Wiki Posts
Search

Cabin Temperature

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2015, 6:52 am
Formerly known as jsfrSuperElite

Programs: Air Canada SE100K-1MM, Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by Dorian
Had my worst ocean crossing in decades on 850 yesterday.

Couldn't sleep at all as the cabin was almost 24c. I asked an FA about it and she said people still had blankets on. In hindsight I wish I'd escalated to the SD.
Dorian, the same thing happened to me on AC 016 on Aug. 23rd.

In the middle of the flight, I went to the galley and asked what was the temperature at. The flight attendant checked and told me it was set at 24 Celsius...

I told him it felt uncomfortable and asked if it could be lowered, to which they set it at 22 Celsius.

Even CX on flights to North America keep the temperature at 21-22, but the highest and most uncomfortable temperature was on JAL with 25 Celsius.... when I told the JAL flight attendant that the cabin temperature was a bit too hot, she came back and had brought me a glass of water with ice cubes...

Last edited by jsfrSE; Aug 27, 2015 at 6:59 am
Old Aug 27, 2015, 7:33 am

1st week of Aug was on did a YEG-YYC-LHR-YYC-YEG trip, J cabin was too warm which I expected. Had gone with golf shirt, shorts and sandals, both ways.
Still over heated the minute I used the blanket, woke up sweating damn uncomfortable.
I find AC errors too warm on most flights and try to dress for it.

Fly out next Saturday on vacation YEG-YYZ-CDG, may whine/ask on boarding if they can please turn the heat down on YYZ-CDG leg
Old Aug 27, 2015, 7:45 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Pardon me but as ACYYZ/SD said why not bring it up on your AC flights with the SD??
Old Aug 27, 2015, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Pardon me but as ACYYZ/SD said why not bring it up on your AC flights with the SD??
it is called being realistic, polite and not self absorbed,

There are >20 people in J cabin, my comfortable temperature is not the same as everyone else. (I am comfortable down to very low temps) Everyone asks some are not going to be happy with result.

That said wife is with me this time and if she feels too warm I'll whine/complain/ask for relief, probably just ask on boarding what temp is set to and ask for 22 or less if possible.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 8:04 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by xLuther

There are >20 people in J cabin, my comfortable temperature is not the same as everyone else. (I am comfortable down to very low temps) Everyone asks some are not going to be happy with result.

That said wife is with me this time and if she feels too warm I'll whine/complain/ask for relief, probably just ask on boarding what temp is set to and ask for 22 or less if possible.
Chances are if you are uncomfortable someone else is. Sharing feedback does not mean you are self absorbed. You may be doing others a favor.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
Did you at anytime ask the SD or alternate crew member to adjust the temperature??
I asked the SD - the response was they would "try" - whatever that means. The temperature never dropped throughout the flight.

I take exception to this if I have to make this request on every flight I'm on. I haven't stated this before but on many of my TATL flights the cabin is very warm. For whatever reason I find TPACs to be ok. No clue why. It was just that yesterday took the cake as one of my worst flights ever in terms of comfort (or lack thereof).

I'm not going to do this every gawddamn time. I'm on AC an average of 3 to 4 times a week doing long hauls. Why do I have to do this every single time? Why can't they make the temperature reasonable? Heck, just drop it down by a couple of degrees and Bob's your uncle.

Originally Posted by xLuther

Totally agree.

I try to balance my requests and take into account that the crew might be busy or preoccupied. I don't want to make multiple requests to put the temperature down and I don't want to do this on every TATL I'm on. But yesterday was just absolutely unbearable.

Last edited by tcook052; Aug 27, 2015 at 10:00 am Reason: merge separate posts
Old Aug 27, 2015, 8:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Most studies have shown ideal human ambient sleeping temperature is 65-68F. When the cabin is running at 75 sleep becomes nearly impossible for some.

IF the cabin were set at room temperature, 70-71F, it would be a good average between sleeping and being awake (but still too warm for me).
Old Aug 27, 2015, 9:18 am

Programs: AC S100K
Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
300 Customers, 300 temperature preferences. Men tend to be too warm, Women tend to be too cold. Not uncommon to receive 20 requests per flight to adjust cabin temperature. Up, down, up down...we just comply with requests. Average optimum cabin temp is 22c, but can also vary according to location and aircraft. Overwing exits on the 767 are chilly and as such, I automatically provide extra blankets when available.

If I had my way, the temperature would be set to 18c. .
I went through the temperature setting exercise with our office HVAC. The science was quite interesting. Comfortable temperatures will vary with age, sex, weight, activity level, clothing, season, etc..

My epiphany was learning that the perfect temperature (22-23c for sedentary office workers in summer) will be acceptable to 75% of my colleagues.

The upshot of that is the other 25% are going to fiddle with the thermostat if they can.

My advice is lock it at 22c (or whatever the manual says) and issue apologies and blankets instead of changing the temperature.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 9:53 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by yyznomad
Totally agree.

I try to balance my requests and take into account that the crew might be busy or preoccupied. I don't want to make multiple requests to put the temperature down and I don't want to do this on every TATL I'm on. But yesterday was just absolutely unbearable.
Right. So you have two buckets of beliefs. One is that its too cold. One is that it's too hot. The people who find it too cold complain and complain. So for that bird the temp keeps going up as the people who find it too hot don't say a thing.

So... It ends up too hot. People like ACYYZ/SD want to set it at 18C but can't do so unless passengers like you (based on your status) say something like it's too hot.

My suggestion is that you speak up. It's likely that your feedback would be taken over chumps like me. To be fair I'd be very grateful if you would speak up as I always find it too warm onboard. Trust me when I say the people who are cold all the time whine all the time. And when I hear it I always whine right back.

Put on a damn blanket or something if you're cold. Gosh that pisses me off
Old Aug 27, 2015, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Right. So you have two buckets of beliefs. One is that its too cold. One is that it's too hot. The people who find it too cold complain and complain. So for that bird the temp keeps going up as the people who find it too hot don't say a thing.

So... It ends up too hot. People like ACYYZ/SD want to set it at 18C but can't do so unless passengers like you (based on your status) say something like it's too hot.

My suggestion is that you speak up. It's likely that your feedback would be taken over chumps like me. To be fair I'd be very grateful if you would speak up as I always find it too warm onboard. Trust me when I say the people who are cold all the time whine all the time. And when I hear it I always whine right back.

As I already stated - I absolutely did speak up because this was my worst flight all time when it comes to temperature. SD apologized and said that she "will try", whatever that meant. The temperature did not change (I did not feel anything).

So based on what you're saying, I must speak up every single time I find the cabin warm?

How about AC or whomever makes the rules up - not make the cabins so warm?

I'm sorry but yesterday was over the top toasty. I've had warm-ish flights but this was absolutely stupid.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 10:11 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by yyznomad
As I already stated - I absolutely did speak up because this was my worst flight all time when it comes to temperature. SD apologized and said that she "will try", whatever that meant. The temperature did not change (I did not feel anything).

So based on what you're saying, I must speak up every single time I find the cabin warm?

How about AC or whomever makes the rules up - not make the cabins so warm?

I'm sorry but yesterday was over the top toasty. I've had warm-ish flights but this was absolutely stupid.
Sorry I missed that.

Yes I feel you should speak up every time. How else will you affect change?

The people who feel cold complain every single damn time. If they even think they feel cold they whine. They feel the world owes it to them to feel fine when they don't even bother to put on a sweater or whatever while the rest of us sweat.

I'm tired of crap like this. I urge you to continue speaking up in this one sided argument. I couldn't get out of bed this morning but now I'm so pissed I found the energy

PS. If they don't change the temp remind them of your status in a discreet manner!
Old Aug 27, 2015, 10:14 am

Programs: AA, AC
Let me chime in as a representative of those in the "I'm too cold" camp. I often find the cabin temperature feels cold. But I've never complained about this. I look around and see people looking comfortable with short sleeves while I'm shivering and conclude that it's not the cabin temperature; it's me.

That works for me because I come prepared. It's not a solution for less experienced travellers who don't pack arctic survival equipment in their carry-on. They're captive at 35,000'. It's not like they can walk over to the nearest MEC store and buy a down-filled sleeping bag!
Old Aug 27, 2015, 10:16 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by After Burner
Let me chime in as a representative of those in the "I'm too cold" camp. I often find the cabin temperature feels cold. But I've never complained about this. I look around and see people looking comfortable with short sleeves while I'm shivering and conclude that it's not the cabin temperature; it's me.

That works for me because I come prepared. It's not a solution for less experienced travellers who don't pack arctic survival equipment in their carry-on. They're captive at 35,000'. It's not like they can walk over to the nearest MEC store and buy a down-filled sleeping bag!
Thanks for your concern for thy neighbors. To your last comment though... Why not ask for a blanket? They do have those onboard...

Arctic survival gear? I think some exaggeration is present no?
Old Aug 27, 2015, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by After Burner

AC846 yesterday was over the top hot as hell. I fly TATL/TPAC weekly and I experience what I deem as "warm" cabins but I make do with what I am given. But yesterday was the hottest cabin that I've experienced in my life... my shirt was completely soaked and that was without a blanket.

(no, I did not run a marathon on the plane... I also did no participate in a decathlon event while on board)
Old Aug 27, 2015, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I agree - err the cabin on the colder side and provide blankets.

It's like overcooking your meat - you can't turn back, but if you undercook it, you still have a chance to tweak it.

Either that, or have ice bucket service on board for those who feel hot. Or AC install showers in J. Or AC provide real wetnaps (no, not those crappy ones in the amenity kit).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.