Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cabin Temperature

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2015, 10:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Sean Peever
Does anyone happen to know what the SOP is for cabin temp TATL? (curious)
Uhh, it's up to the SD? Are you asking for like a specific temperature? ^
Old Aug 21, 2015, 10:58 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Uhh, it's up to the SD? Are you asking for like a specific temperature? ^
Ya, I am! There is no way a company like AC doesn't have a SOP on cabin temp for their client experience! It would honestly amaze me if they didn't.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 11:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Sean Peever
Ya, I am! There is no way a company like AC doesn't have a SOP on cabin temp for their client experience! It would honestly amaze me if they didn't.
I disagree actually. Every route has different clientele and preferences.

For example, the BR SD was shocked at my USB fan plugged into my pod. I said yeah, it's because you guys usually keep your cabins too warm for my liking. She apologized profusely and said she keeps it at 22'C on the YYZ TPE route because of us hearty Canadians She then turned it down to 21'C because of my fan - which she had never seen before She aged really well too

On routes within Asia, I know BR keeps it at about 23'C or so. I'm very sensitive to temperature.

Applying this logic to AC, I'm sure that there's no way there is SOP for temperature. If I were a betting man....I'd bet not. Then again, ACYYZ/SD would probably be one of the few to know (not listing other SD FTer's name since I don't have their permission here)

But yeah, I bet you the demographics of those onboard, routes, etc it probably is specific to SD. Plus, there's a huge variation that I feel already on my own flights. Some flights I'm cold, some flights I'm really warm...
Old Aug 21, 2015, 11:05 pm

My guess is there is a temperature range. But adjusting it within that range is up to the SD.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 11:05 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
I disagree actually. Every route has different clientele and preferences.

For example, the BR SD was shocked at my USB fan plugged into my pod. I said yeah, it's because you guys usually keep your cabins too warm for my liking. She apologized profusely and said she keeps it at 22'C on the YYZ TPE route because of us hearty Canadians She then turned it down to 21'C because of my fan - which she had never seen before She aged really well too

On routes within Asia, I know BR keeps it at about 23'C or so. I'm very sensitive to temperature.

Applying this logic to AC, I'm sure that there's no way there is SOP for temperature. If I were a betting man....I'd bet not. Then again, ACYYZ/SD would probably be one of the few to know (not listing other SD FTer's name since I don't have their permission here)

But yeah, I bet you the demographics of those onboard, routes, etc it probably is specific to SD. Plus, there's a huge variation that I feel already on my own flights. Some flights I'm cold, some flights I'm really warm...
I should clarify - I don't think there is a SOP for temperature across the entire fleet!

But, I do 100% expect there to be one for temperature for specific routes (within Canada, Canada to Europe, Canada to Asia, etc) for each time of year. And if there isn't, then from an experience point of view they are behind the game and need to get on that fast!
Old Aug 22, 2015, 12:54 am

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
300 Customers, 300 temperature preferences. Men tend to be too warm, Women tend to be too cold. Not uncommon to receive 20 requests per flight to adjust cabin temperature. Up, down, up down...we just comply with requests. Average optimum cabin temp is 22c, but can also vary according to location and aircraft. Overwing exits on the 767 are chilly and as such, I automatically provide extra blankets when available.

If I had my way, the temperature would be set to 18c. .
Old Aug 22, 2015, 1:15 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
^ +1. I couldn't agree more!
Old Aug 22, 2015, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

300 Customers, 300 temperature preferences. Men tend to be too warm, Women tend to be too cold. Not uncommon to receive 20 requests per flight to adjust cabin temperature. Up, down, up down...we just comply with requests. Average optimum cabin temp is 22c, but can also vary according to location and aircraft. Overwing exits on the 767 are chilly and as such, I automatically provide extra blankets when available.

Agreed on the 18C. But actually my wife complains even more when it's too hot. At home too....

The other point that you allude to, differences between different locations in the cabin.

Recently, early on during the night, temperature was fine and I used the blanket. Later on, it became unbearably hot. I ended up removing the blanket *and* leaving my shirt wide open. Even so, it was still too hot.

Someone may have complained and they raised the temperature?
Old Aug 22, 2015, 8:47 am

Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, Marriott Bonvoy LIfetime Titanium/SPG refugee, Hertz Prez, Amtrak Select
+1 vote for 18C!

This is why I try as hard as I can to get on the 767's with the air nozzles. Every little bit helps.

(One of the reasons I fly UA to Asia on their 747--three air nozzles for each FC seat! Blows the cocktail napkins across the cabin! )
Old Aug 22, 2015, 9:30 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Dorian
Had my worst ocean crossing in decades on 850 yesterday.

Couldn't sleep at all as the cabin was almost 24c. I asked an FA about it and she said people still had blankets on. In hindsight I wish I'd escalated to the SD.
I am so with you on this. Temperature needs to go down to sleep. It's generally better for everyone.

Warming up is easier and more comfortable for everyone than trying to cool down. Warming up: add a blanket. Still cold? Add another. Easy, comfortable, doesn't inconvenience anyone. Passengers who ask for the whole plane to go up in temperature because they personally feel cold .... oh this presses my rage button, happened on my last flight with a woman in front of me on Swiss. Asking in a pissed off tone, "Can you turn the heat up? It's too cold in here." (It wasn't).

I don't mind if they want to have it hot in the cabin if they can bring me a fan, but since that's not happening, the choices for those of us with larger mass to surface area ratios is to sweat it out for 14 hours. That means a stinky, sticky, uncomfortable, 14 hours so princess can be happy with ambient temperature.

So the balance point for greatest possible comfort for everyone has to be a lower temperature, especially when sleeping.

Will repeat: they can bring you a blanket if you're cold princess. I'm equally happy if they can bring me a fan, but they won't, so that's how it works.
Old Aug 22, 2015, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
My GF told me the cabin was so warm she said her sleep mask was wet! Those of you who know her can imagine how f'd that is. She is perpetually cold and didn't use a blanket on the flight.
Old Aug 22, 2015, 12:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC Elite 50K, Amex AP Plat, Choice Privileges, National Exec Elite, Via Prefrence

It is on the Q400! Time to switch fleets
Old Aug 22, 2015, 12:55 pm
Suspended

My GF told me the cabin was so warm she said her sleep mask was wet! Those of you who know her can imagine how f'd that is. She is perpetually cold and didn't use a blanket on the flight.
That's just not right.

You have no idea how elated that would make me
Old Aug 22, 2015, 1:08 pm

Programs: AA, AC
Are you a penguin??

Surely people were complaining? No?

I'm usually cold on long-haul flights so my thermal comfort requirements are the opposite of the consensus here. Despite that, I agree with what everyone is saying. Being too hot is absolutely horrible. Being too cold is manageable.
Old Aug 22, 2015, 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by After Burner
Being too cold is manageable.
Only if the cabin crew isn't bloody-minded. Last year I picked an exit-row A seat on a 320 YYZ-SFO flight and froze. FA wouldn't give me a blanket unless I paid for it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.