Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Another new route: Announcing YYZ-DXB

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Another new route: Announcing YYZ-DXB

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2015, 1:59 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by rankourabu
yup, for $250 each way, you can torture yourself for about 20 hours

I dont either. I wonder how much of it is automatic, as a result of some fare-matching algorithm.

I already brought up my DXB trip next week. CAD$700 all in RT x 6 tickets. AC 014 ticket.
AC to LHR, and then EK to DXB. Assuming $560 of that fare is revenue, and the rest her majesty's taxes, etc. That makes it for about $280 each way split between EK and AC. I'd love to know what AC is paying EK for the LHR-DXB leg as part of an AC ticket.

AC will make no more than $150pp each way for ferrying 6 of us to LHR and back, assuming an even split , during busy holiday time, just because they matched EK/KL sale fares to DXB a couple months back.
Talk about junk yield, those seats could have been filled with YYZ-LHR traffic paying much more.
Can you please PM me the details on $700 rt. I would love to do it for that price.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by vernonc
Can you please PM me the details on $700 rt. I would love to do it for that price.
It was a sale matching KLM/AF back in September'ish.

Of course it doesnt match the Wideroe 'deals' where DXB was selling for $250RT last year

btw, trip was great - even an op up for 3 people in my party by AC on the way over

Stepping off EK at LHR and boarding a dirty AC plane back to Canada was a major downer on the way back.
There is just no comparison.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by UA Fan
They could do both. Since this thread was about the DXB route, I mentioned only codesharing at DXB. Now I wonder if AI might be a little hesitant to codeshare at DEL as it could affect their NA revenue.
Since AI isn't flying to Canada, I doubt they care that much. Most US-India traffic will be on AI or UA metal as far as they are concerned.

I would just think that transit through DXB for two non-hub carriers would be a pain in the backside when AC is flying from its hub to AI's hub.

That said, I know many a person who fly EK/EY on their way to South Asia, and often have a brief stopover in DXB. Even just interlining, may allow AC and AI to capture this traffic.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kEiThZ
That said, I know many a person who fly EK/EY on their way to South Asia, and often have a brief stopover in DXB. Even just interlining, may allow AC and AI to capture this traffic.
Already mentioned this, but all current AC fares to India already allow for connections on AI in Europe or elsewhere. They also allow for EY/EK connections as part of the fare.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Since AI isn't flying to Canada, I doubt they care that much. Most US-India traffic will be on AI or UA metal as far as they are concerned.

I would just think that transit through DXB for two non-hub carriers would be a pain in the backside when AC is flying from its hub to AI's hub.

I personally prefer to connect in some international city rather than in Indian city to avoid having to do customs and rechecking bags. Unfortunately AI stopped most of its direct routes to the Gulf from Kerala when they transferred them to AI express and so I still might need to connect within India. I sometimes need to go to BOM so in that case I would much prefer to do DFW-YYZ-DXB-BOM rather than DEL.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 9:20 am

For AC's sake, one would hope they've staked a lot of their business case on feeding other Canadian destinations, rather than serving mostly YYZ-DXB.
Yeah, think they've done a little research.
I'd imagine AC will have a bigger share of the O/D traffic on this route than EK. O/D traffic is almost always more more profitable than connecting
If both EK and AC were to go daily on YYZ-DXB, who do you think would be left standing?
I happen to think a daily AC 787 with feed from all over Canada and some USA would be more profitable than a daily EK A380 taking exYYZ passengers (mostly) beyond DXB.
But, I feel EK would be the one left standing on the route. Just shows you how confident I am the playing field is level.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by ensco
Great to see AC tackling EK head on. They can't just fight this battle in the papers and in Ottawa.
Somehow, I doubt they can fight it in the skies either!
Old Jan 16, 2015, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CloudsBelow
I'd imagine AC will have a bigger share of the O/D traffic on this route than EK.
so just checking on some prices for next November

Y: connecting flights: $854, ok so I understand a premium on non-stops, but...
EK $1154, AC $1327 (Tango)

who in their right mind would fly AC???

J: connecting $3013, EK $4692, AC $5809

now, really, who in their right mind would choose AC?? An inferior product for $1100 more - where do I sign up!
Old Jan 16, 2015, 3:44 pm

Programs: AC E50K

now, really, who in their right mind would choose AC?? An inferior product for $1100 more - where do I sign up!
Damn. I suppose those prices will decrease if the cabin doesn't fill up. Unless AC is counting on a lot of day specific traffic (both the outbound and inbound, would have to be perfect for it to be competition though)

Have a feeling the first few flights will have half empty J cabins.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 3:49 pm
Formerly known as tireman77

Do you think those booking on corporate accounts have the same price discrepancy?
Old Jan 16, 2015, 3:52 pm

Programs: AC E50K
Originally Posted by PLeblond
Do you think those booking on corporate accounts have the same price discrepancy?
Even if the same unless my flight dates needed to exactly match ACs, for the same price I'm flying EK.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 1:17 am

The inferior product is the one which doesn't fly out on the particular day you want. Neither AC nor EK are daily, and they don't overlap operating days. So I suspect business travelers will fly what gets them where they need to be without idling in a hotel 24-48 hours waiting for the next day their airline of choice operates, with a slant towards AC or routing via 3rd city on off days for alliance program purposes.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by winnipegrev
The inferior product is the one which doesn't fly out on the particular day you want. Neither AC nor EK are daily, and they don't overlap operating days. So I suspect business travelers will fly what gets them where they need to be without idling in a hotel 24-48 hours waiting for the next day their airline of choice operates, with a slant towards AC or routing via 3rd city on off days for alliance program purposes.
hold on now, in the "riled" thread, there were numerous assurances by the AC faithfu, that there is zero o/d business traffic between the two cities and on EK noone was actually going to the UAE... Now all of a sudden it exists?
Old Jan 17, 2015, 8:20 am

Programs: AC *G, A3 *G
Hi

Would yyz - dxb - bkk and back be a valid routing for an aeroplan reward?

Thanks
Old Jan 17, 2015, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thai1
Hi

Would yyz - dxb - bkk and back be a valid routing for an aeroplan reward?

Thanks
Yes. And you would be charged YQ for YYZ-BKK overall, not separate ones.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.