Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Another new route: Announcing YYZ-DXB

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Another new route: Announcing YYZ-DXB

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2015, 6:26 am
Formerly known as tireman77

Originally Posted by yulred
Geographical position. They have excellent access to the Indian subcontinent/South East Asia/Australia.

I think they have 9 or 10 points in India alone plus Pakistan, Sri Lanka. The EU carriers cant operate outside of India (BA has a seasonal LGW-CMB flight). In effect, they're the de facto airline of South Asia, with one stop coverage of just about everything west of the subcontinent - and (ironically) even a transit point to India from Pakistan and Afghanistan. From CPG, they can tap into South East Asia and Oceania.

They're a preferred choice because of superior service. CPG-FRA-BKK vs CPG-DXB-BKK in Y... significant difference in product. As anyone who has flown from N. America or the EU to India over the past two decades will point out, EK has been a boon for the region. 10 years ago, the EU carriers plied the route with rust buckets with no personal IFE etc. Fares were high, service poor, and a misconnect with an India passport meant a night in the terminal at LHR, FRA, CDG etc.

Things have improved somewhat since then; India was one of the first recipients of LH's 748s. LH introduced a whole India-specific product and put its staff through cultural training. BA did the same thing.

http://www.airlinetrends.com/2011/10...mirates-india/

All of that is direct fallout from EK. More frequency to/from India. Better product. Better fares. Where India was once an afterthought for EU carriers like LH, it now gets top of the line products, which is interesting given the narrative of India as a low yield country. Guess that's the benefit of having 'entitled' and demanding pax. Airlines have no choice but to up their standard if they want to be taken seriously. Contrast that with markets like Canada, where pax congratulate themselves on understanding airlines' predicaments - and end up paying more and more for less. Havent crunched the numbers, but won't be surprised if a 1-stop Y to the EU ex-Canada involving Rouge costs around the same as a 1-stop Y to India ex-Canada on mainline products.

EK's own reliance on being the de facto carrier of South Asia (in the context of the EU and N.America) raises questions about YYZ-DXB. Why didn't AC just go all in for DEL instead? I'm not second guessing AC, but the U.S. ties to the UAE have a significant government aspect, and that lot is required by law to 'buy American'.
I understand that, and agree with it for the most part. I'm still gobsmacked that CPG is getting a high density A380. It shows its not a premium route dollar wise. I still wonder if they don't add some sub continent migrant workers from DXB on the plane just to boost their numbers. But I guess I am underestimating the size of the market.

Could you elaborate on the 'going all-in' for DEL? They've announced that route already. What do you mean by 'all-in'?
Old Apr 12, 2015, 6:30 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
EK

Havent crunched the numbers, but won't be surprised if a 1-stop Y to the EU ex-Canada involving Rouge costs around the same as a 1-stop Y to India ex-Canada on mainline products.

True and recently mainline fares to India ex YYZ have been cheaper than parts of EU. Recent Y fares were as low as $910-$950 from airlines incl TK,9W,EY.
EK recent seat sale to DEL in J was $4100.
Old Apr 12, 2015, 6:32 am

Originally Posted by PLeblond
I understand that, and agree with it for the most part. I'm still gobsmacked that CPG is getting a high density A380. It shows its not a premium route dollar wise. I still wonder if they don't add some sub continent migrant workers from DXB on the plane just to boost their numbers. But I guess I am underestimating the size of the market.

Could you elaborate on the 'going all-in' for DEL? They've announced that route already. What do you mean by 'all-in'?
Daily instead of 3/week? I would prefer if AC split between DEL and BOM
Old Apr 12, 2015, 7:15 am

Originally Posted by vernonc
Daily instead of 3/week? I would prefer if AC split between DEL and BOM
I was under the impression it was 4 times weekly. 3 with 787-9 and 1 with 787-8.

So are you saying you this AC should have opened YYZ-DEL & YYZ-BOM instead of YYZ-DXB?

Interesting. I would have thought the 4 weekly introduction to be a more prudent approach. I would assume, as more 787s enter the fleet that BOM is definitely a possibility.

I am not privy to the actual passenger numbers that AC has access to before making these decisions. I do find the DXB flight to be a little...bold, given the competition and the market size. Maybe its just a question of getting your foot into the door.
Old Apr 12, 2015, 7:19 am

Re: DEL - AC is doing 4 weekly. 'All in' = daily / 7 weekly. Right now it's 4 weekly DEL and 3 weekly DXB.

Re: CPH - oddly enough, PIA flies there too, so there must be a Pakistani market of sorts. Throw in one stop connectivity to the likes of MLE and HKT and there's something of a market to work with. They certainly like to fly a lot; despite a population of a shade under 2 million, Copenhagen airport is ay 25 million pax. Contrast that to larger cities like YVR.
Old Apr 12, 2015, 7:23 am

Originally Posted by vernonc
Havent crunched the numbers, but won't be surprised if a 1-stop Y to the EU ex-Canada involving Rouge costs around the same as a 1-stop Y to India ex-Canada on mainline products.

True and recently mainline fares to India ex YYZ have been cheaper than parts of EU. Recent Y fares were as low as $910-$950 from airlines incl TK,9W,EY.
EK recent seat sale to DEL in J was $4100.
AC recent sale interlining with AI/LX/LH was $3200- $3400 in J. UA was in the low $2800s. I've seen lower; these are the most recent ones.
Old Apr 12, 2015, 7:36 am

Re: DEL - AC is doing 4 weekly. 'All in' = daily / 7 weekly. Right now it's 4 weekly DEL and 3 weekly DXB.

Re: CPH - oddly enough, PIA flies there too, so there must be a Pakistani market of sorts. Throw in one stop connectivity to the likes of MLE and HKT and there's something of a market to work with. They certainly like to fly a lot; despite a population of a shade under 2 million, Copenhagen airport is ay 25 million pax. Contrast that to larger cities like YVR.
There is probably a good portion of passengers from Malo/Southern Sweeden too.

I'm not sure if the HD A380 is indicative of the traffic, or the lack of high yield. Also curious, given the distance, that they don't run 2 flights 777/330 combo over 1 380.

Like I said, if they were a retail store, I'd start wondering if they are laundering money....
Old Apr 12, 2015, 7:48 am

I was under the impression it was 4 times weekly. 3 with 787-9 and 1 with 787-8.

So are you saying you this AC should have opened YYZ-DEL & YYZ-BOM instead of YYZ-DXB?

Interesting. I would have thought the 4 weekly introduction to be a more prudent approach. I would assume, as more 787s enter the fleet that BOM is definitely a possibility.

I am not privy to the actual passenger numbers that AC has access to before making these decisions. I do find the DXB flight to be a little...bold, given the competition and the market size. Maybe its just a question of getting your foot into the door.
Absolutely AC has taken a prudent approach. And IMHO DXB has a better J load. But if the argument is that most of EK load is onward connection then it might be easier/competitive to provide a direct service to the 'onward' destination - with the convenience of direct offsetting frequency/price of EK. I do not believe that EK will be the cheapest on this route though they can flex their muscles if they chose to do so. EK loads from YYZ are very good as is - just watch the boarding of any EK flight. While DEL provides connnections to the rest of India so does BOM with enough pax terminating their journey at BOM as well. Onwards connections to all major Indian cities (GOI, PUN, HYD) and also driving distance to some. IMHO based on my last 3 trips to BOM.
Old Apr 12, 2015, 7:50 am

There is probably a good portion of passengers from Malo/Southern Sweeden too.

I'm not sure if the HD A380 is indicative of the traffic, or the lack of high yield. Also curious, given the distance, that they don't run 2 flights 777/330 combo over 1 380.

Like I said, if they were a retail store, I'd start wondering if they are laundering money....
Those 777s come in more handy for short hops into airports like BOM, with limited 380 facilities, and other S Asian airports, where frequency is key - fair bit of O&D traffic.

I don't understand the money laundering argument. There are better ways to launder money than by subsidizing low yield Danes travel to DXB etc. what would this laundering option achieve? Other than to bleed money? Unless of course the route is making them even more money, which answers your question.

What is your rationale for making the claim of/ drawing the comparison to money laundering?
Old Apr 12, 2015, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
So when Norwegian is selling CPH-DXB for <$200, you think they are doing so because they like losing money?

As an aside, flew to DXB at easter, <C$550 RT, AC K fare.
Out of that money, they had to pay EK for LHR-DXB, and GF/BA for DXB-BAH-LHR.

How much do you think AC made on my TATLs YYZ-LHR-YYZ, after splitting the income with the other carriers, maybe $100 income each eay?

On my LHR-YYZ, there was at least 3 dozen people connecting from AI (had those Indian handluggage stamped tags) - again how much did AC make on their portion?

So is AC money laundering, filling planes at $100 a pop for TATL?
Old Apr 12, 2015, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by rankourabu

So is AC money laundering, filling planes at $100 a pop for TATL?
Everything is 'possible' when one adopts the 'offering all possible explanations' approach. No need to provide any rationale or evidence.

How much is YYZ-DXB going for these days? They're going to start making excellent mileage runs soon. Pay as much as EU flights; get 50-100% more miles.

Those TATL JVs have really done a number on EU flights.
Old Apr 12, 2015, 9:09 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Curiosity led me wandering over to see fares
(I'm sure you'll all find lower, but this was a quick search):

eg
April 28 DL via ATL-DXB is $837
There are at least 5 other combos slightly higher in this range

Took a peek at YYZ-DXB for a date in May
Y $1,351
J $6,998
F $13,735
Old Apr 12, 2015, 9:37 am

Clarification on the money laundering comment

I am not accusing anyone of anything.

Its the impression I get when I see a big new business set up, with very little customers that frequent it but is top notch and seems to continue operating despite no one frequenting that business.

And I am not inferring that EK does not have many passengers or is laundering money. Its just that a daily 612 passenger at CPG seems like serious overkill to me.

And I suddenly got the image of these gyms that opened in my city. 3 brand spanking new buildings with top of the line equipment and empty parking lots. Everyone I know goes to the gym (except me) and no one goes to those.

So that is what I was referring to.

Bad analogy, but barring their actually be that much traffic, I fail to explain this move.

Last edited by PLeblond; Apr 12, 2015 at 10:18 am
Old Apr 12, 2015, 10:25 am

I am not accusing anyone of anything.

Its the impression I get when I see a big new business set up, with very little customers that frequent it but is top notch and seems to continue operating despite no one frequenting that business.

And I am not inferring that EK does not have many passengers or is landing money. Its just that a daily 612 passenger at CPG seems like serious overkill to me.

And I suddenly got the image of these gyms that opened in my city. 3 brand spanking new buildings with top of the line equipment and empty parking lots. Everyone I know goes to the gym (except me) and no one goes to those.

So that is what I was referring to.

Bad analogy, but barrign their actually be that much traffic, I fail to explain this move.
Money laundering has serious negative implications; throwing it about as an 'explanation' purely on the grounds that one can't be bothered to actually look into it, choosing instead to draw whatever conclusions one wishes to draw, is a very questionable approach.

A quick search of CPH traffic stats, available even on Wikipedia, reveals that 257,019 pax (sixth freedom or otherwise) flew to/through DXB from CPH in 2014.

That amounts to 704 passengers per day.

EK's highest density 77W can carry 427 pax per day.

427 pax per day = 155,855 pax per year. That's 100,000 pax who cannot physically go to DXB on EK metal. EK is now targeting more of them. Even at 615 seats per day, it's going to fall short of the total route traffic last year.

Is that a better explanation than money laundering? It was easily available all along.
Old Apr 12, 2015, 11:33 am

Money laundering has serious negative implications; throwing it about as an 'explanation' purely on the grounds that one can't be bothered to actually look into it, choosing instead to draw whatever conclusions one wishes to draw, is a very questionable approach.

A quick search of CPH traffic stats, available even on Wikipedia, reveals that 257,019 pax (sixth freedom or otherwise) flew to/through DXB from CPH in 2014.

That amounts to 704 passengers per day.

EK's highest density 77W can carry 427 pax per day.

427 pax per day = 155,855 pax per year. That's 100,000 pax who cannot physically go to DXB on EK metal. EK is now targeting more of them. Even at 615 seats per day, it's going to fall short of the total route traffic last year.

Is that a better explanation than money laundering? It was easily available all along.
Thank you.

And again, I wasn't accusing them (or anybody) of money laundering. I understand the example is probably a little to obscure (or non linear) to easily wrap one's head around it. I'll retract it if that makes everyone more comfortable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.