Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Air New Zealand / Virgin Australia Trans-Tasman Alliance Information

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air New Zealand / Virgin Australia Trans-Tasman Alliance Information

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2013, 12:15 am

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Just travelled on VA domestic for the first time since they transferred to Sabre system. Now their boading pass is showing my Gold Elite status as Partner Platinum. I hope that means we get all the perks as Velocity Plat?
Old Aug 28, 2014, 5:55 pm

http://www.ausbt.com.au/virgin-austr...n=home-flipper

From Mar 2015, VA will install business class on all their New Zealand based 737 fleet. Now what will NZ do?

Last edited by Xiaotung; Aug 28, 2014 at 6:37 pm
Old Aug 28, 2014, 6:34 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by Xiaotung

From Feb 2015, VA will install business class on all their New Zealand based 737 fleet. Now what will NZ do?
Put the price up for Works Deluxe seats up to business class prices and offer it as business class?
Old Sep 1, 2014, 4:14 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, KQ Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Gold, Choice Gold

From Mar 2015, VA will install business class on all their New Zealand based 737 fleet. Now what will NZ do?
Not holding out any hope that NZ will introduce J on the A320s (or for that matter, allow us to use shorthaul RUs on these VA J seats), but it'll be interesting to see if they sell TT J seats as part of the codeshare. Am I correct in thinking you can currently only buy the equivalent of Works Y on VA through NZ, but not Premium Economy? It'd be great to be able to book J seats on VA with an NZ code, thus earning NZ status points on a decent TT product out of places other than Auckland.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by DomesticGoddess
Am I correct in thinking you can currently only buy the equivalent of Works Y on VA through NZ, but not Premium Economy? It'd be great to be able to book J seats on VA with an NZ code, thus earning NZ status points on a decent TT product out of places other than Auckland.
That's correct. You can only book Seat, Seat+Bag, Works and Business on VA metals. NZ and VA were meant to announce some changes on the alliance later in the year. Does Luxon have the guts to drop Works Deluxe and add Business back to A320s? I think its possible. VA just keep making NZ look stupid.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 9:24 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Can anybody remember what was the Air NZ seat config was when they had business class on the A320s?
Old Sep 1, 2014, 9:25 pm

Programs: Skywards Platinum, Qantas Platinum, Velocity Platinum, Air New Zealand Gold, Hilton Diamond
VA has and excellent domestic J service on their 737's, I have not had a bad flight yet. This is great news for Tasman services. Looking forward to J to Ch-Ch. Works Deluxe just never impressed me. I hope they keep the evening flights.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 9:27 pm

My thinking around this is that this relates to changes I have heard around the structure of the VA New Zealand operation. Supposedly all aircraft will be returned to the Australian register and the New Zealand AOC no longer used (but VA NZ will still exist). Adding in the business class gives them product consistency and the ability to easily rotate aircraft. This is exactly what JQ do where an aircraft may spend time in NZ, flying the Tasman or in Aussie.

That's my speculation at least. Could be off but we shall see.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 11:37 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by sbiddle
Can anybody remember what was the Air NZ seat config was when they had business class on the A320s?
I think it was 8x J and 145 Y, don't think they will bring it back to all the A320. More likely just the A321 as a sub fleet ex AKL
Old Sep 2, 2014, 4:03 am

Programs: NZ Gold, BA Gold, QF Silver, IHG Platinum Elite Ambassador, Accor Diamond
I would doubt NZ would reintroduce Business Class to the short-haul A320s as well, given that beyond some peak services in Auckland, most traffic is leisure oriented and the flexibility given by having a one-class layout is considerable.

Last 3x I flew A320s TT there were no Works Deluxe passengers. VA may find business class TT enables it to have flexibility with its domestic fleet, and it is a useful experiment in upscaling yields. If loadings are typically not consistently very high, it may be useful and it can offer upgrades to its FFs.

I can see NZ reintroducing Business Class on A321s, with a product similar to the 767s, but beyond that the demand for Business Class from WLG and CHC is minimal, unless NZ's partnership with SQ includes substantial feeds of SQ through SYD/MEL/BNE as well as the direct flights (which is plausible for WLG and CHC particularly).

A middle option would be to rebrand Works Deluxe into a Euro Business Class (which is essentially is) with a curtain creating a variable sized mini-cabin, although the catering would have to be uplifted to a premium standard, and the middle seat blocked out as the premium seating element. However, that wouldn't match the VA offering, nor QF, so would be seen as making NZ business class look inferior.

I suspect NZ will watch the reaction to the VA business class, perhaps it will sell seats in it, and decide if it is worth reinstalling a small business class on the short haul A320s, perhaps with the 787 PE seats with greater recline.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 4:42 pm

Programs: Skywards Platinum, Qantas Platinum, Velocity Platinum, Air New Zealand Gold, Hilton Diamond
[QUOTE=libertyuk;23460136].I can see NZ reintroducing Business Class on A321s, with a product similar to the 767s, but beyond that the demand for Business Class from WLG and CHC is minimal, unless NZ's partnership with SQ includes substantial feeds of SQ through SYD/MEL/BNE as well as the direct flights (which is plausible for WLG and CHC particularly).

I spoke to an NZ cabin supervisor who said that the A321's will have business class to take on QF, but that is when they get delivery which I understand is some time away.

I have been flying on average every week to WLG & CHC and have noticed all Business Class in QF has been full and surprisingly the late three flights out of CHC on EK have all been nearly all full in business class.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 5:34 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by uanthony
I have been flying on average every week to WLG & CHC and have noticed all Business Class in QF has been full and surprisingly the late three flights out of CHC on EK have all been nearly all full in business class.
Don't forget that a lot of the J traffic TT is not point-to-point but through traffic to other destinations.

For example:

EK would be CHC-SYD-DXB-LHR and QF would be WLG-SYD-LAX
Old Sep 4, 2014, 2:13 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by LyingFlat
Don't forget that a lot of the J traffic TT is not point-to-point but through traffic to other destinations.

For example:

EK would be CHC-SYD-DXB-LHR and QF would be WLG-SYD-LAX
Not as much as you might think. A lot of pax are purely trans-Tasman.

BTW EK's CHC flight operates CHC-SYD-BKK-DXB.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 2:35 am

Programs: NZ Elite, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Not as much as you might think. A lot of pax are purely trans-Tasman.
It would be interesting to see the data. Although, the airlines would probably consider it "commercially sensitive." Whenever I've travelled J TT (whether it be NZ/QF/EK) nearly everybody have been on through-fares (although I admit that just me travelling is a very small sample size). I suppose a lot of NZ's J traffic is through traffic from the US due to the flight times.

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
BTW EK's CHC flight operates CHC-SYD-BKK-DXB.
Yes, if travelling solely on EK419. Obviously more direct if going EK419 CHC-SYD connecting to EK413 SYD-DXB.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 3:11 am

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
SYD may not always be the final destination but I would say in my case with QF I notice that over 50% are exiting customs with their bags, so not really international connections. From talking to the crew WLG has really benefitted from the EK alliance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.