Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC says Elites "cheapen" their business class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC says Elites "cheapen" their business class

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2014, 4:29 am
Suspended

Programs: AC Elite 50K, Amex AP Plat, Choice Privileges, National Exec Elite, Via Prefrence
Originally Posted by industry_killer
As a former AC employee I can confirm you have no idea what the costs are or in general what you are talking about. In fact the only thing that is correct in that entire statement is the no YQ.
Emphasis on the former vs. current events.

Interesting FT handle btw.

Originally Posted by ffsim
Except when said devaluation is justified in large part by having to curtail the number of people sitting in J who did not say J prices for their seat... I certainly can't say it has "no bearing" on the discussion.
Bingo ^

Last edited by tcook052; Oct 27, 2014 at 5:49 am
Old Oct 27, 2014, 4:42 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Deleted

Last edited by ffsim; Oct 27, 2014 at 6:01 am Reason: No longer needed due to correction of quote
Old Oct 27, 2014, 4:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Amazing so many people on this board harp about AC employees sitting in J using a company perk, such as a B1. It is almost like no one here has any such perks at their given place of employment. Bringing AC employee travel benefits into this discussion has no bearing on the devaluation of the FFP.
Disagree. The biggest contributor to any "cheapening" of any airline's premium class is filling it with employees.

If AC wants to sell J seats, lower the price differential between and Y and J. Duh.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 5:57 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SFO777
Disagree. The biggest contributor to any "cheapening" of any airline's premium class is filling it with employees.

If AC wants to sell J seats, lower the price differential between and Y and J. Duh.
They have. If I fly one time in my life I can buy Tango to NRT for sometimes under $1000 and pay an LMU at around $900, for a total of about $2800.

However, if I fly that routing every month making judicious use of my eUps, I can buy a flex fare for just slightly less than the $3000 and be called a charity case.

Go figure.

My head is still spinning about this.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 6:02 am

I wonder if many SE's have woken up to the idea that "they have no cloths"
Old Oct 27, 2014, 6:06 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by purelywasted
I woke up with dirty clothes from my YOW FRA pod. Maybe being the last flight of the season they skipped the last refresh cycle.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 6:11 am

Originally Posted by Ben Lipsey

What I said was that paying for Y and regularly getting J is not a sustainable business practice. Period.

How about when the J cabin costs less than Y cabin?

Maybe AC needs to stop continuously selling the Y cabin below cost, then trying to make up the difference with the front cabin.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 6:24 am
Formerly known as jsfrSuperElite

Programs: Air Canada SE100K-1MM, Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by yqtyyz
As someone pointed upthread, how many posts in the SQ, TG, CX sections ask about upgrades and the replies are posted by fellow FTers in such a manner? Softer words probably could have been used, but hey, FTers have been less than civil as well.

I've sent PMs to Ben L. and he's been nothing but kind, and has told me as much as he's allowed to.

So to both Bens, please continue to post here on FT. I may or may not be able to maintain SE status, but the engagement has certainly been informative and welcomed.
You must be one of the lucky ones, I've sent as well a PM to Ben L a few days ago and I an still waiting for an answer...
Old Oct 27, 2014, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by purelywasted
naaaaah some are still coming to terms with the fact that what they thought was important, extraoridnary $xx,000 in "spend" will be missed, and not quickly made up by a ~1000 bag fees in 10 minutes of operations.

Same ones that cheered on the cuts to all other levels over last couple years.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 6:59 am

Programs: AC E, SPG Plat, FPC Plat
Originally Posted by Ben Smith
Your comments and tone are not constructive to a discussion with AC. If you don't want us to participate on here then just say so. All of us at AC will stop replying or discussing anything with you personally on a public forum effective now. A few months ago Ben Lipsey (who we met off this site before he joined AC) personally convinced me to have AC officially rejoin the conversation on FT in the open transparent manner that you have seen take place over the last few months. We choose to post under our real names and therefore the conversation can be challenging at times. We fully expect to hear both positive and negative posts about how we run our business and the reason we participate here is to share some of our thinking and hear opinions from our customers on what improvements and/or changes they would like to see. We have listened to many of the various suggestions from this board and over the past few months when appropriate have instituted several ideas that came directly from FT members.
Air Canada has consistently produced a lower profit margin than our NA peers. Although over the last few years we have made big strides in improving our bottom line even in 2013 WS AA DL all outperformed us from an EBITDAR perspective. Our current model which includes many things needs to better adapt to our marketplace in order for us to improve our financial position and reach higher overall margins. We are a service business and in order to strive and succeed we need to significantly improve in many customer facing areas of our business. When it came time to decide on what type of product to put on our new 787s as well as our new fleet of 737MAX aircraft we needed to choose how best to position ourselves to improve our service while also expanding our margins. Having best-in-class J seats and lower than average premium revenues (which is what we currently have on many routes) is not a sustainable strategy. We don't expect all of our J customers to be paying full J fares all the time but we do need the average fare to improve to justify the investments we are making. We have experimented with lower quality J products and you will now see us move toward a more uniform product across our fleet. We did not expect to get this changeover 100pct correct and are open to tweaks where they make sense. We are more than happy to take comments and views from our customers but I'm not prepared to have you bully one of our most dedicated employees on a public site. If you have an issue with Ben L personally please PM me directly.
Mr Smith;

What you are seeing is emotional reaction to a poorly thought out implementation of changes to your loyalty program. The logic for the changes might be sound but the execution nothing sort of a public relations disaster. Customers put in mileage on AC with a reasonable expectation of a certain set of benefits only to be disappointed after crossing the finish line. The comments being posted reflect this disappointment and have little to do with Air Canada's participation in this forum or not. If you don't like the backlash, do something positive about it rather than prattle on about how lucky we are to have official AC representation on this forum. Your participation gives you the opportunity to present the company's point of view, do damage control and conduct a little market research for a lot less than an IPSOs-Reid survey. You want a well mannered conversation, start treating the other side of the loyalty game with a little respect at the end of the year.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 7:13 am

Programs: AC SE100K, National E/E, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond, MB, Avis PC
Amazing so many people on this board harp about AC employees sitting in J using a company perk, such as a B1. It is almost like no one here has any such perks at their given place of employment. Bringing AC employee travel benefits into this discussion has no bearing on the devaluation of the FFP.
Going off on a tangent; I wonder if AC employees pay tax on such perks. We have a comparable perk at our company (free beer allowance) and sure as hell the value of our beer allowance is added to our T4's each year.

And back to the topic: AC has consistently high load factors. I hear the phrase "We have a full flight" on most of flights I take. So what will happen now in oversell situations? Will AC stop overselling the Y cabin? Or will AC pay IDB compensations and planes will fly with empty J seats? Or Op-Up's don't cheapen the product, only E-Ups?

Last edited by WildcatYXU; Oct 27, 2014 at 7:23 am
Old Oct 27, 2014, 7:18 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Honors Diamond. Priority Club Platinum. Emerald Club Executive Elite
I have perks at my company. None of those perks are visible to, or part of, the customer experience.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 7:21 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by krugon
Mr Smith;

What you are seeing is emotional reaction to a poorly thought out implementation of changes to your loyalty program. The logic for the changes might be sound but the execution nothing sort of a public relations disaster. Customers put in mileage on AC with a reasonable expectation of a certain set of benefits only to be disappointed after crossing the finish line. The comments being posted reflect this disappointment and have little to do with Air Canada's participation in this forum or not. If you don't like the backlash, do something positive about it rather than prattle on about how lucky we are to have official AC representation on this forum. Your participation gives you the opportunity to present the company's point of view, do damage control and conduct a little market research for a lot less than an IPSOs-Reid survey. You want a well mannered conversation, start treating the other side of the loyalty game with a little respect at the end of the year.
Very well put ^

I'd hate to see AC minimize or end their participation on FT over this announcement and the ensuing backlash. Their presence on FT benefits the entire community, just as our presence does.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WildcatYXU
Going off on a tangent; I wonder if AC employees pay tax on such perks.
Yes they do.
The source: An AC employee.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 9:25 am

Programs: AC E50K (*Gold), DL, CZ
Oh, these PMs I was referring to were a week or two before the 2015 Altitude announcements. And they were about things of a general nature, anyway.

Originally Posted by jsfrSuperElite
You must be one of the lucky ones, I've sent as well a PM to Ben L a few days ago and I an still waiting for an answer...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.