Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 17, 2015, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RobertHanson
As an additional resource for these cards see the threads here: Current Alaska Airlines Card Offers. Previous 2012-2016 Alaska Airlines Card Offers.

If you are applying for a personal AS card, and are not an expert on applying for A/S cards STOP, don't apply yet. Instead read post #3688 in the other AS thread linked above. Believe me, doing that first may save you a huge amount of wasted time and frustration.

Link to enhanced AS card that waives $99 fee for Companion Fare (only pay taxes & fees): 30K miles and $99 CF fee waived

$100 stmt. credit link for 30K card & $22 CF pass:https://secure.bankofamerica.com/applynow/welcome.go Now active, as of 7/19/17

Business card offer of 30K miles

Can you book Cathay flights using AS miles? Probably NOT:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alas...-later-68.html
Print Wikipost

Alaska Airlines Visa

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2014, 8:22 am

Programs: UA 2MM/*A Gold, Alaska MVP Gold, WN A-List, Hertz Platinum, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
Who said anyone "loved" the card? Quite the opposite.

When we first got ours, you could use your companion fare for F. You got a booking bonus of X miles (so long ago, can't remember how much) for each flight you booked.

I still keep mine because, while you can no longer use an F companion, a Y companion on a pricey itin is still pretty sweet. More than compensates for the annual fee.

But I keep it in the drawer except for AS purchases.

Oh, and if you apply for it on board, you get an extra 1,000 miles.
I feel the same way about this. I remember when you used to be able to use the Companion Pass for two F seats. That was a heck of a deal...

Now, I use the pass and then use two of my MVP Gold upgrades to upgrade. At least they don't book into some kind of restricted fare class. I just did this on a trip PDX-SEA-KOA. Upgrades confirmed 30 days out roundtrip. So I get Y bonus, F seats, and a 2-for-1 price. What could be better??? ;-)
Old Jun 6, 2014, 9:09 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
Originally Posted by BankerManUSA
I feel the same way about this. I remember when you used to be able to use the Companion Pass for two F seats. That was a heck of a deal...
Heading off to OGG in 12 days in F using the last of our companion passes that qualified for the F two-fer. Those were the days.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by cblaisd
So, what's the consensus of the experts: Got the 50K bonus Visa in December. Got the miles a few weeks later. Would like to now close the account. Have spent 40K of the miles. Any chance that there would be any attempt to claw back the miles by AS, or am I good to close?
I assume you paid the annual fee.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 9:40 am

Programs: HH Gold, IHG Gold
So, what's the consensus of the experts: Got the 50K bonus Visa in December. Got the miles a few weeks later. Would like to now close the account. Have spent 40K of the miles. Any chance that there would be any attempt to claw back the miles by AS, or am I good to close?
I applied and was approved for the same 50K offer in mid-December 2013. After deciding it wasn't one to hold on to, my original plan was to wait 6 months to cancel just to be safe. However I was itching to cancel sooner for a variety of reasons. After digging through the terms again I couldn't find any fine print about canceling the card and getting penalized. So, I pulled the trigger and cancelled at a few weeks short of 6 months. Although they tried to talk me into another travel card, there was no retention offer. I have not seen a claw back (thank goodness) but YMMV.

EDIT: I should also add that I advised them the reason I was canceling was that it was much better for me to get AS miles using the SPG Amex rather than their own cc. If they added some bonus categories or something (restaurants would have worked for me) I would have been happy to keep using it.

Last edited by G2244; Jun 6, 2014 at 9:47 am
Old Jun 6, 2014, 10:38 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I assume you paid the annual fee.
Yes.

Originally Posted by G2244
I applied and was approved for the same 50K offer in mid-December 2013. After deciding it wasn't one to hold on to, my original plan was to wait 6 months to cancel just to be safe. However I was itching to cancel sooner for a variety of reasons. After digging through the terms again I couldn't find any fine print about canceling the card and getting penalized. So, I pulled the trigger and cancelled at a few weeks short of 6 months. Although they tried to talk me into another travel card, there was no retention offer. I have not seen a claw back (thank goodness) but YMMV.
In order to avoid the misery of talking to them, I was simply thinking about cutting up the card and sending it to them with a letter asking them to report closed at customer request. Bad idea?
Old Jun 6, 2014, 10:46 am

Programs: HH Gold, IHG Gold
In order to avoid the misery of talking to them, I was simply thinking about cutting up the card and sending it to them with a letter asking them to report closed at customer request. Bad idea?
Doesn't sound like a great one - although I have never tried that method. They need to verify it is really you trying to close the account (which you should appreciate). By calling, they can ask a bunch of qualifiers to make sure you are really you. Yes, calling takes a bit of time and they will likely transfer you at least once, but then you know it is done.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 2:09 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by G2244
Doesn't sound like a great one - although I have never tried that method. They need to verify it is really you trying to close the account (which you should appreciate). By calling, they can ask a bunch of qualifiers to make sure you are really you. Yes, calling takes a bit of time and they will likely transfer you at least once, but then you know it is done.
I've recently closed 2 B of A cards by SM. No problem at all. Log into your account webpage, upper right hand side has "help and support", click on "contact us". Choose "credit cards" from the menu, and click on "send a message". Then just title it "cancel this card XXXX", and write this message:
"Please cancel my card ending in XXXX. Thank You". Send it off and you are done. Easy Peasy.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 5:18 pm
Original Member

Programs: AS, UA, HY, Hil, Merr
Just applied for signature card (have gold card from 20 yrs ago), approved in less that 10 seconds on line. Needed to top off some points for international travel. Tiny 25,000 but more if spending reached requirement. Likely will use companion ticket, get bonus points and then go back to one card.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 9:12 pm

Better to just close these cards when the annual fee comes up to lower your total open cards with BoA or just do retention calls when the fee posts ?

Also, any thoughts on whether closing a BoA card after only ~6 months looks bad for future BoA apps?
Old Jul 24, 2014, 9:47 am

I applied for my 3rd card, last one was 6 months ago. I got the "you'll hear from us in 30 days" message. oh well - I'll keep my fingers crossed.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 11:51 pm

Hi everyone

Background: I have 1 active Alaska card and had closed another one last week, last card was approved more than 60 days ago.

I applied for my 3rd card and got a notice that the application was considered a duplicate request so it will not be processed. When I applied, I filled out my current Alaska Airlines mileage number, could that be the issue? or should I just call reconsideration?
Old Aug 2, 2014, 6:33 pm

Applying for second Alaska credit card?

I just received my Alaska airline credit card 30k miles this week and booked my trip to NZ. I heard that the Alaska credit does not limit the amount of applications you have, is that true? If I were to apply for another credit card under the same SSN, will that be okay to take advantage of another 30k miles? Or I need to wait for certain amount of period?

When I apply for my new card, do I need to cancel my old card?
Old Aug 2, 2014, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Here's the link to the existing card thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...ines-visa.html Many people have 2, 3 or 4 cards at once.
Old Aug 2, 2014, 11:33 pm

I got approved, a letter arrived two days ago and then an email that the card is on the way. So can you get more than 3?
Old Aug 4, 2014, 3:35 pm

Programs: AS MVP, A3 Gold, IHG Spire
No need to cancel, I have (2) currently.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.