Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC in "crack down" on carry-on bags

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC in "crack down" on carry-on bags

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2014, 5:11 pm

Programs: AC S100K
Old Sep 30, 2014, 5:33 pm

Programs: AC*E, HH*G
If AC could actually make an effort to work with their main Canadian hub airport so that checked baggage delivery/transit there wasn't a complete ******, they might have a leg to stand on.

Last edited by Braindrain; Oct 1, 2014 at 12:19 am
Old Sep 30, 2014, 6:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
"Carry-on chaos"

Quotes from the CBC article:

"Agents tag carry-on that won’t fit and send it to cargo. Fardy, who works at Pearson Airport, often at the gate, said this can cause delays and anger passengers: “It can be unpleasant. Ninety per cent of them don’t want to give up their bag.”

"Air Canada is now stepping up it's policing of overstuffed carry-on, but Fardy believes it will be difficult because of limited staff and limited visibility at check-in: “A passenger's family can be around the corner holding the carry-on bags, and we wouldn't know that."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/chec...haos-1.2781470
---

Hiding around the corner?????
Old Sep 30, 2014, 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by hoob
If AC could actually make an effort to work with their main Canadian hub airport so that checked baggage delivery/transit there wasn't a complete cluster, they might have a leg to stand on.
As per the Canadian Aviation Regulations, they have all the leg to stand on that they need.

" 705.42.(1).Every air operator shall establish a carry-on baggage control program that is approved by the Minister in accordance with theCommercial Air Service Standards.

(2).No air operator shall permit a person to carry on board an aircraft any carry-on baggage unless that baggage has been accepted in accordance with a carry-on baggage control program and can be

(a).stowed in a compartment or overhead rack that has been approved by the Minister in accordance with Chapter 551 of the.Airworthiness Manual.for the stowage of carry-on baggage;

(b).stowed under a passenger seat; or

(c).restrained by a means that has been approved by the Minister in accordance with Chapter 551 of the.Airworthiness Manual."

Last edited by tcook052; Oct 7, 2014 at 12:32 am
Old Sep 30, 2014, 6:18 pm

Ok so how did this become a major news story? Did they have a press releasr?

Is AC checking every bag or just eyeballing it?

Is AC also weighing the carry on bags?
Old Sep 30, 2014, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by yulred
Was AC having problems with carry-on bags? Were they delaying flights? Were they injuring people (like, say, the Rouge seats)?

If not, a lot of the standard vindictiveness on display on this thread is nonsensical. This has nothing to do with 'rules' and people 'not following rules'; why should it be 2 bags at 10 kg each and not, as CA requires on domestic flights, 1 bag at 5kg? Beyond the dimension of the overhead bin, its all arbitrary and any support for these 'rules' is based, presumably, on the notion that the airline knows best (consumers don't have brains, apparently).

One imagines that if the airline banned using the left armrest tomorrow, and began enforcing it two years down the line, many folk here would applaud themselves for following the airline's rule for two years, and criticize the pax who flouted that rule, conveniently ignoring the reality that they're no better off for it ; everyone is simply worse off. I suspect the tangible negative impact of people carrying oversize/overweight carry on bags is close to zero, pointless self-righteousness notwithstanding, and if one thinks those checked baggage delivery times are going to get better, well, good luck.

The long and short of it is that this is a cash grab. They're charging for checked bags, so it makes sense to maximize revenue by limiting ways to avoid it and funnelling more money into the system. More fees=more profit. Will they hire more baggage handlers to deal with the fallout? Probably not.

I've started treating this nickel and diming like charity. Just give money away and expect nothing in return. Except that, in this case, we'll probably end up getting less than nothing insofar as even longer baggage wait times count as a negative.
I am proud to be vindictive against those that exceed their carry-on limit and lead to the gate stampedes of those jockeying for overhead space.

The rules are primarily contractual and based as much on $ and cents as any safety or regulatory issues. Therefore, the rules, like most contractual matters are based upon offer and acceptance not some law of nature.

The impact of additional and larger carry-on is readily predictable and evidenced by similar experiences on US airlines.

Of course it is cash grab, airlines are a business, not a charity. But passengers, like corporations, are equally "greedy" - one to maximize profits the other to minimize cost - the result is the steady parade to the bottom.

I don't expect baggage wait times to change.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by gglave
They're just following the US carriers. The US carriers' experiences dictates that now that AC is charging for bag passengers will try to carry everything on, delaying boarding and causing frustration.

So they're trying to head that off at the pass by enforcing the rules.
Indeed. Generate a new revenue stream by creating a problem, and then fix it by making sure the revenue stream is protected at the expense of customer convenience.

When they start charging US fares, I'll be sympathetic. Until then, they might as well install donation boxes at the gate and collect loose change.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by robsaw
I am proud to be vindictive against those that exceed their carry-on limit and lead to the gate stampedes of those jockeying for overhead space.

The rules are primarily contractual and based as much on $ and cents as any safety or regulatory issues. Therefore, the rules, like most contractual matters are based upon offer and acceptance not some law of nature.
Are US carriers (and other carriers that do not have weight limits, like WS) unsafe?

As for these rules being 'primarily contractual', that would be worth something if regulators didn't have to step in every now and then to slap airlines on the wrist for not being fair (think IDB).

The impact of additional and larger carry-on is readily predictable and evidenced by similar experiences on US airlines.
The size constraint is easily remedied by the actual size of the overhead bin. The weight issue is arbitrary. That aside, US airlines have historically had better OTP than AC, so not convinced by this argument. If they're having issues with carry on luggage, it doesn't seem to be impacting their OTP much.

Of course it is cash grab, airlines are a business, not a charity. But passengers, like corporations, are equally "greedy" - one to maximize profits the other to minimize cost - the result is the steady parade to the bottom.
Some carriers are decent enough to give wriggle room (by not putting weight limits in place). Others just see it as an opportunity to heap on the misery. Airlines are a business, but being a business is not carte blanche to abuse consumers. If it weren't for greed trumping a reasonable approach, we wouldn't need regulatory authorities (or, for that matter, the Phantom).

WS has dropped the weight limit. Will AC?

As for charity, handing over money and expecting nothing (or better yet, less) in return, is the very definition of charity.

I don't expect baggage wait times to change.
More bags (those who were flaunting the rules until today) + same infrastructure + same labour force = ...

The math is fairly straightforward.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 7:23 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Originally Posted by yulred

Some carriers are decent enough to give wriggle room (by not putting weight limits in place). Others just see it as an opportunity to heap on the misery. Airlines are a business, but being a business is not carte blanche to abuse consumers. If it weren't for greed trumping a reasonable approach, we wouldn't need regulatory authorities (or, for that matter, the Phantom).

WS has dropped the weight limit. Will AC?
When Lufthansa installed NEK on their shorthaul they had a similar crackdown on bags that were within size limits but over 8kg. In my experience that has been totally relaxed although I don't stress now checking a bag with them as i know I will receive it and not have a long wait. I have confidence in AC delivering a bag I have checked but know that the wait at YYZ will in some cases equal the actual flight time. BA is great in having no weight limit for legal sized carry on but I have zero confidence in their ability to actually deliver a checked bag to a destination that involves a connection at LHR.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 7:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Global News videos from Pearson.
Not a pretty sight.
$50-70 million. Nice lunch money.
I love the guy who said "you stuck it in there, now you get it out"

http://globalnews.ca/news/1591393/ai...ry-on-baggage/
Old Sep 30, 2014, 8:06 pm

OK I'm looking at this video that CBC put on - I think there is a design flaw in the measuring device. It should not be designed with metal bars... it should be hard plastic or a wooden box.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/chec...haos-1.2781470

1. Asian guy's black bag - is a standard bag - it would have fit fine in the overhead compartment. It should have been allowed IMO. The AC measuring device is flawed.

2. Checkered shirt guy's brown bag - is also a standard - it would have fit fine in the overhead compartment. It also should have been allowed IMO. The AC measuring device is flawed.

3. Suit guy in a suit hard shell bag - OK it fit.

4. Lady's small bag - it is SO tiny how could that not pass???

5. Girl's wide brown faux leather bag - OK I agree it is a fail.

6. Guy's black bag that barely fits.... shows the poor design of the measuring device. The way the measuring device jams the wheel because the ends get caught between the bars. Again, showing flaw of the measuring device.

Next time I'm just going to go straight to security and try evade these people.

Last edited by theseatbelt; Sep 30, 2014 at 8:12 pm
Old Sep 30, 2014, 8:22 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by theseatbelt
OK I'm looking at this video that CBC put on - I think there is a design flaw in the measuring device. It should not be designed with metal bars... it should be hard plastic or a wooden box.

<snip>
Don't be so reasonable and objective. You'll be called out for being a whining, over-entitled, selfish, unsafe DYKWIA
Old Sep 30, 2014, 8:28 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Thank you AC. I can comply. Now fulfill your end of the deal, and that is to deliver checked baggage in a timely manner.
Arriving from Asia with EVA my bag has always been on the carousel by the time I clear customs at YYZ . If I am on an AC flight, my minimum wait time is usually 30-60 minutes depending upon the season, and that's if my bag arrives. All of my missed baggage in the past 3 years has been with AC. I do understand why people will resist this new policy. If AC had reliable baggage delivery, I would have no sympathy.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 8:37 pm

BTW the way that this passenger claims to be treated in this following video was unacceptable and inappropriate. If an agent ran and yelled at me, I would be more upset than this passenger in the video: http://globalnews.ca/video/1591017/c...baggage-policy
Old Sep 30, 2014, 8:38 pm

Programs: AC E50K MM * DL MM * HH Diamond * Marriott Lifetime Titanium * Queen's '92
A lot of what is being shown in those videos look like typical rollaboards, not oversized ones.

The weight thing is just preposterous. Again, a standard Tumi bag is going to eat up most of that weight by itself, and it's hardly making the bins collapse. They need to back off on this one like WS did, or they are going to see an exodus of FF.

The rouging and the lack of wifi are bad enough compared to the competition. Weighing bags is insanity.

Last edited by Simon; Sep 30, 2014 at 8:46 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.