Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC says Elites "cheapen" their business class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC says Elites "cheapen" their business class

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2014, 3:08 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Ben Smith
We don't expect all of our J customers to be paying full J fares all the time but we do need the average fare to improve to justify the investments we are making. We have experimented with lower quality J products and you will now see us move toward a more uniform product across our fleet. We did not expect to get this changeover 100pct correct and are open to tweaks where they make sense.
Is this an indication that the 77P will also be retrofitted with the new 787 cabins?
Old Oct 26, 2014, 3:08 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
Westjet seems to paint a very clear picture of what your spending means to them if you want to compare:

Seems like $10000 in spending would yield around $410 in cash value plus 1 Canadian trip and one international trip. But scam-charges don't count in the $10000, so maybe ~$12000 in 'real' money spent?

You have to get the CC for the other cool stuff though.

I wonder how that would compare to AC's FFP?
If you want to compare apples and apples you would have to strictly go by gift card values on the aeroan site. EUPs can't be monetized and don't found from a strict cash point of view. So i would say that $10,000 would get you into SE at the lowest point and translate into 200,000 AP miles. That would in turn translate to approximately $1400 in restaurant or store cards.

Incidentally 15 percent giveback is around the value I get from Marriott as well.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 3:12 pm

Programs: *$ Green
Originally Posted by Allvest
If you want to compare apples and apples you would have to strictly go by gift card values on the aeroan site. EUPs can't be monetized and don't found from a strict cash point of view. So i would say that $10,000 would get you into SE at the lowest point and translate into 200,000 AP miles. That would in turn translate to approximately $1400 in restaurant or store cards.

Incidentally 15 percent giveback is around the value I get from Marriott as well.
I'm not sure exactly what you mean sorry.

I'm just wondering what would be the best option for you in terms of cost:benefit.

Which program would you say is better for you? (unless you have no use for WJ due to flying patterns)
Old Oct 26, 2014, 3:18 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
I'm not sure exactly what you mean sorry.

I'm just wondering what would be the best option for you in terms of cost:benefit.

Which program would you say is better for you? (unless you have no use for WJ due to flying patterns)
Personally i won't fly Westjet.

I fly on upgrades, pay business class or book J on points.

Or I stay home or drive. so, Westhet doesn't give me anything I need because my flying is almost exclusively trans-ocean.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 3:22 pm

Programs: *G
In this case it is irrelevant because I merely highlight what people remember. "Cheapening the product" and "Charity". Emphasized with a "for the record". Amongst a few choice words which ought to be on the auto delete program of any social media rep. That then endorsed by the big chief Ben S. assures everyone that little Ben didn't just make a slip up but actually and truly represents the company's thinking.
I have no doubt that the words were used on FT because they were being used with great frequency internally at AC and had become part of their vernacular. All of the Altitude changes fall under the Ben S's corporate responsibilities but you can bet that Calin will start to ask some serious questions if the you know what starts to hit the fan or negative media comes into play.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 3:54 pm

Programs: AC E50K (*Gold), DL, CZ
As someone pointed upthread, how many posts in the SQ, TG, CX sections ask about upgrades and the replies are posted by fellow FTers in such a manner? Softer words probably could have been used, but hey, FTers have been less than civil as well.

I've sent PMs to Ben L. and he's been nothing but kind, and has told me as much as he's allowed to.

So to both Bens, please continue to post here on FT. I may or may not be able to maintain SE status, but the engagement has certainly been informative and welcomed.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 4:33 pm
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
AC is delusional if they think we are suckers.
Ben S
I don't want to second guess your business decisions.
Huh? Isn't this soap box thread all about questioning the so called delusional decision?

Cheapest Z is around $4500-5000 but with AC I don't get the codeshare connections in Business. That's a non starter. Because other airlines give me all J when booking discounted business
Just book the metal of the airline you want to fly with after the AC gateway.. just because TG doesn't work with AC on fares to BKK in business class doesn't mean there aren't other solutions. Including fares now out of YVR for 4k tax included, one free stopover
Old Oct 26, 2014, 4:50 pm

Programs: AC*SE100K; Marriott Titanium; NEXUS
I can't believe this thread is still going. Wow.

Starting to think it would be good of FT adopted something akin to TSX/Dow trading halt when things start to melt down so that some people can cool off on the emotions and start fresh later.

Last edited by YQMer; Oct 26, 2014 at 5:07 pm
Old Oct 26, 2014, 4:54 pm

I'm not offended by Ben's post.

I think there's people here who see what they want to see no matter how it's written.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 5:08 pm

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
Starting to snow in central Alberta
Old Oct 26, 2014, 5:54 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA*1K, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by imverge
I'm not offended by Ben's post.

I think there's people here who see what they want to see no matter how it's written.
+1, I stated it in the other thread, and since there's a new one I might as well repost it here.

I would rather have the honest, direct, and brutal statements from the AC team than proper "marketing-speak" about enhancements, spins on statements, etc.

I see their point, grudgingly, even if I disagree with it.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 5:57 pm

+1 here as well.

I enjoy reading Ben Smith's posts. They can be blunt, no doubt, but no BS-ing and gets to the point.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 5:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by yqtyyz
+1 here as well.

I enjoy reading Ben Smith's posts. They can be blunt, no doubt, but no BS-ing and gets to the point.
+1. I love his posts and I have a huge respect for Ben S being on here (read his executive profile, even if there is a spelling error - it'll surprise you). Of course a ton of respect for Ben L, Andrew, YYZ SD and others who I won't say are FT'ers who work for AC.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 6:09 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA*1K, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
+1. I love his posts and I have a huge respect for Ben S being on here (read his executive profile, even if there is a spelling error - it'll surprise you). Of course a ton of respect for Ben L, Andrew, YYZ SD and others who I won't say are FT'ers who work for AC.
Hehe... mace. Nice catch
Old Oct 26, 2014, 6:11 pm

Some would say that AC has taken a "mace" to the FF program.

http://www.aircanada.com/en/about/media/bio/smithb.html

I'm not 100% happy about the cutbacks, but I don't blame any FF for thinking/feeling one way or the other. After all, it's their B___ in the seat. Feel what you want, but don't slag someone else for feeling differently.

Heck, it's hard enough agreeing upon favourite airlines/FFP in my household. One parent loves EVA/UA, another flies Cathay Pacific exclusively, while my sister and I fly swear by AC/UA.

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.