Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Argentina
Reload this Page >

Where/how to get dolar blue exchange rate?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where/how to get dolar blue exchange rate?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2015, 4:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.2mm, Kimpton IC, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
During our stay we found three underground cambio locations in neighborhoods outside the center. Look for places that say "compra oro" or are conspiciously unmarked (venetian blinds, a buzzer, a prominent address). Unfortunately, they are only open bankers' hours (M-F 10-4 or so, closed weekends and holidays), and with this being Carnival we ran out of cash at the blue rate.

After running out of cash, we asked the remaining places we ate and shopped whether they'd accept dollars and, if so, at what rate. One cafe offered 10 pesos/dollar (vs. official rate of 8.6 and blue around 13 now). The other two places wouldn't take dollars at all.

Hope this info helps someone.

Last edited by SJC AA; Feb 25, 2015 at 12:11 pm
Old Feb 16, 2015, 6:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
I'm leaving Wednesday. Saw someone post on TripAdvisor about a place near the Alvear Palace.

But I usually use credit cards and ATM and use little cash as possible.

I may take a couple of hundred dollars but it sounds like the blue rate isn't as attractive as it was previously?

How common is it for restaurants to take USD?

When you charge credit card for the bill, they're not going to try to charge dollars, like some in Europe do with the dynamic exchange rate or whatever they call it, where they give you a worse exchange rate than you'd get from the credit card company?
Old Feb 16, 2015, 7:14 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by wco81
I'm leaving Wednesday. Saw someone post on TripAdvisor about a place near the Alvear Palace.

I may take a couple of hundred dollars but it sounds like the blue rate isn't as attractive as it was previously?

How common is it for restaurants to take USD?

When you charge credit card for the bill, they're not going to try to charge dollars, like some in Europe do with the dynamic exchange rate or whatever they call it, where they give you a worse exchange rate than you'd get from the credit card company?
The ATM/Credit Card rate is 8.68. The blue dolar rate is 12.6-13. That is a significant savings. I suggest bringing more cash ($100's in decent condition) and changing money at the cuevas (you can search FT for that word and you'll find some locations). If you are uncomfortable bringing that much cash - you can also use a service called Xoom. It offers a rate near 11.5 after fees - still a significant savings. Some restaurants and hotels will offer up to 20% off and accept USD. Others won't. Re cc's - those that offer USD billing (some major hotels, etc.) will ask you first whether you want to be billed in USD or Pesos.
Old Feb 16, 2015, 7:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
How does Xoom work you use your ATM card?

Do they have actual offices in BA?
Old Feb 16, 2015, 7:46 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
How does Xoom work you use your ATM card?

Do they have actual offices in BA?
Yes they have locations where you can pick up money you send to yourself in BA. See here for someone who used them and had a nice experience: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/argen...ch-easier.html

I suggest signing up at their website before you leave to make sure everything is set up properly. You can read about how it works there. Or - just go to a bank and get hundreds in USD and exchange yourself in BsAs at better rates.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 3:22 pm

Programs: AA, DL, WN, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott, Hyatt
Are there any specific places to go on Florida for the best rates/safest experience?
Old Feb 18, 2015, 7:43 am

Originally Posted by Travel22
Are there any specific places to go on Florida for the best rates/safest experience?
See here http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/argen...ge-cuevas.html
Old Feb 25, 2015, 12:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.2mm, Kimpton IC, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold

It's insane to use credit/ATM cards in Argentina. You should change money at the blue rate and save 40% on everything.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by SJC AA
It's insane to use credit/ATM cards in Argentina. You should change money at the blue rate and save 40% on everything.
So true. And yet I see people doing it... yesterday at the Sheraton I saw a guy change USD at the front desk for 7.8 to the dollar The front desk lady even said the conversion sheepishly as though she was embarrassed that was the conversion the hotel offered. The guy didn't seem to care... said he needed some Pesos for parking and the like. At least he only changed a hundred. But somehow I get the feeling many people are paying with credit cards.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 4:44 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
There is a fair amount of business travel that just opts for using plastic because its a lot easier to report expenses that way. In this day and age, especially for the larger company, cash expenses are pretty much unheard of. Its usually the smaller company that has a hands-on owner/shareholder that will insist on going the cash route but otherwise people on a corporate trip will just bring out the plastic and be done with it.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 12:11 pm

Programs: Don't even mention it. Grrrrrrr.
Hi, how is UK currency viewed as a candidate for getting Peso in BA please? Can I bring my stash of £50 notes or should I only bring $100 bills?
Old Apr 6, 2015, 12:32 pm
Suspended

Any suggestion for a money exchanger in Recoleta near Juana de Arco mall? PM me if necessary.
Also, I budgeted $200 per day for my stay in BA. Is that enough?
Old Apr 6, 2015, 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by Banana4321
Hi, how is UK currency viewed as a candidate for getting Peso in BA please? Can I bring my stash of £50 notes or should I only bring $100 bills?
I'd bring USD if I were you. They make take your pounds... but you may get a worse rate.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 8:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Banana4321
If I were based in BA I'd certainly take them off your hands at a favourable rate....only because we'll soon be off to the UK.
You can still exchange the £ no problem although it's nowhere near as popular as the US$ or even the Euro so best to bring dollars.....the newer the better. Even if you have to buy them in the UK you'll still come out on top.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 4:27 pm

Programs: Don't even mention it. Grrrrrrr.
Surely you're better off selling at the official rate?!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.