Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Another new route: Announcing YYZ-DXB

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Another new route: Announcing YYZ-DXB

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2014, 10:59 am
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
Originally Posted by Cubiscus
For point to point then EK will smash AC on this as the difference in quality is so much, but I imagine AC are thinking of Star Alliance transfer traffic through Canada in the absence of any direct EK flights to YVR, YYC etc.

AC does have the advantage of having premium economy though, should business allow that but not J.
thinking and Air Canada dont make sense in the same sentence.

Perhaps DXB will be like Delhi.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by why fly
thinking and Air Canada dont make sense in the same sentence.

Perhaps DXB will be like Delhi.
I concur, its an experiment which will not last long. Ask people why they fly EK, the food is good and they know what service means.

Last edited by djjaguar64; Dec 21, 2014 at 6:27 am
Old Dec 21, 2014, 6:03 am

Programs: AC*G-E100K (once again)
I might be biased, but I have a feeling that there is more interest in a YYZ-JNB route than a YYZ-DXB route, at least on this forum.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cooleddie
I might be biased, but I have a feeling that there is more interest in a YYZ-JNB route than a YYZ-DXB route, at least on this forum.
Not to worry, SAA is already planning a YYZ route, so they will beat AC to it.

http://www.moneyweb.co.za/moneyweb-s...ng-champagne-c
Old Dec 21, 2014, 6:56 am

Programs: AC*G-E100K (once again)
Originally Posted by djjaguar64

http://www.moneyweb.co.za/moneyweb-s...ng-champagne-c
I wouldn't trust that article - it's a speculation. SAA plans many things but nothing ever happens lol. And the article suggests taking the A340-600 from PEK and serve YYZ instead... I find that hard to believe given the large capacity and high fuel consumption.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cooleddie
I wouldn't trust that article - it's a speculation. SAA plans many things but nothing ever happens lol. And the article suggests taking the A340-600 from PEK and serve YYZ instead... I find that hard to believe given the large capacity and high fuel consumption.
Every airline makes mistakes, some never learn from their mistakes.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by CloudsBelow
EK were more than welcome to take 6*weekly initially but they huffed and puffed demanding daily freq.
Their neighbours came in and took 3 of the 6 available.
We forget but UAE included AUH and DXB hence the 6x frequency was divided equally between EY and EK ! Either would gladly take their flights to daily if they can !

If AC is hoping to cash in on the lucrative J market, then they better start looking up some limousine services throughout all destinations now. EK passengers are mostly paying full J with only a few using points to upgrade. What about over at AC?
Old Dec 22, 2014, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by Cubiscus
For point to point then EK will smash AC on this as the difference in quality is so much
Do you mean their superior service will smash AC on O/D traffic in the same way VX's superior service and in-flight experience smashed AC on the O/D traffic between YYZ and LAX/SFO?
Or, more like the "smashing" AS's superior product and service handed to AC Rouge for all the O/D traffic between YVR and LAX?
Originally Posted by LittleYHZ
With what seats? Their planes are full and they don't have any more landing rights.
Do we know EK's LF ex YYZ?
I concur, its an experiment which will not last long
Didn't you say the Rouge experiment would not last long too?
Sure they are.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Do you mean their superior service will smash AC on O/D traffic in the same way VX's superior service and in-flight experience smashed AC on the O/D traffic between YYZ and LAX/SFO?
You dont think this is apples and oranges?
VA was a newcomer, and was driven out by aggressive pricing by AC.
There was also virtually no connecting traffic. VA needed O/D traffic.

Even if no people are O/D on YYZ-DXB on EK, they will do just fine with connecting traffic.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by rankourabu
You dont think this is apples and oranges?
VA was a newcomer, and was driven out by aggressive pricing by AC.
That's not what VX's CEO said when he pulled the route.
Further, VX faces the exact same pricing pressure all over the US when entering the mega hubs of competing airlines. Don't see them pulling out as fast as they pulled out of Toronto
Even if no people are O/D on YYZ-DXB on EK, they will do just fine with connecting traffic.
Of course they will. Never questioned that
I was responding to a posters point about EK smashing AC on "point to point" traffic (which I assumed meant O/D).
Old Dec 22, 2014, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was responding to a posters point about EK smashing AC on "point to point" traffic (which I assumed meant O/D).
Wait, werent we assured in the "riled up" thread by AC defenders that there is zero o/d traffic on YYZ-DXB anyway

But yes, if one was flying YYZ-DXB, and all other things being equal (schedule, etc, but especially price) - apart from some AC diehards or super elites - who in their right mind would fly AC over EK, especially up front?
Old Dec 22, 2014, 9:07 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Wait, werent we assured in the "riled up" thread by AC defenders that there is zero o/d traffic on YYZ-DXB anyway

But yes, if one was flying YYZ-DXB, and all other things being equal (schedule, etc, but especially price) - apart from some AC diehards or super elites - who in their right mind would fly AC over EK, especially up front?
Those who prefer the AC hard product? Aka the anti social Penguin types (on airplanes?)
Old Dec 22, 2014, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Those who prefer the AC hard product? Aka the anti social Penguin types (on airplanes?)
Leaving the super-cramped AC Y aside, and not even going to focus the IFE and the food/wine on EK, since you want to focus on seat:

I have no idea what you mean by anti-social. All EK seats are aisle access private cubicles

Anyway, how can one prefer something, when they never experienced the other?
Old Dec 22, 2014, 9:21 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Leaving the super-cramped AC Y aside, and not even going to focus the IFE and the food/wine on EK, since you want to focus on seat:

I have no idea what you mean by anti-social. All EK seats are aisle access private cubicles

Anyway, how can one prefer something, when they never experienced the other?
I read TK, LOL. Posting on FT while still sobering up should be against the rules
Old Dec 22, 2014, 9:36 am

Programs: AC Elite 50K

You don't grasp. EK isn't going to be lowering prices. Their flights, as they have indicated in why they want more landing rights, are full and have been for years. Granted this naturally means the Yield is good. AC adding capacity on their off days, is not going to dent their bookings.

But it also makes it impossible to push AC out of the way.

Why? Because as AC has shown us time and time again, if you are going to "smash" someone you have to add buckets of capacity to the route and make everyone loose buckets of money. Thats what they did to Jetsgo, Canadian, Canjet, Harmony... Even WS discontinued destinations when it was a young Airline because AC decided it needed to predate it... Air Canada is a good predator, its built into the corporate culture.

Anyway in order to "smash" AC on the route EK would need to add double daily A380s which they can't do and never will be able to do because they will never get the landing rights...

Like clouds below pointed out - AS and well everyone got a pretty bad smashing on YVR LAX. AC went from under 400 one way seats a day to about 530ish, then turned around and announced for next summer they're going to 650... (4 X daily 1 767...) Transat has stated they've hurt them... Unlike when AC was predatory in the past, its profitable now, which makes it particularly dangerous.

The ULCCs who may or may not start can expect a swift and almost certainly lethal response out of Air Canada.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.