Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mendoza (MDZ) - the ultimate Q&A thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2022, 5:39 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Hello Sullim-- very happy to read that you were pleased with Miguel Sanz. He is hands-down the BEST in the business... no contest. Sadly, he cant clone himself but even when he is booked, he will almost always be able to farm you out to one of his associates. I have been sending folks to Miguel for over a decade now and he has NEVER once failed me. The most important thing is that you enjoyed Mendoza and will consider recommending it to your wine loving friends & acquaintances, word of mouth is what Argentina and Mendoza need to continue to develop its tourism industry.

As an Argentine native (now mostly based in the USA), I thank you for your visit and hope you are able to return soon, Mendoza thanks you for your Patronage and looks forward to serving you in the future !!

Please feel free to PM me should you need anything.

Cheers,
Alex / Gaucho100K
sullim4 likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2022, 8:57 am

Thanks both of you. Alex and Mike

Originally Posted by sullim4
Alright, we have 2 out of 3 days completed with Miguel. Kudos to Gaucho and everyone on here that recommended him. Miguel is an amazing guide that knows Argentine wine inside and out, and he selected wineries and meals that have been stupendous and matched perfectly to our preferences. This experience has been miles above others we’ve had in Europe and the US.

For day 1, we went to Budeguer, Andeluna, and Azul for lunch. Azul - holy cow. What a meal. You guys weren’t kidding about the lunches being huge. After two wineries and a 5 course meal/wine pairing at 2:30, there is no need for dinner! The pork loin and ribeye were to die for. All three had excellent wine as well.

Today was Maipú, with Karim Mussi’s bodega to start, then Finca Savina, and finally lunch at Agostino. Karim's wine was probably the best but it was also the most expensive by far. Savina had our first Bonarda of the trip and a great charcuterie plate. Agostino - they just keep feeding you! All excellent.

Some things that pop out at me - I am very surprised to see how prominent Cabernet Franc is here. I think we’ve tasted more of this than any other varietal. While we’ve tasted a fair amount of Malbec, it hasn’t been as prominent as I thought it would be.

Second - you’d be a fool not to have someone plan an itinerary for you that knows the area well. Unless you are familiar with the smaller producers yourself, and want to go through the hassle of tracking down all of the bookings, just leave this to someone who knows their stuff.

Finally - Argentina is fully open for business. I haven’t seen a single mask anywhere here, which has been a relief compared to Chile earlier this week. It’s OT for this thread, and I get that the restrictions there end in a few days, but going to Chile is like walking into a time warp a year ago where the mobility pass is still supposedly a thing and people are wearing masks all the time, even outside on the street.
Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
Hello Sullim-- very happy to read that you were pleased with Miguel Sanz. He is hands-down the BEST in the business... no contest. Sadly, he cant clone himself but even when he is booked, he will almost always be able to farm you out to one of his associates. I have been sending folks to Miguel for over a decade now and he has NEVER once failed me. The most important thing is that you enjoyed Mendoza and will consider recommending it to your wine loving friends & acquaintances, word of mouth is what Argentina and Mendoza need to continue to develop its tourism industry.

As an Argentine native (now mostly based in the USA), I thank you for your visit and hope you are able to return soon, Mendoza thanks you for your Patronage and looks forward to serving you in the future !!

Please feel free to PM me should you need anything.

Cheers,
Alex / Gaucho100K
Gaucho100K and sullim4 like this.
Old Oct 2, 2022, 10:04 pm

Programs: AS; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Gold; NEXUS
Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
The recommendations for Mendoza+Miguel (as well as the nearby Chilean regions across the Andes) will definitely be forthcoming from us to our wine friends. I think the region is overlooked by many people in the US as a wine destination. It feels like a combination of lack of awareness, the fact that restaurant wine lists and grocery stores use Argentina as a primary source for bargain basement bottles - thus associating the region with inferior product, and that many Americans hear "South America" and instantly paint the entire continent with a broad brush thinking it's an unsafe place to go, even though Mendoza is safer than many American cities.

Especially for people in the PNW, who are often interested in both wine and the outdoors, this corner of the world offers a ton to outdoorsy wine enthusiasts. We thoroughly enjoyed our visit to Chile (Santiago, Colchagua Valley, and San Pedro de Atacama) as well as Argentina (to Mendoza). We visited 13 wineries in all across Mendoza and Colchagua, bringing home 11 bottles in our wine check suitcase (only two of which contained any malbec!), and in the process met some amazing people who were enthusiastic about meeting us and showing us around their bodegas, rather than being pushy and trying to move product, which is the overwhelming feeling in US tasting rooms. We also did some amazing hikes and outdoor sightseeing in the Atacama Desert in Chile.

Overall, this was one of the best vacations we've ever taken, and I would heartily recommend Mendoza for any wine enthusiast.
Gaucho100K likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2022, 8:48 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Nice thread on Twitter on where to eat and drink in Mendoza

Nice thread on Twitter on where to eat and drink in Mendoza thanks to Buenos Paladaires:

mkm4 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.