Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Another new route: Announcing YYZ-DXB

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Another new route: Announcing YYZ-DXB

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2015, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by CloudsBelow
Says nothing more or less than what some of us have been saying all along ........ Passengers set airfares

Think of that the next time you read AC prices are out of touch. Or, no one pays AC's absurd price of $XXXX to fly ABC - DEF

Air Canada is not lowering YYZDXB prices for charity. They're obviously not seeing the CAN>DXB demand they expected at the previous price point. Not going to make any wild assumptions this early but it can't be a good sign when you have to price a nonstop offering the same as connecting itins
Competition and choice. What a pain they are.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 4:52 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by rankourabu
I have been reading over and over here that non-stops command premiums, so what does it say about that nonstop option when it cannot do that?

Let the prices speak for themselves
Y:
KLM $845
AC $850
UA $915
EK $1147

J:
KLM $5352
AC $5511
UA $5576
EK $7161

Now, we ve been told that AC will be able to compete (heck, command a premium) based on their superb 4* service, and loyalty, and basically their awesomeness - and here they are reducing themselves to competing based on price?
I admit I have not checked fares to DXB in particular but I believe there is a price war on with carriers using the lower fuel costs to reduce prices. EY seat sale ends tomorrow and you can get a ticket YYZ-BOM-YYZ for $950ai on multiple carriers incl EY, TK, 9W. If this continues will have to see what it does to DEL pricing
Old Mar 5, 2015, 7:46 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50 UA1k 2MM AA EXP Royal Ambassador SPG Platinum
as the price of fuel comes down so will ticket prices. however AC will be out of DXB quickly, and perhaps then we can have daily EK flights to YYZ and more direct flights from other Canadian cities.
IF AC cant make money to DXB and runs with its tail between its legs, lets hope the govt will stop listening to AC whining and open some competition.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by flybit
as the price of fuel comes down so will ticket prices. however AC will be out of DXB quickly, and perhaps then we can have daily EK flights to YYZ and more direct flights from other Canadian cities.
IF AC cant make money to DXB and runs with its tail between its legs, lets hope the govt will stop listening to AC whining and open some competition.
No, the government's position has always been that the O&D needs to exist to provide additional landing rights. If AC can't make DXB work, that'll if anything be proof the O&D is insufficient for more than the current 3 EK A380s.

If AC pulls out it is extremely unlikely EK gets more landing rights without a change in government or as part of a political trade between governments.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by winnipegrev
No, the government's position has always been that the O&D needs to exist to provide additional landing rights. If AC can't make DXB work, that'll if anything be proof the O&D is insufficient for more than the current 3 EK A380s.

If AC pulls out it is extremely unlikely EK gets more landing rights without a change in government or as part of a political trade between governments.
Maybe thats their plan all along, lose a war, win the battle.
Put DXB on for a winter, know its gonna be a loser, lose as little as possible, and then go cry to the govt that there is no O&D traffic.

Never mind that a chunk of their traffic, however little it will be - will also be transit, and not O&D
Old Mar 5, 2015, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by rankourabu
Maybe thats their plan all along, lose a war, win the battle.
Put DXB on for a winter, know its gonna be a loser, lose as little as possible, and then go cry to the govt that there is no O&D traffic.

Never mind that a chunk of their traffic, however little it will be - will also be transit, and not O&D
I think AC can't really lose with DXB - if it works they can skim EK's traffic, if it doesn't they can **** block EK by saying the O&D isn't there.

DEL on the other hand, needs to work. AC has been saying for so long that the 787s are the savior they've been waiting for regarding India flights (and much of FRA/LHR connections) so if they pull out of that/reduce it, I don't see how AC can argue they have a valid complaint against expanding EK services.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 12:46 pm

What Canadian cities not named Toronto would you suggest EK is eager to serve?
Old Mar 8, 2015, 12:27 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50 UA1k 2MM AA EXP Royal Ambassador SPG Platinum
who cares give them options let them land in any cnd city with whatever they want.
As long as it drives down prices do we really care?
Canadian taxpayers have already paid $1 billion to move our military bases to protect Air Canada, how much more did you want the taxpayer to pay to support your favorite inefficient airline.
Old Mar 8, 2015, 1:19 am

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
People often undervalue Vancouver. There is a strong film industry here, there is a good amount of money, constantly ranked as the 2nd most expensive place to live in the world, etc, etc.

Just because we are out on the west coast I feel we get forgotten .
Old Mar 8, 2015, 1:32 am
Formerly known as tireman77

Am I mistaken or does QR operate a 3 x weekly flight out of YUL?
Old Mar 8, 2015, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by winnipegrev
I think AC can't really lose with DXB - if it works they can skim EK's traffic, if it doesn't they can **** block EK by saying the O&D isn't there.

DEL on the other hand, needs to work. AC has been saying for so long that the 787s are the savior they've been waiting for regarding India flights (and much of FRA/LHR connections) so if they pull out of that/reduce it, I don't see how AC can argue they have a valid complaint against expanding EK services.
This is hilarious, it will not work for AC for this route just like it did not work for DEL and other routes that they abandoned. How many airlines are they going to keep blocking ??? Is that AC's strategy, if it does not fit then convict???
Old Mar 8, 2015, 7:26 am

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Originally Posted by Sean Peever
People often undervalue Vancouver. There is a strong film industry here, there is a good amount of money, constantly ranked as the 2nd most expensive place to live in the world, etc, etc.

Just because we are out on the west coast I feel we get forgotten .
AC declaring YYZ as an "international hub" pretty much put the nail in YVR's coffin for interesting direct AC routes. IMO, we are lucky with what we have.
Old Mar 8, 2015, 10:46 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Based on EKs own push with the business associations and mayors, EK wants YVR and YYC. Not sure if YYC is still a play after oil prices dropped. Also not sure of freq or what aircraft type.
http://www.vancouversun.com/Business...541/story.html
http://www.biv.com/article/2012/1/em...run-at-vancou/
Old Mar 8, 2015, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
who cares give them options let them land in any cnd city with whatever they want.
As long as it drives down prices do we really care?
Canadian taxpayers have already paid $1 billion to move our military bases to protect Air Canada, how much more did you want the taxpayer to pay to support your favorite inefficient airline.
Exactly. I dont care if EK want to open up 3x A380 daily to YHM or YYT.
If they want to lose money, thats their problem. Let the market decide.

The current situation is nothing but subsidy to AC and their JV partners, at the expense of the taxpayer.
Old Mar 8, 2015, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by vernonc
Based on EKs own push with the business associations and mayors, EK wants YVR and YYC. Not sure if YYC is still a play after oil prices dropped. Also not sure of freq or what aircraft type.
http://www.vancouversun.com/Business...541/story.html
http://www.biv.com/article/2012/1/em...run-at-vancou/
Sure .... That's what EK say.
I've long thought a fair answer to this whole deal was to offer ME3 YYZ capacity to match nonYYZ capacity to Canada - Give EK double daily YYZ as long as they operate 2 additional stand-alone daily flights to other Cdn cities.
EK has been much discussed here. I REALLY hope AC doesn't start whining in public like DL et al are doing south of the border while raking in Billions in profit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.