Mendoza (MDZ) - the ultimate Q&A thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mendoza (MDZ) - the ultimate Q&A thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2015, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Does this tour include tastings at each of the stops? or does that cost extra? I am looking for an affordable way to experience the different wineries nearby since I will be traveling solo.
The price only includes transportation, it is not a tour, but rather a hop-on / hop-off service by a bus company.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
I can't say. But I recommend this group http://www.troutandwine.com/mendoza1.asp They let me pay in Pesos (which if you use the blue market is very advantageous for you and will make the trip quit affordable). Also, they may put others in the van which I found nice since I was traveling solo too (some company while tasting). Everything was included, even lunch.
Im trying to do the whole thing for <$100 with maybe 2-3 wineries tops. Curious how to do the blue market thing though
Old Apr 28, 2015, 6:59 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Im trying to do the whole thing for <$100 with maybe 2-3 wineries tops. Curious how to do the blue market thing though
Read these threads: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/argen...ge-cuevas.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/argen...ange-rate.html

Will save you a bunch when in Argentina ^
Old Apr 28, 2015, 8:07 am

Programs: UA Plat, Copa Pres. Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG LT Gold, Marriott Gold
I went with Trout and Wine (on TravelinSperry's reco!), and would also recommend them. You won't be able to get the price under $100pp though, even with blue market factored in. If you deduct the cost of a very nice lunch (could easily be a nice dinner) when mentally accounting for the price of the wine tour itself, you might be able to get close though. We had 3 winery tours + wine with lunch at a 4th.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 1:55 pm

Programs: AS 75K, AA EXP, Hilton Gold
In early December I plan to fly into Santiago, take a bus to Mendoza and then rent a car for a week and drive around the area, returning to Mendoza. Any suggestions as to a car rental company or what areas I should cover? Gracias!!
Old Jun 5, 2015, 2:45 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by bkkth
In early December I plan to fly into Santiago, take a bus to Mendoza and then rent a car for a week and drive around the area, returning to Mendoza. Any suggestions as to a car rental company or what areas I should cover? Gracias!!
I will leave the Itinerary up to others. However, please note: Car rentals are rather pricey in and around Mendoza from my personal experience. I have access to different agencies and preferred rates. I had sticker shock when I saw the prices compared to what we have grown to expect in the USA.

As to the Bus, I like Andesmar, fun route too. You can purchase your ticket online (on their site) If you like the first row of seats on the upper level are coveted and very nice (book in advance if you want them Especially in December)

Safe travels..
Old Jun 5, 2015, 5:46 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by Flying Machine
I will leave the Itinerary up to others. However, please note: Car rentals are rather pricey in and around Mendoza from my personal experience. I have access to different agencies and preferred rates. I had sticker shock when I saw the prices compared to what we have grown to expect in the USA.

As to the Bus, I like Andesmar, fun route too. You can purchase your ticket online (on their site) If you like the first row of seats on the upper level are coveted and very nice (book in advance if you want them Especially in December)

Safe travels..
Car rentals are pricey but the blue rate will help mitigate the cost somewhat (be sure to pay Pesos upon return). I rented from Budget in Argentina... decent enough car/price (best I could find). But why limit your search? Price out all the primary agencies, EuropeCar, Budget, Avis, Hertz, etc. There is a road next to the Sheraton where all 4 companies are located (aside from the a/p of course).
Old Jun 5, 2015, 5:54 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
For Mendoza, if one wants to truly enjoy winery visits I think driving is a bad idea. Best to hire someone like Miguel Sanz, its money very well invested.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
For Mendoza, if one wants to truly enjoy winery visits I think driving is a bad idea. Best to hire someone like Miguel Sanz, its money very well invested.
I was in Mendoza and used an alternate company to Mr Sanz (who was also recommended by Gaucho).

Last edited by Gaucho100K; Jun 6, 2015 at 6:56 pm Reason: heresay
Old Jun 5, 2015, 8:38 pm

Programs: UA Plat Marriott Gold Hyatt Diamond
I was in Mendoza and used an alternate company to Mr Sanz (who was also recommended by Gaucho).
Who did you use? I'm heading there in a few weeks..

Last edited by Gaucho100K; Jun 6, 2015 at 6:56 pm
Old Jun 6, 2015, 8:20 am

Programs: Several here and there, but not as many during my road warrior days!
Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
We used Miguel Sanz in April and had a great time. His english skills are only lacking in written communication. He toured us for two days.
Old Jun 6, 2015, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by Jalen500
Who did you use? I'm heading there in a few weeks..
Scroll up on this page of the thread and you'll see who I used. Enjoy your trip, Mendoza is a lovely area!!
Old Jun 6, 2015, 6:54 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by sonomawine
We used Miguel Sanz in April and had a great time. His english skills are only lacking in written communication. He toured us for two days.
Glad you used Miguel and all went well. Thanks for reporting back !!!!

^ ^ ^
Old Jun 7, 2015, 7:48 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
I travel to MDZ quite often. There are many providers of services to Tour the Area. Wine Tasting Tours, Adventure Tourism, River Rafting, Hot Springs etc. In light of that, perhaps we can start a Wiki or another Sub Thread in the Argentina Foum that could help expose the vast array of these services.

As we can see. Mr. Sanz receives kudos from the Board. However, there are others. Why don't you post you personal experience for all of us to share. Mendoza is going through a Big Change as Many Wineries are Discovering that Wine Tourism is a Growing Business. Let's share our knowledge, so others can gain. I invite the First Post, and look forward to the information. Thanks and Safe Travels
Old Jun 7, 2015, 8:14 am

Programs: UA Plat Marriott Gold Hyatt Diamond
Scroll up on this page of the thread and you'll see who I used. Enjoy your trip, Mendoza is a lovely area!!
Thanks. Found your link, that company looks like a good option.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.