Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC in "crack down" on carry-on bags

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC in "crack down" on carry-on bags

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2014, 3:30 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by InTheAirGuy
Luggage nazis out in full force at SFO.

This is gonna be bad, folks. Bad.

Just expect gate congestion, anger, SNAFU, brutal.

Gotta love an airline that loves it customers!
They've been enforcing carry-ons for a while at SFO, although they're usually pretty reasonable. Each time I've been in J, they haven't forced me to put my back in the sizer (it is legal, but it's frustrating to do this during the boarding process).
Old Sep 30, 2014, 3:33 pm

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Sean Peever
Sorry, I wasn't very clear. I didn't mean safety from something falling or similar. What I meant is that there is a tolerance from the aircraft manufacture as to how much weight can actually be in the bins, ie: what the bins are rated to be able to hold.

So I fully support and hope that the weight limit is increased but I of course don't want them to risk exceeding the manufacture weight limit on the bins.

Now yes, many airlines have eliminated the limit saying simply that you have to be able to lift it into the bin unassisted. They have clearly done the study to figure out that they can do this without hitting the limit. If this is the case all the better!
Actually I think they have decades of data now to support that the limit can be increased. It is called real life. If anybody thinks that the maximum ever found in a single bin is 30 kg they are dreaming. I would bet the vast majority of roll on baggage is in excess of 10 kg.

And as far as: use a duffle bag. You might have to do that while flying small charter aircraft in Africa, but this is not that. Not least due to not having the strict limit of 10 kg per passenger per flight like small African charter flights do. (And many other parts of the world too, I assume.) People use roller bags because, in many instances, carrying bags around every day can cause real health concerns, like back problems, even if they weigh less than 10 kg. The wheel was invented a long time ago. Maybe it is time you took advantage of it?
Old Sep 30, 2014, 3:39 pm

We all know the weight limits are really there to save fuel.

Take an average of 200 people with 5Kg less? 1000Kg of less load on average (or more space for pricier/kg cargo).

This is sadly going to give the US carriers bad ideas about weight limits.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 3:42 pm

Was AC having problems with carry-on bags? Were they delaying flights? Were they injuring people (like, say, the Rouge seats)?

If not, a lot of the standard vindictiveness on display on this thread is nonsensical. This has nothing to do with 'rules' and people 'not following rules'; why should it be 2 bags at 10 kg each and not, as CA requires on domestic flights, 1 bag at 5kg? Beyond the dimension of the overhead bin, its all arbitrary and any support for these 'rules' is based, presumably, on the notion that the airline knows best (consumers don't have brains, apparently).

One imagines that if the airline banned using the left armrest tomorrow, and began enforcing it two years down the line, many folk here would applaud themselves for following the airline's rule for two years, and criticize the pax who flouted that rule, conveniently ignoring the reality that they're no better off for it ; everyone is simply worse off. I suspect the tangible negative impact of people carrying oversize/overweight carry on bags is close to zero, pointless self-righteousness notwithstanding, and if one thinks those checked baggage delivery times are going to get better, well, good luck.

The long and short of it is that this is a cash grab. They're charging for checked bags, so it makes sense to maximize revenue by limiting ways to avoid it and funnelling more money into the system. More fees=more profit. Will they hire more baggage handlers to deal with the fallout? Probably not.

I've started treating this nickel and diming like charity. Just give money away and expect nothing in return. Except that, in this case, we'll probably end up getting less than nothing insofar as even longer baggage wait times count as a negative.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 3:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by jcamp028
Yes, but now AC wants to force you to hand over your $700 carry-on to pearson baggage handling so that they can manage to break it in a single trip.
Quick, call Dave Carroll (United Breaks Guitars) and tell him to get ready for a new tune.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 3:54 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by yvr76
This is interesting, WestJet has removed its 10kg weight restriction for its carry-on luggage:
http://www.westjet.com/guest/en/trav...carry-on.shtml

Given that both WestJet and United don't have strict weight limits, AC needs to do the same, or at least up theirs to something reasonable.

If they're going to enforce carry-ons, having each pax put them in the sizer and also weigh them is simply too time consuming.

It's now Weight Watchers for bags
Old Sep 30, 2014, 4:12 pm

Programs: AP SE
Originally Posted by BlueMilk
Let me get this right...

On certain routes, AC flies aircraft variants that don't fit conforming carry-on luggage while not offering sky-check?

If so, that's a very real problem (irrespective of any new enforcement).
That is right. I have been in J and been able to get the FA to put my bag in the closet. In Y, you will be forced to check.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 4:27 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by yulred
Was AC having problems with carry-on bags? Were they delaying flights? Were they injuring people (like, say, the Rouge seats)?
They're just following the US carriers. The US carriers' experiences dictates that now that AC is charging for bag passengers will try to carry everything on, delaying boarding and causing frustration.

So they're trying to head that off at the pass by enforcing the rules.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by Slalom01
Originally Posted by BlueMilk
Let me get this right...

On certain routes, AC flies aircraft variants that don't fit conforming carry-on luggage while not offering sky-check?

If so, that's a very real problem (irrespective of any new enforcement).
That is right. I have been in J and been able to get the FA to put my bag in the closet. In Y, you will be forced to check.
In 283 flights on the Q and 104 on the 705 this year. I've had to resort to checking bags on 6 occasions, those bags wouldn't go under the seats and were wider then a trolley.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 4:35 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by InTheAirGuy
Luggage nazis out in full force at SFO.

This is gonna be bad, folks. Bad.

Just expect gate congestion, anger, SNAFU, brutal.

Gotta love an airline that loves it customers!

Back in June leaving SFO, one AC GA pulled people out of the boarding line and made them stuff their bags and purses (?) in the sizer, then forced people to gate check. It seemed her focus was on older kettles. So, to see what happens tomorrow on my YYZ-SFO, I've taking the back-pack instead of the roller - and a jacket with lots of pockets
Old Sep 30, 2014, 4:41 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA*S, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond | Formerly: AC Super Elite
I hope AC remembers to treat us :-: :-: Super Elites :-: :-: properly and exempt us from all this hassle

If I don't check bags, I sure as heck won't check my privilege at the door
Old Sep 30, 2014, 4:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by maradori
I hope AC remembers to treat us :-: :-: Super Elites :-: :-: properly and exempt us from all this hassle

If I don't check bags, I sure as heck won't check my privilege at the door
Super Elite? Your privilege is for checked bags (up to 3 no charge) and not to bring the kitchen sink on board! I don't want it above my head!
Old Sep 30, 2014, 5:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by mkjr
22 pounds is not a joke. it is very reasonable to me. just pack less if you want carry on only and do laundry at your location if you have less stuff.

or check a bag and pay.

what a bunch of whiners. at least we know who has been abusing the rules.
Precisely. The wailing of the SEs and the DYKWIA types is a symphony of the entitled who are suddenly required to live within simple rules. I look forward with keen anticipation to seeing their whining performances live and in person.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 5:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by Badenoch
Precisely. The wailing of the SEs and the DYKWIA types is a symphony of the entitled who are suddenly required to live within simple rules. I look forward with keen anticipation to seeing their whining performances live and in person.
I will Bring the popcorn!
Old Sep 30, 2014, 5:07 pm

[QUOTE=ridefar;23605935]
Originally Posted by Sean Peever

Actually I think they have decades of data now to support that the limit can be increased. It is called real life. If anybody thinks that the maximum ever found in a single bin is 30 kg they are dreaming. I would bet the vast majority of roll on baggage is in excess of 10 kg.
The placarded weight limit of the bin is based on the 9G crash requirement.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.