Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mendoza (MDZ) - the ultimate Q&A thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2017, 12:41 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Very Valid points... staying in the Uco Valley does cut your night-life options. Having said this, for those looking for "action" at night I wouldn't have MDZ on a short-list in the first place. So a balance of some nights in Uco and others in Mendoza proper, or perhaps Chacras de Coria (as an alternative) are a very good way to go.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 3:52 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
Usually in Mendoza we stay in Chacras de Coria. It's urban enough to have good restaurants and bars but rural enough to be green and relaxed. It's my favourite area in Mendoza city.
Old Jan 21, 2017, 10:37 am

Programs: Aeroplan, BA Executive- Blue, Lifemiles, AA Advantage, VIA Rail Preference, Iberia Plus
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Try booking a round trip (with a 7 day minimum stay, etc) and see if it is cheaper - you can toss the return.
Even this is a lot but thanks for the suggestion.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
La Azul is absolutely one of the places that are NOT to be missed !!!! ^ ^ ^
Is lunch at La Azul fixed-price, and do you select your own wine, or is it included in the price? From the comments here, it certainly seems like the place to have lunch!

I'm also headed down to San Rafael for a couple of days to get "off the beaten track." I was there once, many years ago, and liked the rural, non-touristy atmosphere. Any food, wine or general tips for that area?

EDIT: I just got the below information from La Azul. BTW, they're closed Mondays.
I'm definitely going to try them, but I'll need some other Mendoza area restaurants, too. I'm not necessarily looking for the absolute "best" restaurant, just ones that have excellent food, pleasant atmosphere, reasonable service and good value. Any recommendations? I see some other restaurants mentioned in this thread, so I guess I'll start "researching" them, and looking at sites like tripadvisor. Thanks.

• Visit and tasting (1) .................................................. .................$ 200 per person.

• Lunch (2) .................................................. .................................$ 620 per person.
(5 course menu + wine tasting + visit to the winery and Gran Reserva wine tasting).

• Children's Lunch............................................. .............................$ 280 per person.

• Lunch a la carte (3):
o Entry ........................... from $60
o Main Course ................ from $ 250
o Dessert .........................from $60
o Wines .............................. from $ 80 to $ 450 per bottle

Prices are in Argentine pesos.

(1) Visiting Days and Hours: From Tuesday to Sunday: 10:30, 11:30, 16:00 and 16:30 /Spanish, Portuguese or English.
(2) Days and Hours Lunch: From Tuesday to Sunday from 12:30 to 15:00.
(3) Does not includes visit.

Last edited by iahphx; Feb 28, 2017 at 9:48 am
Old Feb 28, 2017, 2:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Pricing aside, I think La Azul offers a different type of Mendoza meal experience. The same can be said for the lodging services at their Posada.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 6:20 am
CLG

Programs: United Platinum, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Circle
Pricing aside, I think La Azul offers a different type of Mendoza meal experience. The same can be said for the lodging services at their Posada.
Thanks for the perspective. Would you say that their pricing is on the high side for the area, or comparable? I'm trying to set some expectations.

Also, what do you mean by a "different type of experience?" Much better (I'm hoping!)?

Thanks,
-CLG
Old Mar 1, 2017, 7:48 am
Original Poster

Prices and their relative impact on a budget is a very very personal thing. I would never consider La Azul to have high-prices, perhaps others should also chip in with comments. And yes, by different I do mean it in the very positive sense.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Prices and their relative impact on a budget is a very very personal thing. I would never consider La Azul to have high-prices, perhaps others should also chip in with comments. And yes, by different I do mean it in the very positive sense.
From the reviews, La Azul doesn't seem inexpensive, but definitely sounds worth it. I think you'd have to go to Stellenbosch in South Africa for a better winery lunch deal.

What's the "next best" option for a winery lunch in Mendoza? I figure I can't go to La Azul every day (and they're closed Mondays).

And what's convenient to the Park Hyatt in Mendoza for dinner? Including, perhaps, more casual restaurants. After a 5-course winery lunch, I'm not sure how hungry we'll be for dinner.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 9:18 am
Original Poster

Just to name a short few places that come to mind....

I like Familia Zuccardi, Ruca Malen has a nice restaurant although I'm not crazy about their wines, and Alejandro Vigil's Casa El Enemigo is another place I would recommend.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 11:18 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by iahphx
From the reviews, La Azul doesn't seem inexpensive, but definitely sounds worth it. I think you'd have to go to Stellenbosch in South Africa for a better winery lunch deal.

What's the "next best" option for a winery lunch in Mendoza? I figure I can't go to La Azul every day (and they're closed Mondays).

And what's convenient to the Park Hyatt in Mendoza for dinner? Including, perhaps, more casual restaurants. After a 5-course winery lunch, I'm not sure how hungry we'll be for dinner.
I had a spectacular winery lunch at Melipel. It's located very close to Ruca Malen, and I think their wines are better than Ruca Malen's.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 6:02 pm

Location: Washington D.C. via Sao Paulo via Houston via Washington D.C. via Boston via New York
Lagarde has a great lunch. Near the PH you can go to one of my favorite places - Ituzaingo it's a closed door will need to email and see if he has availability.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 9:58 am

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Just had lunch at La Azul on Tuesday. Best meal of our trip. Tried to book 3 days prior and they were full (it was carnaval - so very busy with Brazilians), but luckily tried again in the morning and they had a cancellation. Bill for 2ppl was ARS 1120 for a 5 course meal, paired with wines (free refills if you ask kindly). The place is fantastic and super relaxed, service is friendly, and the food was delicious regional dishes, especially the slow-cooked pork for main, which just melts in your mouth. Wines are pretty good, and you can pickup some decent bottles of Malbec or Sauvignon Blanc for AR$80 (U$5) which is such a bargain it's ridiculous.

The big letdown was Primula: cute place, but absolutely chaotic service. Only 4 simple mains on the menu (lasagna, tagliatelle, pork ribs) and yet they managed to take 2h to bring them.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 10:30 am
Original Poster

Many thanks for your report !!! ^^^

Are you coming by EZE on your return back home...?

Cheers,
Alex / Gaucho100K

Originally Posted by RafKa
Just had lunch at La Azul on Tuesday. Best meal of our trip. Tried to book 3 days prior and they were full (it was carnaval - so very busy with Brazilians), but luckily tried again in the morning and they had a cancellation. Bill for 2ppl was ARS 1120 for a 5 course meal, paired with wines (free refills if you ask kindly). The place is fantastic and super relaxed, service is friendly, and the food was delicious regional dishes, especially the slow-cooked pork for main, which just melts in your mouth. Wines are pretty good, and you can pickup some decent bottles of Malbec or Sauvignon Blanc for AR$80 (U$5) which is such a bargain it's ridiculous.

The big letdown was Primula: cute place, but absolutely chaotic service. Only 4 simple mains on the menu (lasagna, tagliatelle, pork ribs) and yet they managed to take 2h to bring them.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 10:58 am

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Are you coming by EZE on your return back home...?
Afraid not - this was an overland return trip from SCL. Still waiting for a direct flight between GIG-MDZ!
Old Mar 2, 2017, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RafKa
Thanks for the update. I'm looking forward to my visit.

Has anyone had lunch at the nearby Gimenez Riili winery? They get good reviews. I'm trying to find out more information.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.