Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC in "crack down" on carry-on bags

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC in "crack down" on carry-on bags

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2014, 6:45 am
Formerly known as tireman77

Having owned businesses, when using the services of said business, I can assure you that I was looking at every aspect of service, product, atmosphere, etc. to a critical level that surpassed those of any customer. (Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.- V Lombardi). Now running an airline must be completely nuts. I was pulling my hair out trying to manage 100 employees, I can only imagine 12,000.

In this forum, I have been called an idiot, ignorant, clueless, and said "your head so far up your butt that its come back out through your mouth and you've become a human klein bottle."- and these are the nice ones, so PC and convivial are not always a forte around here.

My point here is that people are accusing AC management of not being aware of the realities of flying and using less than polite words when doing so. Now, when Ben replies that he and many AC higher ups fly regularly, with a statement that is probably true, he gets lambasted for being 'flippant' (a term I don't believe was accurate).

I am certain that most AC up-er persons are observing everything when they fly, and using all the real world observations to analyse and (internally) brainstorm. If you think otherwise, then please ask yourselves why the Ben's and Andrew are even here.

Edit: In addition, I really don't understand the hypocritical one-sided poo-slinging of some people here. People who say obnoxious, vengeful and accusatory things, but when the reply is not 100% politically correct (but miles from anything resembling inflammatory or accusatory) they accuse AC of not caring for its customers. If you can throw it, please sit there and take it. But hiding behind the "I'm a customer and you're the company, so I can say whatever I like but you can't talk to me like that!" attitude is infantile.

Last edited by PLeblond; Oct 22, 2014 at 6:56 am
Old Oct 22, 2014, 7:11 am
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
. . . . . . SNAPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!! . . . .

time to close this thread I bet--boy this woke me up this morning
Old Oct 22, 2014, 7:12 am

Programs: Presto
Originally Posted by Ben Lipsey
What exactly do you want me to say?
Read: “The Taming of the Troll” - Canadian Business, November 2014, Volume 87, Issue 13, Page 14 (

(CB gets a 'fail' for not being available for online references, as they have outsourced to Next Issue, but that's a for a different forum.)
Old Oct 22, 2014, 7:24 am
Flying Blue Director

Originally Posted by yulred
Do you pay for your tickets?

I'm fairly certain that someone paying to travel has an entirely different perception than someone who doesn't. The product or 'experience' is meaningless in itself. It can only be assesed against the cost. Someone paying $0.05 cents for a kit kat will have a very different perception of the kit Kat than someone paying $5 for it.
I don't disagree with your logic here, but I would say that if you design the product you are probably more attuned to how it should be delivered so your eye is probably more discerning. If I design the KitKat wrapper I will probably notice something out of place before a customer would.

I suspect the problem lies there. I can't be the only one reading this as: "we're going to turn the screw on you and take you as close to breaking point as possible till you get so upset that proceeding further would be counterproductive, at which point we will consider relenting".

It may be sound business philosophy, but it is, by definition, aimed at testing customer passivity. If you keep poking and prodding, people start getting ticked off. The angry posts you're witnessing haven't emerged from a vacuum - you've poked and pushed and you've gotten a reaction.

Are you surprised by some of the reactions? You shouldn't be; its what you consciously set out to test, after all.

Will it reach the critical mass you require it to in order to reconsider this? I don't know.

I'd ask AC to think it through before implementation instead of running these experiments at direct cost to consumers(who are seen as little more than guinea pigs), but I suspect it will fall on deaf ears. It speaks volumes about how the corporation views its customers.
What I meant was that we are constantly introducing new products and services. Take rouge or the 777 HD as two examples, as they seem to be the most contentious on here. From the negative feedback we get on here, you'd think we had no idea what we were doing and that there was no way we'd even survive, much less make money. We were told that all our loyal customers would never fly us again and that it was the most boneheaded move we'd ever made because and we'd go bankrupt so fast we wouldn't know what hit us.

Would it surprise you to learn that the opposite is in fact true?

My point is that people on here will tend to get very emotional, and so we've learned to take the reports here with a grain of sand. When I said that I only noticed one or two 'real' reports of customers being impacted, I didn't mean to imply that there weren't others who weren't speaking up. What I meant was that, as usual, this board was filled with more smoke than fire. We run/are running extensive type trials on the new policy and are observing. Not all of us wear uniforms, so you may not know that we are employees rather than gate lice, but we are watching. We get reports. We analyse the data, and if we see it is causing too much customer inconvenience, please trust me when I say we will change it. Not to say that 'some' is too much - as you'll see in the thread, it would appear there has been abuse in the past and these customers will certainly be inconvenienced; there will inevitably be growing pains, but we are hoping they are just temporary. Time will tell.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 7:25 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by tireman77
If you can throw it, please sit there and take it. But hiding behind the "I'm a customer and you're the company, so I can say whatever I like but you can't talk to me like that!" attitude is infantile.
It's just people with a disproportionate and sadly flawed sense of how important they are to the company. Air Canada flies millions of people each year but only THEY are the important ones in their own little minds. These are the same people with an over-developed sense of entitlement who don't give a damn about anyone else around them. Of course their carry-on is too big and they become enraged when the airline calls them on it.

I'm just surprised one of them hasn't said to the AC reps "I pay YOUR salary!!!!" It's what the entitled do.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 7:28 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by tireman77
Having owned businesses, when using the services of said business, I can assure you that I was looking at every aspect of service, product, atmosphere, etc. to a critical level that surpassed those of any customer. (Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.- V Lombardi). Now running an airline must be completely nuts. I was pulling my hair out trying to manage 100 employees, I can only imagine 12,000.

In this forum, I have been called an idiot, ignorant, clueless, and said "your head so far up your butt that its come back out through your mouth and you've become a human klein bottle."- and these are the nice ones, so PC and convivial are not always a forte around here.

My point here is that people are accusing AC management of not being aware of the realities of flying and using less than polite words when doing so. Now, when Ben replies that he and many AC higher ups fly regularly, with a statement that is probably true, he gets lambasted for being 'flippant' (a term I don't believe was accurate).

I am certain that most AC up-er persons are observing everything when they fly, and using all the real world observations to analyse and (internally) brainstorm. If you think otherwise, then please ask yourselves why the Ben's and Andrew are even here.

Edit: In addition, I really don't understand the hypocritical one-sided poo-slinging of some people here. People who say obnoxious, vengeful and accusatory things, but when the reply is not 100% politically correct (but miles from anything resembling inflammatory or accusatory) they accuse AC of not caring for its customers. If you can throw it, please sit there and take it. But hiding behind the "I'm a customer and you're the company, so I can say whatever I like but you can't talk to me like that!" attitude is infantile.
+1. Especially in the mud slinging part.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 7:30 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Badenoch
It's just people with a disproportionate and sadly flawed sense of how important they are to the company. Air Canada flies millions of people each year but only THEY are the important ones in their own little minds. These are the same people with an over-developed sense of entitlement who don't give a damn about anyone else around them. Of course their carry-on is too big and they become enraged when the airline calls them on it.

I'm just surprised one of them hasn't said to the AC reps "I pay YOUR salary!!!!" It's what the entitled do.
I used to have a lot of respect for super elites, usually letting them butt in line. Now I don't. I have respect for certain super elites after seeing how some behave here with their sense of entitlement. I wonder if its making up for other biological size differences sometimes. Then there are some former super elites which are even worse. Either way, bleh
Old Oct 22, 2014, 7:33 am
Flying Blue Director

Originally Posted by ChrisA330
Unhelpful could also be a way to describe many of the posts in this entire forum lately. The level of respect all around has hit rock bottom.

I believe Ben's comment was to a inference that HQ doesn't have clue about what actually goes on at the airport/in flight, whereas they fly as much as some of the posters on this board, so they do have perspective. I interpreted this as far from flippant.
Thank you, thank is exactly how I meant it. I didn't mean for it to come across as flippant, but it would appear anything I say has that effect to some people on here.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Time to close this thread.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 7:38 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Ben Lipsey
Thank you, thank is exactly how I meant it. I didn't mean for it to come across as flippant, but it would appear anything I say has that effect to some people on here.
To some, yes, but not to all.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 8:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
I've measured this thread and found it grossly beyond the confines of allowable size for proper debate and after a number of post deletions am closing it. The inability of some to engage in a reasoned, respectful discourse has unfortunately derailed this thread to the detriment of all. Please note that as per FT Rules those unable to play nicely with others may find themselves unable to play at all.

tcook052
Air Canada Forum Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.