AC in "crack down" on carry-on bags

Old Sep 30, 14, 8:26 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Programs: Aeroplan: More points for a reward seat than any other airline
Posts: 1,986
AC in "crack down" on carry-on bags

As reported in the Globe today:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...ticle20853758/

I wonder if it also applies to the flight crew
Tractor Boy is offline  
Old Sep 30, 14, 8:34 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Programs: AC SE100K, AA EXP, SPG Plt, HH Dmnd
Posts: 1,477
Awesome. This should make life much better for those of us who actually follow rules and don't bring toasters on board.
Bonaventure is offline  
Old Sep 30, 14, 8:36 am
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Canada
Programs: UA*1K, BA Silver, Accor Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold
Posts: 20,902
Originally Posted by Tractor Boy View Post
I wonder if it also applies to the flight crew
I wonder if it also apples to elites who are the worst offenders with carryons
rankourabu is offline  
Old Sep 30, 14, 8:39 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Ottawa, ON
Programs: AC*SE100K, AC*MM, Marriott Platinum Elite
Posts: 280
Would be nice if AC and YYZ improved baggage delivery wait times first, then cracked down on carry-ons. Baggage fees aren't the only way to boost revenue; happier customers arriving / connecting through YYZ might mean more business too.
sweden05 is offline  
Old Sep 30, 14, 8:42 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Toronto
Programs: AC 50K, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Fairmont Platinum
Posts: 2,050
Originally Posted by sweden05 View Post
Would be nice if AC and YYZ improved baggage delivery wait times first, then cracked down on carry-ons. Baggage fees aren't the only way to boost revenue; happier customers arriving / connecting through YYZ might mean more business too.
+1 ugh.
mikeyyz is offline  
Old Sep 30, 14, 8:46 am
  #6  
B1
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 3,664
Hmm - a nice scare tactic. When the fee goes into effect there will be a person at a cash register and a luggage belt next to the device,
B1 is offline  
Old Sep 30, 14, 9:08 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: YYC
Programs: AC*SE100K
Posts: 243
I still think the easiest way to do this is say "no wheels allowed" in the airplane. That'd remove 95% of the offending carry-on (the other 5% being huge backpacks) and would leave me and my duffle bag unscathed.

If you can't carry it on, then you shouldn't carry-on.
YYCYYZ is offline  
Old Sep 30, 14, 9:20 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: YUL
Programs: AC*E50 (*A Gold), Accor Platinum, Bonvoy Gold Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum, NEXUS, Global Entry
Posts: 5,394
Originally Posted by YYCYYZ View Post
I still think the easiest way to do this is say "no wheels allowed" in the airplane. That'd remove 95% of the offending carry-on (the other 5% being huge backpacks) and would leave me and my duffle bag unscathed.

If you can't carry it on, then you shouldn't carry-on.
While I applaud AC for taking these steps to ensure cabin luggage is of acceptable size, I would hate to see your idea implemented. There are published maximum dimensions and weights for permitted cabin luggage; why should the presence of wheels have anything to do with the acceptability of carry-ons?
ffsim is offline  
Old Sep 30, 14, 9:21 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: YVR
Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Posts: 8,090
This is music to my ears. I've been complaining for years about this.
Braindrain is offline  
Old Sep 30, 14, 9:26 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Toronto, Canada
Programs: Aeroplan, SPG, Alaska, Avios
Posts: 1,225
Finally! I've seen some monster carry-on's that don't fit into the overhead bins.
mikeycanuk is offline  
Old Sep 30, 14, 9:29 am
  #11  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DCA
Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Posts: 44,455
Focus on dimensions. I don't care if you want to bring a toaster or a change of clothes and I don't care if the container has wheels. All I care is that there are dimensions and that the item meets the dimensions.

Enforce it uniformly so that we stay away from the, "but I've carried this on 9 times in the past 2 weeks" crowd and even a so-called elite can learn.

Most people who can afford an air ticket can afford a measuring tape. Now, they can learn how to use it.
Often1 is offline  
Old Sep 30, 14, 9:32 am
  #12  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Posts: 16,779
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
Focus on dimensions. I don't care if you want to bring a toaster or a change of clothes and I don't care if the container has wheels. All I care is that there are dimensions and that the item meets the dimensions.

Enforce it uniformly so that we stay away from the, "but I've carried this on 9 times in the past 2 weeks" crowd and even a so-called elite can learn.

Most people who can afford an air ticket can afford a measuring tape. Now, they can learn how to use it.
+1
24left is offline  
Old Sep 30, 14, 9:37 am
  #13  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Posts: 16,779
Originally Posted by YYCYYZ View Post
I still think the easiest way to do this is say "no wheels allowed" in the airplane. That'd remove 95% of the offending carry-on (the other 5% being huge backpacks) and would leave me and my duffle bag unscathed.

If you can't carry it on, then you shouldn't carry-on.

I notice that for my recent DL flights YYZ-ATL, mostly RJs, have an interesting process at the gate. Whether you have Super Diamond Platinum MM on your tag or not, if it has wheels, the GAs come around with pink/orange tags for gate checking. Everyone followed instructions, not a single complaint, we all boarded and left ahead of schedule.
24left is offline  
Old Sep 30, 14, 9:38 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: YYZ
Programs: AC*S100k
Posts: 26
Being the Devils Advocate here....as I always have a carry-on...what about if checked baggage was free and carry on items required a charge?

Boarding would be a much quicker process ;-)
MaritimeTraveller is offline  
Old Sep 30, 14, 9:40 am
  #15  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Posts: 16,779
Originally Posted by mikeycanuk View Post
Finally! I've seen some monster carry-on's that don't fit into the overhead bins.

I've watched pax (especially the seniors) struggle to lift their rolling carry-ons into the bins.
The AC FAs I spoke with told me they are not allowed to lift these things for passengers due to potential for injury (eg. back)
Other passengers usually step in to help.

On some DL flights ex-ATL, I saw pax bring on massive bags that don't even get down the aisle and are the sizes one should check.
When I asked the FAs about those, the answer was: "If they can lift it and get it in the bins, then we don't care"

Perhaps if the airlines had developed a proper carry-on system that works everywhere and is consistent and THEN instituted checked bag - and also carry-on fees, there wouldn't be these endless problems with bags. Who really knows though, humans are unpredictable. Here comes the baggage police....
24left is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: