Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC in "crack down" on carry-on bags

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC in "crack down" on carry-on bags

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2014, 12:33 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
Frankly once AC announced that it was charging for luggage they had to do this. Otherwise carry-on was going to get out of hand really really quickly.

I understand what many are saying upthread about the size needs to fit but they could increase the weight limit. Based on the max permitted weight per *most* overhead bins AC could afford to increase the allowed weight a bit.

I don't expect them to exceed safety limits of course! They need to keep it in check with what the bins are rated for. But there is room for an increase.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 12:34 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by BlueMilk
Time to remeasure your luggage. Excepting the port side of the J cabin, conforming carry-on luggage does fit the CRJ fleet. In fact, it fits easily.
Time to reintroduce yourself to the fleet. On most of the CRJs, legal luggage does not fit and must be sky-checked.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 12:36 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Sean Peever
I understand what many are saying upthread about the size needs to fit but they could increase the weight limit. Based on the max permitted weight per *most* overhead bins AC could afford to increase the allowed weight a bit.
Absolutely -- the 10kg weight limit is a joke. Not as funny as the more common 8kg limit in Europe, but still a joke...
Old Sep 30, 2014, 12:41 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
This is interesting, WestJet has removed its 10kg weight restriction for its carry-on luggage:
http://www.westjet.com/guest/en/trav...carry-on.shtml

Given that both WestJet and United don't have strict weight limits, AC needs to do the same, or at least up theirs to something reasonable.

If they're going to enforce carry-ons, having each pax put them in the sizer and also weigh them is simply too time consuming.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 12:44 pm

Programs: AC 35K, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ffsim
Time to reintroduce yourself to the fleet. On most of the CRJs, legal luggage does not fit and must be sky-checked.
Sounds like you two are confusing the CRJ-200 with 700s (CRA).
Old Sep 30, 2014, 12:45 pm

Programs: AC S100K
My bad. I've just never had a problem.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 12:47 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE
Obviously, that's completely unacceptable. I hope your friend continued through security with his bags.
Nope - he was forced to check in his roller.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 12:50 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Now that they are charging for first bag this carryon bag enforceement is likely to stop people from bring everything on as carryon which I can totally see making the boarding even more crazy. I think they should offer a discount to families (2 or more on a PNR) for checked bag. Last thing we want is a family of 4 (incl young kids) boarding with 4 roller boards and 4 personal items.

Last edited by vernonc; Sep 30, 2014 at 12:51 pm Reason: adding
Old Sep 30, 2014, 12:54 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Jebby_ca
A buddy of mine was called out twice this weekend, once during boarding on his way to YYZ and the other time departing YYZ at transborder security.

His roller bag meets AC's size limits, wheels and handles included. The AC agent wouldn't let him put his bags into the sizer to determine if they were actually within the carry-on limits. The agent at the YYZ trans-border security line was only eye-balling it.
Originally Posted by Jebby_ca
Nope - he was forced to check in his roller.
Did he have status? Did he have to pay to check-in? I would not be happy with this.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 1:01 pm

Programs: AP SE
Originally Posted by BlueMilk
Time to remeasure your luggage. Excepting the port side of the J cabin, conforming carry-on luggage does fit the CRJ fleet. In fact, it fits easily.

Whether or not one owns a conforming carry-on (and can pack it under the weight limit) probably determines opinions on this policy.

For those worried about it, think of it as an opportunity to buy new luggage. Lot's of good advice on this elsewhere on FT.
Its a Tumi international carry on which is 22x15.5x9

By Air Canada rules it is .5 inch two long (21.5 versus 22), but that isn't the dimension that is the problem on a CRJ
Old Sep 30, 2014, 1:04 pm

Programs: AP SE
Problem is that on some flights, sky check isn't offered (YYZ-EWR, for example)
Old Sep 30, 2014, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by Slalom01
Problem is that on some flights, sky check isn't offered (YYZ-EWR, for example)
Isn't that because YYZ-EWR is entirely CRA, E75 and E90s?
Old Sep 30, 2014, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by yvr76
This is interesting, WestJet has removed its 10kg weight restriction for its carry-on luggage:
http://www.westjet.com/guest/en/trav...carry-on.shtml
Nice catch ^

Originally Posted by gregster
Sounds like you two are confusing the CRJ-200 with 700s (CRA).
No, I'm aware of the difference between the two. Despite AC using the "CRJ" designation for their CRJ-200 jets and "CRA" for their CRJ-705 jets, you'll notice their both CRJs

Originally Posted by winnipegrev
Isn't that because YYZ-EWR is entirely CRA, E75 and E90s?
Precisely.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 1:17 pm

Programs: FT
Absolutely -- the 10kg weight limit is a joke. Not as funny as the more common 8kg limit in Europe, but still a joke...
22 pounds is not a joke. it is very reasonable to me. just pack less if you want carry on only and do laundry at your location if you have less stuff.

or check a bag and pay.

what a bunch of whiners. at least we know who has been abusing the rules.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 1:21 pm

Programs: AC S100K
Let me get this right...

On certain routes, AC flies aircraft variants that don't fit conforming carry-on luggage while not offering sky-check?

If so, that's a very real problem (irrespective of any new enforcement).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.