Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC says Elites "cheapen" their business class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC says Elites "cheapen" their business class

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2014, 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by CdnFlier
Not withstanding the changes to the program, which will have some negative impacts on my flying and feelings about it all but, not to the same degree as others here, I really appreciate your participation and insights like the above.

I don't just spend time on FT to ask questions about boarding order, or carry-ons, or whatever the topic of the week is, but because also because I find the industry quite interesting. Little insights like the above both surprise me and give some better insight to how you make decisions.

I'm well aware AC needs to generate revenue to be sustainable (although, really it's survived this long without making $...), but there's only so much I'm able to contribute to that. Beyond the big strike items in the FF plan, I find it's often the little things that make me feel valued as a customer - someone noticing a status and saying thanks for flying with us, or the occasional free drink in the back, or a change that doesn't get charged, etc, etc.

One flight that's always stood out to me, was on a Dash-8 a few years back and the FA handed me a handwipe (I was reading the newspaper) and a small bottle of water. When I asked him why, he said he kept the wipes handy for newsprint, but he never drank the bottles of water from his crew meal but, kept them around to give to SEs (or whatever frequent flyers were on the plane). Have to say little staff interactions like that make a difference. In J, having a FA come by and say my name and ask what I'd like for dinner rather than just looking at me and saying chicken or beef makes a difference.

Anyway, bit of a tangent there, but I appreciate the bluntness, however, I wish crews/staff were perhaps a little less blunt sometimes, or further encouraged to recognize FFs - whether it be by the waiving of a fee, helping out with a problem, or even by just saying hello by name and thanks for flying so much with us.

So.. since we don't get any eUps any more..any chance you'll let us use them on AE tickets again?
Great post ^
Old Oct 27, 2014, 8:34 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Originally Posted by ffsim
Very well put ^
I'd hate to see AC minimize or end their participation on FT over this announcement and the ensuing backlash. Their presence on FT benefits the entire community, just as our presence does.
Then that would be AC's loss. FT provides a cost free means of communicating directly with frequent flyers who regularly use AC product.

Originally Posted by tracon
Originally Posted by Ben Lipsey

What I said was that paying for Y and regularly getting J is not a sustainable business practice. Period.

How about when the J cabin costs less than Y cabin?
Maybe AC needs to stop continuously selling the Y cabin below cost, then trying to make up the difference with the front cabin.
Thank you for stating something that should have been said in big bold letters on many threads.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 9:14 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
Then that would be AC's loss. FT provides a cost free means of communicating directly with frequent flyers who regularly use AC product.
Yes, that's what I meant by the very last part of the post you quoted. At the same time, I believe the loss of official AC representation on FT would hurt us frequent flyers who regularly use AC product by eliminating a unique means of communicating directly with AC management.

See what I did there??
Old Oct 27, 2014, 9:25 pm

Programs: AC*SE100K 1MM, Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Originally Posted by Lllahim
What I find most upsetting is lack of information from AC on their long term strategy. They have told us they want to make more money. But what they have not told us is what percentage of the additional revenue they expect from the loyalty program long term and a time table on how they plan to reach that goal. Every term, they come up with a cut which they say will improve their objectives. Without a word on how well the announced cut (e.g. copay) has met the objectives, they come up with one cut after another using the same rationale. It just seems like descent into a bottomless pit. What is the likelihood that the new plans will meet the ever moving target? Do they go to a budget meeting, check the books, then ask Revenue Management to raise $X from the Loyalty Program? RM hurries off to levy a fee such as the ill conceived co-pay that is neither fare nor distance sensitive. If there is a long term plan that impact us, AC should tell us. We may not agree but at least we have a sort of blue print for our own planning.
Exactly. After calming down a bit back at work this week, I went through my flying this year, and concluded that I stayed with AC, I could make it work. But I don't know if they will allow me to make it work moving forward. I would need to have no upgrades domestically, and continue to pay Z or J to Asia/Australia, and use my Eups for Europe. But why would I do that when I could get domestic UG on DL or AA easily out of YYZ, and the same or better upgrades international. NO business sense there. I will have E50 lifetime for the odd AC flight I need. No brainer to switch.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 9:47 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA*1K, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by HerpaYvr
I cant find the thread, but I have posted previously how I hate flying in J when its filled with cons (employees) both on and off duty. When they are all talking shop sharing their AC stories etc, ya that certainly cheapens the product.
I'm not a fan of it on the plane, but a few months ago I shared a shuttle from ORD to the Sheraton with the pilots and FA's from my flight. It was really interesting to hear them talking shop, as one of the pilots had been with Zoom with it was seized, and they were talking about the hallmarks they've identified signal the demise of an airline - and also how many pilots swap around between airlines. It was a fascinating look behind the scenes for me, but then again we were all off-duty
Old Oct 28, 2014, 5:16 am

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by Absolute
I'm not a fan of it on the plane, but a few months ago I shared a shuttle from ORD to the Sheraton with the pilots and FA's from my flight. It was really interesting to hear them talking shop, as one of the pilots had been with Zoom with it was seized, and they were talking about the hallmarks they've identified signal the demise of an airline - and also how many pilots swap around between airlines. It was a fascinating look behind the scenes for me, but then again we were all off-duty
Fascinating, perhaps, unprofessional, absolutely. I think there should be a rule. Employees should not be in uniform when flying in J for free.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 6:04 am

Programs: AC*SE100K 1MM, Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Originally Posted by Ben Smith
We view this a little differently. When the marketplace is not willing to pay us for what it costs to produce our product/service then we need to adapt or die. eg TS is the market leader ahead of both AF and AC on YULCDG. For various reasons we were not able to earn high enough average fares across all cabins to justify the investment in additional aircraft to expand capacity. Up until recently TS were able to offer during the peak summer months up to 3 flights per day on this route vs our single trip. Yes in many cases we could charge a premium vs TS but the bulk of the market was fine with 16" 9 abreast seats A330 Y seats. We could have shrunk, pulled out or adapted. We chose to adapt and that is how we ended up with our 777HD. Our Y and PY are still superior to TS and our J is the only consistent lie-flat option on the route. With this change our volume went up 30pct profit drastically improved and we are now able to invest in the route and are adding a second frequency next summer. Even if I wanted to offer a more expensive product unfortunately the marketplace is not willing to pay for it. This is our reality.
Not sure if you are still around, but here are my thoughts from one who has already started booking other airlines. If this is you business case, then you also need to differentiate between the premium J product internationally vs. domestically. I generally pay J when I need the lie flat bed. I really don't care about many of the other perks; sure a nice meal and espresso is good, but it's NOT why I buy the fare, only so i can wake up and be useful. I would never be able to pay for domestic J, but appreciate the upgrades so I have more room to work. Frankly the product for a 2-5 hour flight is not priced appropriately, but that's jmho. Other than a meal and a ife system, your domestic J is not head and shoulders above DL or AA (OK, maybe it is for US ), and again the perk isn't a meal, it's more room to work. Why would I stay with AC when I can get UDU from AA or DL (and make no mistake, we do very well out of YYZ), and lower cost paid J. I never really even complained about the J on the HD, I slept fine there. I'm sure the new product is great, but right now it is limited, and not enough to keep my business. You guys have worked very hard to keep my business (and successfully) in the past, so this move was very shocking. Just my two cents.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 6:31 am

Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
exactly. i really am surprised as to people's reaction about this. and it does not allow AC to edit the content, save and except for posters offside the terms, which makes it beneficial to us really. kind of like complaining on twitter versus facebook.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 7:28 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by LockheedElectra
Not sure if you are still around, but here are my thoughts from one who has already started booking other airlines. If this is you business case, then you also need to differentiate between the premium J product internationally vs. domestically. I generally pay J when I need the lie flat bed. I really don't care about many of the other perks; sure a nice meal and espresso is good, but it's NOT why I buy the fare, only so i can wake up and be useful. I would never be able to pay for domestic J, but appreciate the upgrades so I have more room to work. Frankly the product for a 2-5 hour flight is not priced appropriately, but that's jmho. Other than a meal and a ife system, your domestic J is not head and shoulders above DL or AA (OK, maybe it is for US ), and again the perk isn't a meal, it's more room to work. Why would I stay with AC when I can get UDU from AA or DL (and make no mistake, we do very well out of YYZ), and lower cost paid J. I never really even complained about the J on the HD, I slept fine there. I'm sure the new product is great, but right now it is limited, and not enough to keep my business. You guys have worked very hard to keep my business (and successfully) in the past, so this move was very shocking. Just my two cents.
Awesome. Post.

I really hope Ben S reads it -- great summary of why the reaction to these changes has been as volatile as we've seen.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ffsim
Awesome. Post.
+1
It's not like we're talking CX and YVR-JFK service where I would spend a lot more real money. The domestic differences between AC and US airlines are not significant enough to warrant the ridiculous price differentials for J/F. And with AC, you don't even get Wifi most of the time. Plus you cancelled the YUL-DEN nonstop so I'm still ticked off.

All airlines get cocky when loads and demand are high. Wait until the next downturn and see how fast the suits in Montreal wonder what hit them.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 10:27 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SFO777
+1
It's not like we're talking CX and YVR-JFK service where I would spend a lot more real money. The domestic differences between AC and US airlines are not significant enough to warrant the ridiculous price differentials for J/F. And with AC, you don't even get Wifi most of the time. Plus you cancelled the YUL-DEN nonstop so I'm still ticked off.

All airlines get cocky when loads and demand are high. Wait until the next downturn and see how fast the suits in Montreal wonder what hit them.
Yup and during recession $950 fares to BKK With free companion fare. Both upgradable!!!! Cry me a river when hard times hit again, AC
Old Oct 28, 2014, 12:02 pm
Formerly known as jsfrSuperElite

Programs: Air Canada SE100K-1MM, Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by DaveObee
The extreme upset about one word -- a word used accurately, honestly, and fairly -- is way over the top. This is the kind of piling-on response that serves no purpose other than to drive the company reps away. We should worry about the changes that are coming, not the way one word was used, and we certainly shouldn't try to stretch it to mean something else entirely. He was making a valid point, one that we should all be able to understand.

Honestly, this thread cheapens the discussion about the 2015 changes. (And yes, I expect that comment to be taken out of context as well.)
And please don't forget that Air Canada is not a charity, in case you missed this.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by jsfrSE
And please don't forget that Air Canada is not a charity, in case you missed this.
and of course, AC has never taken any charitable handouts from our federal government ever.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 1:38 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by Sebring
I don't think many companies - regardless of the industry - would reveal their long-term revenue strategy to you.
The Mafia. They are not a publicly traded company (industry).

Last edited by Lllahim; Oct 28, 2014 at 3:50 pm
Old Oct 28, 2014, 2:23 pm

It's hilarious that AC is totally fine taking federal taxpayer handouts but if SEs ask for the ability to upgrade, we're asking for too much

The word "charity" is hopefully out of Lipsey's vocabulary by now

Man works for a company that was revived due to taxpayer charity

Last edited by Braindrain; Oct 28, 2014 at 10:26 pm Reason: Edited out personal attack

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.