Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 17, 2015, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RobertHanson
As an additional resource for these cards see the threads here: Current Alaska Airlines Card Offers. Previous 2012-2016 Alaska Airlines Card Offers.

If you are applying for a personal AS card, and are not an expert on applying for A/S cards STOP, don't apply yet. Instead read post #3688 in the other AS thread linked above. Believe me, doing that first may save you a huge amount of wasted time and frustration.

Link to enhanced AS card that waives $99 fee for Companion Fare (only pay taxes & fees): 30K miles and $99 CF fee waived

$100 stmt. credit link for 30K card & $22 CF pass:https://secure.bankofamerica.com/applynow/welcome.go Now active, as of 7/19/17

Business card offer of 30K miles

Can you book Cathay flights using AS miles? Probably NOT:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alas...-later-68.html
Print Wikipost

Alaska Airlines Visa

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2014, 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by SquarePeg
For my card, I tried to downgrade, was told I could to the travel rewards card, then got the AF charged on the new card. After several pointless discussions w/ BoA reps and supervisor, I ended up canceling.
Exact same thing happened to me, ended up canceling as well. Was told the same thing "the fee is attached to the account".
Old Aug 9, 2014, 11:05 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by amybd
Yes, missy is correct. I have had this card for about 10 years, and would like to keep the credit line open, but I don't fly AS much anymore, haven't used the companion certificate in several years, so it just isn't the card for me at the moment.

Yes, still looking for a house, being picky in a seller's market is not helpful, neither was having the accepted offer on a short sale that fell through at the very last minute after over 8 months.
I'm not an expert on this, but it's been posted on a number of threads by people who make a good case of actually knowing, that any cc you cancel stays on your record as if you still have it open, for 10 years. If so, you could just go ahead and cancel that card. Then wait a couple of months, and apply for a new one, and get the sign up bonus.
Old Aug 9, 2014, 4:52 pm

Thanks, it was reassuring that other people have been told the same thing at least. I tried again and got the same story and cancelled the card today, not sure what it might do to our credit score, but I'm tired of this and I guess I will find out.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by amybd
Thanks, it was reassuring that other people have been told the same thing at least. I tried again and got the same story and cancelled the card today, not sure what it might do to our credit score, but I'm tired of this and I guess I will find out.
The only way it might harm your credit score is if it that card was a large chunk of your outstanding credit limit. If so, using whatever other cards you have left will mean a higher credit usage score, which is a negative for credit rating. If like me you have a wallet full of ccs, and thus a large amount of issued credit, it won't make any significant difference.

In the long run, the more ccs you have, the better your credit rating. Assuming of course that you use them perfectly.

Never ever pay less than the total billed amount, never be even a day late with a payment, and whenever possible pay off most if not all of your charges before the bills even post. Then you'll be fine.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 5:10 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
For those who are comfortable with a large stack of credit cards, have use for the companion pass, this card should be of interest. In my case, I get MUCH better value using Avios to book awards on AS: 25k RT SAN-HNL, OGG or LIH; 4.5k RT SAN-SJD, believe 7.5k SAN-PVD. Lots of options to earn Avios, including Chase Sapphire Preferred and Ink Bold/Plus, all with 40 - 75k new app bonus. My LT elite status on AA provides free checked bags, free exit / bulkhead row seating, early boarding.

As others have also mentioned, B of A is not the most consumer, user friendly...
Old Aug 13, 2014, 2:41 pm

Anyone else get a bonus with more than 2 cards?? Looking for more data points but can't seem to find anyone with more than 2. I currently have 2 cards and am looking to apply for a 3rd. I need the points for a trip come October. Should I cancel one now and apply in September or roll the dice and just apply for a 3rd? Thanks in advance!

My two other cards were approved in January and April of 2014.

Originally Posted by Duffman
I'm on my 3rd card. Have gotten the $100 credit both other times but on my latest app the rep says he sees the 25k offer but no statement credit .

Guess I'll just have to wait till the statement closes and then call BoA :/

Last edited by sftravelninja; Aug 13, 2014 at 3:05 pm
Old Aug 14, 2014, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by sftravelninja
Should I cancel one now and apply in September or roll the dice and just apply for a 3rd? Thanks in advance!
In the past, I would keep several open when reapplying, for fear of being blacklisted by B of A for canceling too soon. Not any more, since I have seen zero reports of anyone having problems canceling too soon. And I have seen some not really conclusive, but worrying none the less, posts about B of A being more worried about issuing new cards with the old ones still open.

I don't think you have to wait a full month after canceling, but why not cancel at least one, if not both, wait maybe 10 days for that to work it's way thru the system, and then reapply.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 10:43 pm

Programs: HH G, MR/SPG G, IHG Plat, Club Carlson G, National Exec
$100 statement credit

When I googled "bofa alaska visa 100 statement credit", this was the first result: https://www.applyonlinenow.com/USCCa...ry?sc=VAB6CK#b. I got approved after calling recon. I will report back if/when the statement credit posts.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by moler
When I googled "bofa alaska visa 100 statement credit", this was the first result: https://www.applyonlinenow.com/USCCa...ry?sc=VAB6CK#b. I got approved after calling recon. I will report back if/when the statement credit posts.
From that link: "This one-time promotion is limited to new customers opening an account in response to this offer." Since I've had around 5 of these cards already, with one still open, I'm afraid they wouldn't consider me a "new" customer.

But thanks anyway, since my wife is about to apply for an Alaska card, and she hasn't had one before.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by Brugge
From that link: "This one-time promotion is limited to new customers opening an account in response to this offer." Since I've had around 5 of these cards already, with one still open, I'm afraid they wouldn't consider me a "new" customer.

But thanks anyway, since my wife is about to apply for an Alaska card, and she hasn't had one before.
I did not notice this. The definition of a "new customer" is a bit ambiguous, though... The one I just got approved for was my 2nd one. When I asked the credit analyst specifically about the statement credit, he didn't raise any red flags even though he's well aware that I already have one of these. I'll see if it posts in the end. Fingers crossed!
Old Aug 29, 2014, 5:35 pm

Programs: MR, UR, AA, AS, HH Gold, SPG Gold, HGP, RR
Originally Posted by moler
I did not notice this. The definition of a "new customer" is a bit ambiguous, though... The one I just got approved for was my 2nd one. When I asked the credit analyst specifically about the statement credit, he didn't raise any red flags even though he's well aware that I already have one of these. I'll see if it posts in the end. Fingers crossed!
I can confirm that I got the $100 statement credit on card #2. Card #1 had been closed only a few months.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by SquarePeg
I can confirm that I got the $100 statement credit on card #2. Card #1 had been closed only a few months.
My card #1 is still open (had to get the lines on my other BOA cards stripped to the minimum to get #2 approved). I'll find out in a couple of months if I have any luck.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 12:18 am

Programs: Hertz 5*, SPG Gold, Hilton Silver, Very Confused
just saw the $100 credit offer after applying and getting approved for the signature card this weekend. Any chance I can call B of A to get the credit applied? Any special number to call? Would be nice to essentially have the annual fee waived.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 2:36 am
Formerly known as FTRox87

Programs: AA/US 1M, AS, BA, CX, EK, EY, JL, KE, LH, NH, OS, QF, QR, TG, UA/CO | *$G
App'd for the AS Visa Sig 25k card yest and while (instant) approved, I believe they only approved me for a Plat Plus cause of the $2k CL. Kinda peeved at this slimy BofA tactic cause I have excellent credit, low util, good history with BofA. I mean I knew about it but had never experienced this: apply-for-one-card-get-approved-for-lower-version.

Do I have any recourse calling the recon line and either asking them to bump me upto the visa sig and/or move credit around from other BofA cards to have the min $5k and honoring the VS bonus?

I have 3 of these: 2 personal & 1 biz. Kept em all open, figured I'd be viewed as a good AF paying customer. But looks like I should have cancelled a cpl of these before my latest app for a better chance of auto approval for the VS :/
Old Sep 3, 2014, 6:59 am

Programs: MR, UR, AA, AS, HH Gold, SPG Gold, HGP, RR
Originally Posted by FTRox87
App'd for the AS Visa Sig 25k card yest and while (instant) approved, I believe they only approved me for a Plat Plus cause of the $2k CL. Kinda peeved at this slimy BofA tactic cause I have excellent credit, low util, good history with BofA. I mean I knew about it but had never experienced this: apply-for-one-card-get-approved-for-lower-version.

Do I have any recourse calling the recon line and either asking them to bump me upto the visa sig and/or move credit around from other BofA cards to have the min $5k and honoring the VS bonus?

I have 3 of these: 2 personal & 1 biz. Kept em all open, figured I'd be viewed as a good AF paying customer. But looks like I should have cancelled a cpl of these before my latest app for a better chance of auto approval for the VS :/
Based on the other info you provided, you may have reached your max credit with BoA. Sounds like you otherwise would have qualified for the Signature card. Maybe they can move credit from one of your other cards to get you to the 5k needed for the signature.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.