Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mendoza (MDZ) - the ultimate Q&A thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2014, 7:56 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by catmndu
I'm starting my third day (sadly my last) of touring Mendoza. Miguel has been my extremely able guide for this trip. He has picked the right wineries to go to and has picked some excellent lunch locations. My lunch at La Azul with some nice wine pairings was to die for.

I really can't recommend Miguel highly enough!
Thanks for reporting back on Miguel. Ive said enough times that Miguel is the best option in Mendoza, but its great than someone else can confirm my own personal experiences... ^

Last edited by Gaucho100K; Oct 12, 2014 at 7:12 pm Reason: correct grammar
Old Jun 7, 2014, 7:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Time traveller
I am looking to rent a car at MDZ to drive out to Aconcagua. When checking all the major rental car companies online, none of them seem to have cars with automatic transmission. Can anyone recommend any rental car companies that have automatic transmission cars?
Automatic transmissions are still quite rare for rental cars in Argentina, unless you are going very-high end (ie. imports from Germany and Japan) and those high end cars for rent are extremely hard to come by. I wont go as far as saying that its impossible to find a rental with an automatic, but it will not be a walk in the park and you can expect to pay a premium on what will already be an expensive rental.

Considering what you will have to spend on finding an automatic, you are far better off by hiring someone like Miguel Sanz and be driven around.... and remember to weigh in the fact that you will be able to enjoy a lot more wine if you don't have to worry about driving......
Old Aug 28, 2014, 8:44 pm

I'm heading to Mendoza in January and reading through the 35 pages was actually not too hard. My girlfriend will be with me for 3 nights and 2 days before she heads back to the states while I have another 2 days and 2 nights. We will definitely visit some of the recommended wineries but I was also interested in doing some more outdoorsy/active events.

Can anyone recommend a good TA or tour guide to do things like kayaking, horse riding, or hiking the andes? It looks like I can take a bus to Aconcagua and hike around there for 6-8 hours before taking a bus back but was wondering if there were other options available.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 2:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Spicpics
I'm heading to Mendoza in January and reading through the 35 pages was actually not too hard. My girlfriend will be with me for 3 nights and 2 days before she heads back to the states while I have another 2 days and 2 nights. We will definitely visit some of the recommended wineries but I was also interested in doing some more outdoorsy/active events.

Can anyone recommend a good TA or tour guide to do things like kayaking, horse riding, or hiking the andes? It looks like I can take a bus to Aconcagua and hike around there for 6-8 hours before taking a bus back but was wondering if there were other options available.
I suggest you contact Miguel Sanz, aside from Wine related activities, he will also be able to take you to the outdoor related venues - he has all the contacts you will need in Mendoza. Please feel free to PM or email me for details on how to contact Miguel.

Cheers,
Alex / Gaucho100K
Old Oct 11, 2014, 6:44 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat
I've read this thread but I am a little unclear on which wineries are recommended for a Sunday trip, since it appears many will be closed. I will only be in Mendoza for a day, arriving at 9:30AM and leaving on Monday at 11:00AM. I will be staying at the park hyatt. Any recommendations for wineries to go to on Sunday?

Thanks!
Old Oct 11, 2014, 7:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by peezondeez
I've read this thread but I am a little unclear on which wineries are recommended for a Sunday trip, since it appears many will be closed. I will only be in Mendoza for a day, arriving at 9:30AM and leaving on Monday at 11:00AM. I will be staying at the park hyatt. Any recommendations for wineries to go to on Sunday?

Thanks!
Your best bet it to hire someone like Miguel Sanz who will be able to tell you where you are able to visit on Sunday, and he will take you there so you can enjoy your visits and not have to worry about driving, etc.
Old Oct 11, 2014, 8:39 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Another Opinion

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
Your best bet it to hire someone like Miguel Sanz who will be able to tell you where you are able to visit on Sunday, and he will take you there so you can enjoy your visits and not have to worry about driving, etc.
Not Sunday specific, but wanted to give another perspective..While the MDZ Tour Jockeys are a viable group. They tend to stick together. Any experienced MDZ Wine Person, sees the usual suspects outside of the "usual" places. Not much more than a canned tour, fancy lunch and high matintenance experience. If you are one whom wants a more organic tour, I would stay away. Along with the finder fees the touts get. (not saying that is you Gaucho 100K) but from my experience, its runs with the land..The Norte Americanos get the short stick in MDZ. This is from an Importer whom has visited since 2009 until current.. (over 20 visits). Get out and explore, look for your own and you will find some off beat places along with the with a canned tour. experience if that is waht you are seeking. Thanks and Safe Travels..

Last edited by Flying Machine; Oct 11, 2014 at 8:55 pm
Old Oct 12, 2014, 7:21 pm
Original Poster

It would not be fair to say that Miguel Sanz is one of the usual Tour Jockeys, that's just not how he operates. Miguel will put something together according to what you want to see, and he has contacts in both large and small operations. Im ITB here in Argentina, so I will regularly facilitate new contacts to Miguel so he can keep his touring options updated. Its not the Norte Americanos that get the short stick, its all visitors that don't do their homework (no matter where you are from) that may get the short stick... so I urge everybody with a keen wine interest to do your preparation reading and research, and then make sure you supervise whatever list of visits your tour guide or operator of choice puts together for you.

I will go on the record again as saying that Miguel Sanz is a first class guide and no traditional Tour Jockey. I regularly send him by best clients and all come back with rave reviews...

Disclaimer: I am in no way affiliated with Miguel Sanz and his operations, I am however a long time customer of his transportation services. I am involved in the Wine Business (I own a High-end Wine Merchant business based in EZE).
Old Oct 27, 2014, 5:03 pm

Another very satisfied client of Miguel Sanz, we wouldn't hesitate to use him again or recommend to friends. In addition to being a great guide and providing good advice, Miguel had been able to secure great venues for the tasting within some of the bodegas. The cellar room in Pulenta was particularly memorable.

We did 2 days touring (Uco Valley & Lujan/Maipu) and had a nice mix of boutique/family & a few big destination bodegas.

We did
Domiciano de Barancas
St. Diego
Mendel
Lagarde (with lunch)
Carmello Patti (absolutely engaging "garagista")

Pulenta
Andeluna
Salentein
La Azul (with lunch)

There weren't any bodegas we didn't enjoy, although if I had to pick one, Andeluna's over-oaked Aussie/California style (very much reflecting the last owners style) was, IMO, out of step with the more subtle use of oak elsewhere.

Given the current currency issues, as long as you have cash, it's an absolute bargain and even cheaper than South Africa as a quality wine destination.

Last edited by Kgmm77; Oct 27, 2014 at 5:10 pm
Old Jan 29, 2015, 6:34 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
I am looking forward to doing some wine tasting in Mendoza! But I am there for 3 1/2 days and personally cannot wine taste this many days. Unlike most of you, I don't spit out as much as I should So I'm wondering, can you recommend some other fun activities to do in the area and city?

Oh and also... re wine tasting. If I was solely to choose between Uco Valley or Luján de Cuyo for wine tasting... which should I choose? I prefer reds... and love great scenery and smaller boutique wineries. For lunch, I prefer pasta/pescado (because I do not eat carne).
Old Jan 30, 2015, 9:00 am
Original Poster

I suggest you contact Miguel Sanz and tell him that you want a mixture of winery visit(s) with other activities. He will be able to put something together something for you to consider.

Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
I am looking forward to doing some wine tasting in Mendoza! But I am there for 3 1/2 days and personally cannot wine taste this many days. Unlike most of you, I don't spit out as much as I should So I'm wondering, can you recommend some other fun activities to do in the area and city?

Oh and also... re wine tasting. If I was solely to choose between Uco Valley or Luján de Cuyo for wine tasting... which should I choose? I prefer reds... and love great scenery and smaller boutique wineries. For lunch, I prefer pasta/pescado (because I do not eat carne).
Old Jan 30, 2015, 5:59 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
I suggest you contact Miguel Sanz and tell him that you want a mixture of winery visit(s) with other activities. He will be able to put something together something for you to consider.
I agree. I have sent you a few PMs to get his contact info. Perhaps when you have a moment you can send across

As to other activities, I prefer to do them solo were possible (rent a car & go for a hike, etc.)... so if anyone has any suggestions I'm all ears.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 4:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
I agree. I have sent you a few PMs to get his contact info. Perhaps when you have a moment you can send across

As to other activities, I prefer to do them solo were possible (rent a car & go for a hike, etc.)... so if anyone has any suggestions I'm all ears.
PMs answered......
Old Apr 24, 2015, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by David Beach
The vitivinticola drop-off-drop-on bus no longer goes to Valle de Uco, it instead visits the bodegas in the area around Lujan de Cuyo and is run by Turismo CATA: http://www.busvitivinicola.com/?mod=bus-textos
Does this tour include tastings at each of the stops? or does that cost extra? I am looking for an affordable way to experience the different wineries nearby since I will be traveling solo.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Does this tour include tastings at each of the stops? or does that cost extra? I am looking for an affordable way to experience the different wineries nearby since I will be traveling solo.
I can't say. But I recommend this group http://www.troutandwine.com/mendoza1.asp They let me pay in Pesos (which if you use the blue market is very advantageous for you and will make the trip quit affordable). Also, they may put others in the van which I found nice since I was traveling solo too (some company while tasting). Everything was included, even lunch.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.