Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC in "crack down" on carry-on bags

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2014, 7:26 am
Original Poster

As reported in the Globe today:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...ticle20853758/

I wonder if it also applies to the flight crew
Old Sep 30, 2014, 7:34 am

Programs: AC SE100K, AA EXP, SPG Plt, HH Dmnd
Awesome. This should make life much better for those of us who actually follow rules and don't bring toasters on board.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by Tractor Boy
I wonder if it also applies to the flight crew
I wonder if it also apples to elites who are the worst offenders with carryons
Old Sep 30, 2014, 7:39 am

Programs: AC*SE100K, AC*MM, Marriott Platinum Elite
Would be nice if AC and YYZ improved baggage delivery wait times first, then cracked down on carry-ons. Baggage fees aren't the only way to boost revenue; happier customers arriving / connecting through YYZ might mean more business too.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 7:42 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by sweden05
Would be nice if AC and YYZ improved baggage delivery wait times first, then cracked down on carry-ons. Baggage fees aren't the only way to boost revenue; happier customers arriving / connecting through YYZ might mean more business too.
+1 ugh.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 7:46 am
B1

Hmm - a nice scare tactic. When the fee goes into effect there will be a person at a cash register and a luggage belt next to the device,
Old Sep 30, 2014, 8:08 am

Programs: AC*SE100K
I still think the easiest way to do this is say "no wheels allowed" in the airplane. That'd remove 95% of the offending carry-on (the other 5% being huge backpacks) and would leave me and my duffle bag unscathed.

If you can't carry it on, then you shouldn't carry-on.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 8:20 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by YYCYYZ
I still think the easiest way to do this is say "no wheels allowed" in the airplane. That'd remove 95% of the offending carry-on (the other 5% being huge backpacks) and would leave me and my duffle bag unscathed.

While I applaud AC for taking these steps to ensure cabin luggage is of acceptable size, I would hate to see your idea implemented. There are published maximum dimensions and weights for permitted cabin luggage; why should the presence of wheels have anything to do with the acceptability of carry-ons?
Old Sep 30, 2014, 8:21 am

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
This is music to my ears. I've been complaining for years about this.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 8:26 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Bonvoy, Alaska, Avios
Finally! I've seen some monster carry-on's that don't fit into the overhead bins.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 8:29 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Focus on dimensions. I don't care if you want to bring a toaster or a change of clothes and I don't care if the container has wheels. All I care is that there are dimensions and that the item meets the dimensions.

Enforce it uniformly so that we stay away from the, "but I've carried this on 9 times in the past 2 weeks" crowd and even a so-called elite can learn.

Most people who can afford an air ticket can afford a measuring tape. Now, they can learn how to use it.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 8:32 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by Often1
Focus on dimensions. I don't care if you want to bring a toaster or a change of clothes and I don't care if the container has wheels. All I care is that there are dimensions and that the item meets the dimensions.

Enforce it uniformly so that we stay away from the, "but I've carried this on 9 times in the past 2 weeks" crowd and even a so-called elite can learn.

Most people who can afford an air ticket can afford a measuring tape. Now, they can learn how to use it.
+1^^^
Old Sep 30, 2014, 8:37 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by YYCYYZ

I notice that for my recent DL flights YYZ-ATL, mostly RJs, have an interesting process at the gate. Whether you have Super Diamond Platinum MM on your tag or not, if it has wheels, the GAs come around with pink/orange tags for gate checking. Everyone followed instructions, not a single complaint, we all boarded and left ahead of schedule.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 8:38 am

Programs: AC*S100k
Being the Devils Advocate here....as I always have a carry-on...what about if checked baggage was free and carry on items required a charge?

Boarding would be a much quicker process ;-)
Old Sep 30, 2014, 8:40 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mikeycanuk
Finally! I've seen some monster carry-on's that don't fit into the overhead bins.

I've watched pax (especially the seniors) struggle to lift their rolling carry-ons into the bins.
The AC FAs I spoke with told me they are not allowed to lift these things for passengers due to potential for injury (eg. back)
Other passengers usually step in to help.

On some DL flights ex-ATL, I saw pax bring on massive bags that don't even get down the aisle and are the sizes one should check.
When I asked the FAs about those, the answer was: "If they can lift it and get it in the bins, then we don't care"

Perhaps if the airlines had developed a proper carry-on system that works everywhere and is consistent and THEN instituted checked bag - and also carry-on fees, there wouldn't be these endless problems with bags. Who really knows though, humans are unpredictable. Here comes the baggage police....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.