Wiki Posts
Search

Cabin Temperature

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2015, 9:54 am

Programs: AA, AC
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Put on more clothes?
That's exactly what I do and in most instances it completely solves the problem.

Get another blanket?
Usually they don't have extras and occasionally they completely forget to board blankets.

Ask for a warm beverage?
No way. At all costs I want to avoid visiting that little room that has a pool of urine on the floor.

Vodka?
They never seem to have Grey Goose.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 10:01 am

Programs: AC SE100K, National E/E, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond, MB, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Stranger
First, high altitude air needs to be compressed. After that, whether it needed to be heated or cooled is not immediately obvious. May well actually depend upon the flight altitude.
Actually, it doesn't. On every aircraft using bleed air (everything except the 787) the air has to be cooled, as the bleed air temperature is around 200C. I don't think anyone would want this to be blown into the cabin. And AFAIK the compressed air in the 787 has to be cooled too.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WildcatYXU
Actually, it doesn't. On every aircraft using bleed air (everything except the 787) the air has to be cooled, as the bleed air temperature is around 200C. I don't think anyone would want this to be blown into the cabin. And AFAIK the compressed air in the 787 has to be cooled too.
Should not make a big difference between bleed air or air from a compressor. In both instances, roughly, consider adiabatic compression.

You may well be right that air needs cooling. It is easy to check. First we would need to go look at the standard atmosphere table, then look at the temperature increase that results from adiabatic compression etc. I'll let someone else do the exercise.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 10:22 am

Ever fly TK? I think they set the cabin to "Broil".

Love the airline, seats, food, lounges; but damn does the cabin temp suck!
Old Aug 21, 2015, 10:26 am

Should not make a big difference between bleed air or air from a compressor. In both instances, roughly, consider adiabatic compression.

You may well be right that air needs cooling. It is easy to check. First we would need to go look at the standard atmosphere table, then look at the temperature increase that results from adiabatic compression etc. I'll let someone else do the exercise.
Dont forget to account for the fact that the aircraft is loosing a lot of heat to the atmosphere ...
Old Aug 21, 2015, 10:35 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by Dorian
Had my worst ocean crossing in decades on 850 yesterday.

Couldn't sleep at all as the cabin was almost 24c. I asked an FA about it and she said people still had blankets on. In hindsight I wish I'd escalated to the SD.
You would not wanted to be on my Westjet flight from Las Vegas on Wed. night. Cabin was over 30C for the first 2 hours. Flight landed with a temp. of 25C.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hearna
Dont forget to account for the fact that the aircraft is loosing a lot of heat to the atmosphere ...
Never heard of loose heat.

But seriously, I would not expect that to be terribly signif9icant in comparison with the effect of adiabatic compression.

Admittedly I did not try to work out figures. To start with, one would need data on how well the cabin is insulated.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 10:44 am

Bleed air IS air from a compressor. Specifically the compression stage of the turbine engine.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by After Burner
Bleed air IS air from a compressor. Specifically the compression stage of the turbine engine.
Precisely.

BTW, I quickly worked out the figures.

Assuming at 11,000 m, conditions to be 217K and 22.6 kPa. Pressurization to 2000 m (might be a bit too high), where pressure is 79.5 kPa. Adiabatic compression for an ideal gas with gamma of 1.4 results in a temperature of around 311 K, i.e. 38C. Now, if compression is not quite ideal, and if pressurization is to an altitude a bit below 2000 m, temperature will end up a bit higher.

If using bleed air, I wonder if it might not end up being taken from some compressor stage at a pressure higher than really needed for the cabin?
Old Aug 21, 2015, 11:01 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP

Yes- Just a few weeks ago- TK4 from JFK to IST in J...Cabin was uncomfortably warm...and I was in shorts and a t-shirt for the sleeping portion..

Last edited by Plumber; Aug 21, 2015 at 11:01 am Reason: Spelling ...er...typing!
Old Aug 21, 2015, 11:16 am

Precisely.

BTW, I quickly worked out the figures.

Assuming at 11,000 m, conditions to be 217K and 22.6 kPa. Pressurization to 2000 m (might be a bit too high), where pressure is 79.5 kPa. Adiabatic compression for an ideal gas with gamma of 1.4 results in a temperature of around 311 K, i.e. 38C. Now, if compression is not quite ideal, and if pressurization is to an altitude a bit below 2000 m, temperature will end up a bit higher.
I am impressed. Are you an engineer??

If using bleed air, I wonder if it might not end up being taken from some compressor stage at a pressure higher than really needed for the cabin?
I think so. Excess pressure is plumbed into the cabin and then regulated using an outflow valve. The valve is pretty much always partly open. At least this is how it works in airplanes I'm familiar with. Also bleed can be taken from different compressor stages depending on cabin demand. A later stage will deliver higher pressure and higher temperature air but bleed from the later stage robs the engine of air used for cooling.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 11:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I really don't know how this can be solved when one cabin temperature is perfectly comfortable for some and absolute torture for others.
Originally Posted by vernonc
I think if you are too cold that can be solved to a great extent with more clothes and blankets. If you are too hot, not much you can do other than the clothes come off and that's not something I want to see at 30000 feet. So my vote is with the cold is better group.
Exactly!

If I were ever in a situation where the SD said "no, other people are too cold", I would say "Okay, well they can put on another layer or grab a blanket, or I can take my pants off."

I've only once had to request the temperature to be lowered though, and that was on LH. The FA was rude about it the whole time. Maybe it's because the entire cabin had mentioned it.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 1:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
This is often a problem for me too (guessing >40% of overnight flights). For me, however, the temperature is almost always too low. I really don't know how this can be solved when one cabin temperature is perfectly comfortable for some and absolute torture for others.

Just out of curiosity, how did you know it was 24c?

By any chance was it an A330? It's anecdotal but any time I've found the cabin to be too warm it's an A330 and too cold on 767s -- especially window seats.
FA pulled up the temp on the cabin systems control screen.

Yup, A330.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 1:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member

I fly them all the time and hate the cabin temp. I would triple my flying with them if they'd get it to 21c.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 10:44 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
Does anyone happen to know what the SOP is for cabin temp TATL? (curious)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.