Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC in "crack down" on carry-on bags

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2014, 8:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
You just know someone is going to go ballistic and it will end up on YouTube. Or worse. This could have been handled so much better.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 8:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Jebby_ca
@yvr76 - no status. At YYZ, he was forced to pay as it was after US Pre-clearance, but before the security screening where you drop off your bags.

At SFO, no charge as he was already at the gate.

He's pissed, and will be filing a complaint.
Was the bag larger than regulation? It's annoying, but if it was too big, what's the basis for the complaint?

Originally Posted by InTheAirGuy
Luggage nazis out in full force at SFO.

This is gonna be bad, folks. Bad.

Just expect gate congestion, anger, SNAFU, brutal.

Gotta love an airline that loves it customers!
Originally Posted by yvr76
They've been enforcing carry-ons for a while at SFO, although they're usually pretty reasonable. Each time I've been in J, they haven't forced me to put my back in the sizer (it is legal, but it's frustrating to do this during the boarding process).
Originally Posted by 24left
Back in June leaving SFO, one AC GA pulled people out of the boarding line and made them stuff their bags and purses (?) in the sizer, then forced people to gate check. It seemed her focus was on older kettles. So, to see what happens tomorrow on my YYZ-SFO, I've taking the back-pack instead of the roller - and a jacket with lots of pockets
I've seen them enforce it at SFO, but they always walk right past me. And I have my SE tag on my bag.

I think the difference is they assume I know my bag fits in the bin, because I fly so much, so it's less relevant whether it fits in the sizer (I'm pretty sure it would except for the following incident).

One time at YYZ, a GA told me I needed to put my bag in the sizer. I had just spent two weeks in Europe, and it was bulging a bit. I assured her it would fit (because it had on the way up, and there wasn't really anything more in it). She didn't care. It didn't fit. She said she could check it, but not to worry - she wouldn't charge me. That's when I realized she hadn't seen the tag. After looking at my boarding pass (SE in J), it was "have a nice day".

I would not worry about this if you have status.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by theseatbelt
1. Asian guy's black bag - is a standard bag - it would have fit fine in the overhead compartment. It should have been allowed IMO. The AC measuring device is flawed.
I can also fit a hockey bag in 320 bins, does that mean I should be able to bring that? It isn't about what the maximum size the aircraft can accept, it's about bringing along what you are entitled as to allow other passengers reasonable access to space. His bag in the video looks to be about 4" overstuffed (and taller than allowed too) so where the bags sit sideways onboard, that means a lot fewer bags fitting.

I see FAs needing to 'jam' E90 bins closed all the time, that has got to cost money with mechanisms breaking over time. I was on a UA ERJ where the bin broke and the door fell off while a man tried to close it on his overstuffed bag. 30 min delay to replace it.

I see no problem with the airline sticking to carry on limits - when AC says 9*15.5*21.5 (wheels and handles included), that doesn't mean a few extra inches here and there for those who feel like taking more than their fair share.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 9:18 pm

Programs: AC *E, SPG Plat, Hertz

How do the air canada dozers compare to the united ones? My carryon fits fine in the united sizer, with an inch to spare but I know united actually has some leeway with their sizer
Old Sep 30, 2014, 9:18 pm

Programs: AC *E, SPG Plat, Hertz

Dozers = sizers btw
Old Sep 30, 2014, 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Agreed. Non status Tangoers should pay. When one travels every week, some flexibility should be afforded. Not saying one should break the rules, but the rules should be rewritten around FF's. No amount of eups will take me away from being over 10kg. I hope AC rewrites it's weight policy (size I understand) to be "aligned with Westjet", otherwise I may take my business elsewhere as 30 minutes a flight waiting for a bag (if that) is stupid.
From what I've seen, its the business people and the frequent flyers that are the worst offenders when it comes to oversized carry-ons. And because these people provide a large amount of revenue to AC, there's been the tendency to look the other way. Even though these individuals, by virtue of fare classes, or status, have quite significant checked bag allowances and often priority handling at that.

Personally I believe the problem would have been better solved by raising fares $25 across the board, including the first checked bag for free, and then giving the same-day travellers a $25-$50 reduction in their fare simply for being a same-day traveller without luggage to check.

I don't buy the excuse that waiting half an hour for baggage to be spat out at the YYZ carousel is enough of a deterrent. Jet aircraft literally make days of travel by other methods turn into mere hours. What's another half an hour? If one is really that important that they can't wait 15-30 minutes at the baggage carousel, then they probably need to look into using a private chartered aircraft service.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 9:33 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by canadiancow
One time at YYZ, a GA told me I needed to put my bag in the sizer. I had just spent two weeks in Europe, and it was bulging a bit. I assured her it would fit (because it had on the way up, and there wasn't really anything more in it). She didn't care. It didn't fit. She said she could check it, but not to worry - she wouldn't charge me. That's when I realized she hadn't seen the tag. After looking at my boarding pass (SE in J), it was "have a nice day".

I would not worry about this if you have status.
I'm sorry, but I can't agree with this. It's these kinds of stories that give the impression that frequent flyers are overly-entitled babies.

If AC wants to reward its frequent flyers with extra/larger/heavier cabin allowance, then it should be a published benefit just like checked baggage allowance. In no way should it be at the whim of an agent who may or may not notice a luggage tag that's hanging off a bag...
Old Sep 30, 2014, 9:52 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
This means absolutely nothing to me because the FA's inside the plane careless.

I was on an AC Canadair flight and the FA's just stood at the back watching passengers load oversized luggages the whole time. Not only was the flight less than half full, but we were still late because of a few PAX who decided to bring in bags that don't fit RJ's cabin capacity.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pitz
From what I've seen, its the business people and the frequent flyers that are the worst offenders when it comes to oversized carry-ons. And because these people provide a large amount of revenue to AC, there's been the tendency to look the other way. Even though these individuals, by virtue of fare classes, or status, have quite significant checked bag allowances and often priority handling at that.
In other words, for AC to insist in these people checking their luggage would be pointless since that would not raise additional revenue.

So better let them bring their luggage on board, even if marginally over the limit. Actually cuts on the costs associated with checked luggage.

Furthermore, these folks qualify for priority boarding so their luggage will find room in the bins. Proper limit for them would be that their junk has to fit in the bin.

However real luggage pigs usually are not the FF type but occasional flyers who have to bring their entire wardrobe so that the overweight donna can show it off to the cousins back home.

Unfortunately, especially if the flight is full, at the gate (or on board if there is no room left), they get offered for their luggage to be checked for free. Which arguably is counterproductive. If at the gate their luggage is found to be oversized, they should be asked to pay and check in.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 10:27 pm

Programs: AC SE MM
charge for carry on

Why not go the route like Allegiant Air does and charge for any carry on that goes in the overhead. Anything small enough to fit under YOUR seat is free. You should see how empty the overhead bins are at take off on the flights that I've done with them. Boarding is lightning fast as well. Perhaps with the Altitude status system, *G or similar can have a 1 free carry on or something similar or allow our checked baggage limit to transfer over in cabin as most FF's don't ever use their baggage allowance anyways.They could up the check in limit from 3 bags at 70lbs to 10 bags at 150 Lbs and most would still never check a bag. Wish I could donate my bag allowance to people that need it so it could clear up in cabin baggage. As for enforcement, I hope they use some common sense. I understand rules are rules but there should be some exceptions. For example, I carry a regulation carry on and it fits in the sizer, I do carry a fair amount of expensive, fragile photography equipment in it so if I were to bet, it would probably be over the 22 lbs (glass weighs) Checking in is not an option as I already had a bag go missing this year from YVR-LAX and airlines compensation does not even come close to the value of the contents.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by pitz
I don't buy the excuse that waiting half an hour for baggage to be spat out at the YYZ carousel is enough of a deterrent. Jet aircraft literally make days of travel by other methods turn into mere hours. What's another half an hour? If one is really that important that they can't wait 15-30 minutes at the baggage carousel, then they probably need to look into using a private chartered aircraft service.
Speaking strictly for myself (you most assuredly do *not* know who I am), It's not that I think I'm that important, but:
  • It's easily 1 hour per direction -- no need to stand in line to check in, and I can cut it closer to departure time since I don't need to worry about missing luggage check-in cut-off times. Add that to the arrival-time savings...
  • That's 2 hours (round trip) that I would otherwise be away from my family. I only *wish* it was on-the-clock time.
  • Gives me much more flexibility to do standby (see: less time away from family)
  • Vastly better chance of surviving IRROPS by rerouting *quickly*. "No checked baggage? No problem sir, I'll get you on that plane that's closing in 3 minutes."

Multiply that when traveling every second week, and wow it adds up...

(And again, speaking for myself, I even adjust my carry-on selection depending on the the stupid planes on my itinerary that have too-small bins yet don't have skycheck; I'm looking at you, CRJ-705.)
Old Oct 1, 2014, 12:06 am

Programs: SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Chowtime
Why not go the route like Allegiant Air does and charge for any carry on that goes in the overhead. Anything small enough to fit under YOUR seat is free. You should see how empty the overhead bins are at take off on the flights that I've done with them. Boarding is lightning fast as well.
I've seen that as well on some of the European low cost carriers like Wizz air. Boarding was super fast, and they made their standard checked luggage size to be up to 70lbs (which made even more of an incentive to check baggage instead of carrying it on). As the airports they fly to mostly used buses to deliver people to the plane they also allowed people to board and deplane from both the front and rear exits of the plane, which also speeded up the boarding process. After take off if there was still overhead bin space available people were putting their free carryons in the overhead bins.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 12:07 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
Thank you AC. I can comply. Now fulfill your end of the deal, and that is to deliver checked baggage in a timely manner.
Arriving from Asia with EVA my bag has always been on the carousel by the time I clear customs at YYZ . If I am on an AC flight, my minimum wait time is usually 30-60 minutes depending upon the season, and that's if my bag arrives. All of my missed baggage in the past 3 years has been with AC. I do understand why people will resist this new policy. If AC had reliable baggage delivery, I would have no sympathy.
Really, 30 to 60 min wait time and if your bag arrives??? Arrived on AC 881 on Sept. 29. No wait at customs, bags arrived within 5 min. Lost bags. Last 25 years, some 3000+ flights, 3x bagged did not arrive. 2x major snow storms in yyz and yvr.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 12:19 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Was the bag larger than regulation? It's annoying, but if it was too big, what's the basis for the complaint?
The problem is the bag is not larger than regulation. He wasn't even given a chance to put his bag into the sizer. The agent forced him to check it and to pay the checked bag fee, without ever measuring it.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Rather ironic when one of the major design elements of the new generation narrow body jets and the 787 (and its next gen 777s and A350s) is larger overhead bins that can accommodate more weight and bulky items.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.