sept 7-Dec 7 Airport Shutdown, there will be specific shuttles for each flight waiting on arrival at the airports, and they will go to the Mendoza downtown bus terminal, Platforms 1 to 10. The same platforms will be where the flight-specific shuttles will leave for the airports. You will have a seat if you are on the passenger list for the flight. The airlines are supposed to advise when to catch the bus at the Mendoza bus terminal. Latest announcment from govts.

The website and documents are in Spanish; however, Rebecca Litovsky has written some directions on how to use the bus schedule, including a glossary of important words, below.
How to Read the Bus Schedule
To use the bus schedule, click on the link above, scroll down to the airlines you’re flying with (Aerolíneas Argentinas or LATAM Airlines..the old LAN), and click on the day of your flight.
Vuelos: Flights
Hasta: Until (Hasta el 29/10 = Until October 29)
Lunes: Monday
Martes: Tuesday
Miércoles: Wednesday
Jueves: Thursday
Viernes: Friday
Sàbado: Saturday
Domingo: Sunday
Then, look at the second chart that says Hacia Terminal Ómnibus Mendoza (To the Mendoza Bus Terminal). Locate your airport and flight number to see what time your bus will depart from the airport and arrive in Mendoza. Do the same on the first chart to find out when the buses leave from the Mendoza Bus Terminal for the different airports.
Horario: Schedule
N° de Vuelo: Flight Number
Horario de Vuelo Partida: Flight Departure Time
Aeropuerto: Airport
Terminal de Ómnibus: Bus Terminal
Desde: From (Desde terminal de ómnibus = From the bus terminal)
Hacia: To/Towards (Hacia el aeropuerto = To the airport)
Partida: Departure
Arribo: Arrival
Upon leaving Mendoza, plan on arriving to the Mendoza Bus Terminal at least 30 minutes prior to the scheduled bus departure. Present your boarding pass or check-in information at the ticket office to receive your bus ticket.

For more ideas, read Rebecca's webpage: http://rebeccasinternationalkitchen....-closure-2016/ "

Last edited by David Beach; Aug 26, 2016 at 2:15 am Reason: la forma maldita
Old Jan 11, 2017, 7:45 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, BA Executive- Blue, Lifemiles, AA Advantage, VIA Rail Preference, Iberia Plus
Originally Posted by CLG

CLG
+1
I also prefer making my own plans. Although I do admit, I wouldn't have seen and learned as much in Champagne on my own vs. the 1/2 day tour I did.

Just wondering how your trip was and if you have any suggestions, either pro or against?

I'm leaning towards booking a taxi/remis for a day (how much do they go for roughly? Just a driver that is) contacting the vineyards myself and then making a plan of what's in the area.

I'm leaning towards Valle de Uco, but depending on the cost of a driver, might try to do one on a Saturday, and another on Sunday.

While I also plan on asking on Guildsomm for some possible ideas, I thought I'd ask here to see what some fellow FT'ers thought.

Sadly, I likely won't be a certified sommelier by the time of my trip (late May), but also need to plan a vineyard trip in Chile as well...

Sorry to get off track here but thanks in advance!
Old Jan 12, 2017, 6:06 am
CLG

Programs: United Platinum, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Circle
Originally Posted by iceblueshoes
+1
I also prefer making my own plans. Although I do admit, I wouldn't have seen and learned as much in Champagne on my own vs. the 1/2 day tour I did.

Just wondering how your trip was and if you have any suggestions, either pro or against?

I'm leaning towards booking a taxi/remis for a day (how much do they go for roughly? Just a driver that is) contacting the vineyards myself and then making a plan of what's in the area.

I'm leaning towards Valle de Uco, but depending on the cost of a driver, might try to do one on a Saturday, and another on Sunday.

While I also plan on asking on Guildsomm for some possible ideas, I thought I'd ask here to see what some fellow FT'ers thought.

Sadly, I likely won't be a certified sommelier by the time of my trip (late May), but also need to plan a vineyard trip in Chile as well...

I'll let you know - it's still a few months away. Really looking forward to it, though!

CLG
Old Jan 12, 2017, 6:42 am

Location: Washington D.C. via Sao Paulo via Houston via Washington D.C. via Boston via New York
My outline for Mendoza (I rented a car and drove with my wife and MIL) I would try different places next time and skip zuccardi (although their olive oil is very good, their wines, not so much). The real stunner was the posada cerrada at ituzaingo, the owner was amazing and dinner was something my MIL still talks about. It was a fantastic experience and can't wait to go again.

Luján de Cuyo

Saturday -

Achaval-Ferrer - http://www.achaval-ferrer.com/eng/index_en.php#contact

Lagarde (lunch) - http://www.lagarde.com.ar/en/home?sc=en

Vistabla - http://www.bodegavistalba.com/en/win...r-wine-lovers/

Dinner - http://www.ituzaingoresto.com.ar/

Uco Valley -

Sunday -

Salentein - http://www.bodegasalentein.com/en/contact/index.html

Diamandes - http://www.diamandes.com/eng/enoturismo.html

The Vines of Mendoza - http://www.vinesofmendoza.com/visit-...valley-winery/

Dinner - http://www.vinesofmendoza.com/visit-...valley-winery/

Monday -

Luján de Cuyo

Catena Zapata - http://www.catenawines.com/eng/contact.html

Carmelo Patti - very small - http://www.experiencemendoza.com/en/...carmelo-patti/

Kaiken - http://www.kaikenwines.com/ingles/tours.html

Maipu

Zuccardi - http://www.familiazuccardi.com/home_en.php

Last edited by macdonaldj2; Jan 12, 2017 at 11:24 am
Old Jan 12, 2017, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by iceblueshoes
+1

You will find that many places (if not most) have fixed group tasting times. Just about every place has a relatively modest fee.

One thing that I will recommend beyond everything else is that you arrange for lunch at La Azul as your last stop of one day. And you will certainly need a driver after that lunch.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 11:12 am
Original Poster

La Azul is absolutely one of the places that are NOT to be missed !!!! ^ ^ ^
Old Jan 12, 2017, 3:19 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, BA Executive- Blue, Lifemiles, AA Advantage, VIA Rail Preference, Iberia Plus
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
You will find that many places (if not most) have fixed group tasting times. Just about every place has a relatively modest fee.

One thing that I will recommend beyond everything else is that you arrange for lunch at La Azul as your last stop of one day. And you will certainly need a driver after that lunch.
Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
La Azul is absolutely one of the places that are NOT to be missed !!!! ^ ^ ^
tasting fees are fine. I understand wine is a business and money needs to be made.

As for La Azul, the only mention of a price I saw was about $40 Canadian which seems too low even though there are multiple mentions of it being a deal of a place. Is it that low/true? I find it a bit hard to believe a 5 course meal with wine would be so little.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.