Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC in "crack down" on carry-on bags

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2014, 6:21 am

Programs: AC*SE,MM
Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
Really, 30 to 60 min wait time and if your bag arrives??? Arrived on AC 881 on Sept. 29. No wait at customs, bags arrived within 5 min. Lost bags. Last 25 years, some 3000+ flights, 3x bagged did not arrive. 2x major snow storms in yyz and yvr.
I would say typical wait for baggage at YYZ is 20-25 minutes, with range of 10-40 minutes.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 6:39 am
Formerly known as tireman77

Wow. I Love reading all of this. Especially the "Its about time!!!" and then the quick 180 "Oh wait! They can't enforce this on SE's??!??? That's outrageous!!"

Please keep it up AC! Also, can we get the crew to make sure those who bring more than one carry on put the second one under the seat bellow them, like they are supposed to? Please!!!!

Maybe once the initial teething has passed, people won't care as much about priority boarding order and be able to spend an extra 20 minutes in the lounge and not have to worry about lining up early to board to find a place for their bags.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 7:17 am

Originally Posted by canadiancow

I would not worry about this if you have status.
I must disagree with this statement.

Why should someone with status not subject to the cabin baggage size and weight rule?
Old Oct 1, 2014, 7:21 am

Any idea why most US legacy carriers allow 9x15x22" while AC allows 9x15.5x21.5"?

It seems that many carry on bags are designed to the 22" height.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 7:47 am

Programs: LANPASS Comodoro (Emerald), others
Can someone explain to me how it is the business of security screening to enforce airline baggage rules? As long as it fits into their scanner what matters to them? How do they know if or if not I am going to gate check and oversize bag?
Old Oct 1, 2014, 8:02 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by theseatbelt
OK I'm looking at this video that CBC put on - I think there is a design flaw in the measuring device. It should not be designed with metal bars... it should be hard plastic or a wooden box.
United's sizer (found at almost every gate) is two metal boxes - One for your rollaboard, one for a 'personal item.'

Old Oct 1, 2014, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by gateguard0
Any idea why most US legacy carriers allow 9x15x22" while AC allows 9x15.5x21.5"?

It seems that many carry on bags are designed to the 22" height.
This is the real issue.
AC can/should crack down on carry-on AFTER they confirm the size, weight and load capabilities of their overhead bins.
Why frustrate passengers and then not use the full size and capabilities of the (improved) overhead bins?
22.5" fit wheels first. And the "load" warnings must have been written by the same Chicken Little that wrote the cell phone interference in flight warnings.

Last edited by CloudsBelow; Oct 1, 2014 at 9:00 am
Old Oct 1, 2014, 8:58 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by CloudsBelow
This is the real issue.
AC can/should crack down on carry-on AFTER they confirm the size, weight and load capabilities of their overhead bins.
Why frustrate passengers and then not use the full size and capabilities of the (improved) overhead bins?
22.5" fit wheels first. And the "load" warnings are complete nonsense
Good points. This reminds me of the backlash from United's revised carry-on baggage from earlier this year. Turns out they're not enforcing the new rules for the most part, but basically almost everyone's existing carry-on bags (rollers *and* laptop bags) became non-compliant overnight. The capacity of the bins didn't change, but the rules did.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 9:01 am

Programs: AC SE MM
Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
Really, 30 to 60 min wait time and if your bag arrives??? Arrived on AC 881 on Sept. 29. No wait at customs, bags arrived within 5 min. Lost bags. Last 25 years, some 3000+ flights, 3x bagged did not arrive. 2x major snow storms in yyz and yvr.
Your very lucky or I'm really unlucky. I've missed 3 connections out of YYZ out of 4 times that I checked a bag last year due to the bags taking way too long to arrive and them cutting off. No lie, same as my power outlet or USB has not worked for 8 out of my last 12 flights. I have all the green and blue cards to prove it for those who don't believe me. I will avoid checking a bag like the plague if any part of my flight involves YYZ.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 9:05 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by theseatbelt
BTW the way that this passenger claims to be treated in this following video was unacceptable and inappropriate. If an agent ran and yelled at me, I would be more upset than this passenger in the video: http://globalnews.ca/video/1591017/c...baggage-policy
Thanks for posting that video. It's great to see some whining, entitled jerk being required to live within the rules. Wonder why they didn't measure the shopping bag he was carrying too?

The AC employee in the video should have let the ignoramus pull his own bag out of the sizer.

Keep up the good work AC! It's about time.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 9:08 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by CloudsBelow
This is the real issue.
22.5" fit wheels first. And the "load" warnings must have been written by the same Chicken Little that wrote the cell phone interference in flight warnings.
Not always. My bag is 9x14.5x21.5 (if I squash the handle down), comfortably 9x14.5x22. Its awkward to fit wheels first in some of the 777-300 bins (over ABC / HJK. Completely fine in 777 centre bins, 763, 319-321, E190, CRA, etc...
Old Oct 1, 2014, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by yeg2where
Not always. My bag is 9x14.5x21.5 (if I squash the handle down), comfortably 9x14.5x22. Its awkward to fit wheels first in some of the 777-300 bins (over ABC / HJK. Completely fine in 777 centre bins, 763, 319-321, E190, CRA, etc...
Do you put it in wheels out and up? i.e., you can see the wheels from aisle? Oddly, I've found tighter fit in AC's 320 series a/c than UA's 737 though the Airbus is slightly wider. Not up to date but I'm assuming Boeing New Sky interior includes bigger bins, stronger bins.

Airlines should promote and use the products in their fleet to their potential and passengers must abide OR pay when they can't/won't.

Saw Westjet had some relaxed public comments about their carry-on policy which will keep AC in check on the matter. It's not a big leap from "Following carry-on regulations" to "Taking advantage of new bag fees at expense of customer"

AC better be careful not to fall into their old ways of stepping over quarters to pick up nickels
Old Oct 1, 2014, 9:22 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Badenoch
Thanks for posting that video. It's great to see some whining, entitled jerk being required to live within the rules. Wonder why they didn't measure the shopping bag he was carrying too?

The AC employee in the video should have let the ignoramus pull his own bag out of the sizer.

Keep up the good work AC! It's about time.
If you watch the video, you'll see that the "whining, entitled jerk" was compliant with the rules and had every intention of demonstrating so. He was upset, understandably, at the manner in which he was allegedly chased down while trying to purchase a tea.

While I agree that he should've been required to remove his own bag from the sizer, it's not "about time" that AC yells at its customers across airport terminals.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 9:31 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by ffsim
If you watch the video, you'll see that the "whining, entitled jerk" was compliant with the rules and had every intention of demonstrating so. He was upset, understandably, at the manner in which he was allegedly chased down while trying to purchase a tea.

While I agree that he should've been required to remove his own bag from the sizer, it's not "about time" that AC yells at its customers across airport terminals.
I don't buy for a minute the guy's story that he was just "going for a tea." More likely he was he was going directly to the gate and deliberately ignored the AC employee. The entitled never believe the rules apply to them. He got what he deserved.

AC has given these jerks free reign for too long. It's not rocket science to have carry-on bags the fit the sizers and meet the weight limits.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by Badenoch
I don't buy for a minute the guy's story that he was just "going for a tea." More likely he was he was going directly to the gate and deliberately ignored the AC employee. The entitled never believe the rules apply to them. He got what he deserved.

AC has given these jerks free reign for too long. It's not rocket science to have carry-on bags the fit the sizers and meet the weight limits.
Really? Even after he showed up to size his luggage with a tea?

To be clear, we're on the same page regarding jerks having free reign for too long. I've mentioned numerous times, even in this thread, that enforcement should be uniform and across the board. VBITs, Altituders, the whole bunch. There's a set of rules for carry-on luggage and they should be enforced. The lack of enforcement causes obvious problems that are clear to anyone who's ever boarded a plane.

At the same time, it's 100% wrong to suggest "he got what he deserved" and imply that getting yelled at by AC staff is acceptable. I know I'd be furious if it happened to me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.