Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada rouge, a leisure airline

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 5, 2014, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Arcanum
Flights operated by Air Canada rouge

NOTE: Rouge Wifi information can be found here
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...l#post28448087

Dates in brackets indicate planned start of rouge service (either as a new route or replacing mainline service). ML placed before a date indicates the date that service is reverting to mainline.

All Airbus A319/A321 service is in the new Premium Rouge configuration with 2x2J seats. All other routes are Boeing 767-300ER aircraft in a 24J/258Y layout.

Airport codes in blue indicate that these routes are Boeing 767-300ER aircraft for all services.
Airport codes in red indicate that these routes are split between Boeing 767-300ER and Airbus services.
Airport codes in black indicate that these routes are Airbus aircraft for all services.

Routes are organized based on the established rouge bases of YYZ, YUL, YYC, and YVR

*Seasonal Summer Service

YYZ
Canada
YQT YQY YXX YLW YYG (02MAY-OCT) YDF YQB YQM (01MAY19) YFC (01JUL19)

USA
MCO TPA LAS FLL HNL SRQ RSW SAN PHX MIA PSP (14DEC16)

Mexico
CUN PVR SJD

Caribbean
KIN NAS LIR GND MBJ AZS CCC CUR HUX PUJ POP SKB SJO SXM LRM HOG SNU UVF VRA BGI (07JAN) POS (21DEC16)

Europe
ATH BCN EDI VCE MAN LIS PRG BUD GLA LGW

Central and South America
LIM BOG PTY

YUL
USA
LAS MCO FLL PBI TPA MIA

Mexico
CUN MEX PVR (18NOV16)

Caribbean
ZSA CCC HOG PUJ SNU PLS POP PAP NAS (17JAN) PTP

Europe
FCO ATH BCN NCE VCE

Central and South America
SJO (22DEC16)

Africa
CMN

YYC
Canada
YHZ* YHM (2016)

USA
LAS PHX (winter only - PHX AC Express in summer)

YVR
USA
LAS HNL OGG PHX PSP KOA SAN (02JUN)

Mexico
CUN PVR

Asia
KIX

Europe
DUB LGA KEF

What to Do If Your Flight Has Been Rouged According to the AC Rep "Air Canada Altitude": call AC Reservations, cancel and get a refund.
Print Wikipost

Air Canada rouge, a leisure airline

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2014, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by Sant
Bad publicity does not always prevent profitability. Spirit is a very profitable airline and I rarely hear good things about them.
As is Ryanair. Difference, you know exactly what you are buying with those two. It's a uniform product.

How many people out there still think Rouge is AC, and have no idea. You don't think people will start equating Rouge sucks with AC sucks?
Old Aug 29, 2014, 1:17 pm

Programs: AC, A3*G AB-G
Originally Posted by CloudsBelow
The irony is s/he contributes to the product s/he decided not to fly. AC knows the only way to scoop some of the heavy traffic on California<>SYD is undercutting price. I’m sure a noticeable portion of the mid-AM Rouge YVR-LAX/SFO flights are price-sensitive connecting passengers who didn’t want to pay the premium non-stop prices from QF, UA, VA, DL.
The other irony is that AC needs these passengers, and connecting passengers in general, to increase its load factor and make that TPAC route sufficiently profitable. However it then reserves the right to treat them as bottom-feeders and complain about low yield.

Funny how when AC engages in price wars with new market entrants it does not feel the need to Rouge those routes at the same time due to the inevitable poor yield.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
I'd very much disagree with that statement.
While there's certainly no linear relationship between publicity and profitability, I don't see how the two would be inversely related. If anything the two are completely unrelated or may have a weak direct relationship.
Cabin comfort and "going the extra mile" for passengers costs big bucks. If you're not getting it back in fare premium, you're losing
Originally Posted by rankourabu
As is Ryanair. Difference, you know exactly what you are buying with those two. It's a uniform product.
Just think about what you're saying ...... If everyone knows exactly what they're buying with Spirit, why would DoT be dealing with 3* as many complaints regarding them vs all other airlines?
I mean, you don't buy a Corolla and complain while driving it that it doesn't accelerate like a Corvette.
Truth is, passengers driven by price might complain and swear off Spirit/Rouge/Sunwing/Transat ... Until the next time they're travelling and nobody's cheaper
Old Aug 29, 2014, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by Gus2013
The other irony is that AC needs these passengers, and connecting passengers in general, to increase its load factor and make that TPAC route sufficiently profitable. However it then reserves the right to treat them as bottom-feeders and complain about low yield.
when was AC sufficiently profitable?

Funny how when AC engages in price wars with new market entrants it does not feel the need to Rouge those routes at the same time due to the inevitable poor yield.
Any specific examples?
AA (Regional) is a new entrant on YVRLAX and AC is sending Rouge.
They're deploying Rouge in YYC and YVR - 2 Westjet markets.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 1:28 pm

Any specific examples?
AA (Regional) is a new entrant on YVRLAX and AC is sending Rouge.
They're deploying Rouge in YYC and YVR - 2 Westjet markets.
Virgin on YYZ-LAX.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 1:45 pm

Virgin on YYZ-LAX.
I wasn't following that route very closely, but if AC is charging $700RT and Virgin comes in at $450, should AC not match them down to $450? It would be insane to not respond to new competition.

Virgin then pulled out, and AC presumably increases its prices again. That is the market... it isn't that AC used anti-competitive practices, you can bet had there were that Virgin would have sued.

Besides, I'm confused as to what your position actually is....

...are you serious in thinking if AC is facing a price war they should Rouge the route? As has been screamed from the hills on this forum mainline and Rouge are quite different... obviously AC isn't planning on Rouging everything and the product is inadequate for certain markets. If the price war drags on long term and the route becomes low yielding, sure I could see it go Rouge.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 1:47 pm

Programs: American AAdvantage
Originally Posted by rankourabu
How many people out there still think Rouge is AC, and have no idea. You don't think people will start equating Rouge sucks with AC sucks?
Is it any different when passengers purchase an AC ticket only to fly on a regional airline marketed as AC?
Old Aug 29, 2014, 1:56 pm

Winnipegrev, you jumped in mid-exchange and are replying out of context to my comments. I was discussing what I considered to be classic "blame the customer for buying at the price that was being offered" attitude, where AC is by definition the victim and needs to defend itself against the cheap hoards of budget backpackers (sort of oversimplifying here... but sometime a caricature delivers the core message better a lifelike portrait).

And I never said anything about anti-competitive... nobody is (or at least I am not) suggesting that AC is doing something illegal.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 2:00 pm

Virgin on YYZ-LAX.
Why would Air Canada deploy a leisure-oriented product to defend against an airline looking to snag mid/high-yielding customers on a a Premium transcon route?
Old Aug 29, 2014, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by winnipegrev
That is the market... it isn't that AC used anti-competitive practices, you can bet had there were that Virgin would have sued.
There are limits to the degree an airline can 'respond' to competition. VX didn't bother getting entangled in what would likely have been a long and drawn out process (the WS-AC case started in 2000 or 2001 and only reached some type of resolution in 2004). They deployed their aircraft to DEN instead.

The criteria itself:

- Reviews of alleged abuses of dominance in the airline industry will be triggered only by significant responses by a dominant carrier to existing competition or to new entry, not by a carrier's usual seasonal or operational practices;

- The Bureau recognizes that there can be legitimate business reasons for an airline to operate a flight below its avoidable costs. As such, operating capacity below avoidable costs will not necessarily give rise to enforcement action in all circumstances; and

-As a general principle, the Bureau will not take enforcement action where a dominant carrier responds to competition by reducing its fares to match, but not undercut, the fares of a competitor. This signals a qualified tolerance of fare matching, which is a softening of the Bureau's previous position on this key issue. However, the Commissioner's letter also states that if such fare reductions are accompanied by a significant increase in capacity, or an increase in the number of seats available at the lowest price, the Bureau will consider whether enforcement action is appropriate.

I dont know enough about what happened but who knows how it might have turned out if VX had kicked up a fuss.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 5:44 pm

Programs: WS Platinum, Marriott Titanium, DL Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Sant
Is it any different when passengers purchase an AC ticket only to fly on a regional airline marketed as AC?
I couldn't disagree more. It's entirely different. The experience on an Express E90 or a Jazz CR7 or, heck, even a Q400 is not dissimilar to mainline Air Canada. Smaller aircraft, but a very consistent product and a comfortable experience. I can fit in their seats, my legs will not be crushed for the entire duration of the flight.

On Rouge, it's a totally different - and IMO utterly awful - experience. My legs fit and my flight is comfortable on every AC product except for Rouge.

(Same goes for UA and UAX. The two offer a consistent experience and consistent brand, just smaller aircraft -- most pax don't even know the difference. Absolutely nothing like AC vs ACR.)

I wouldn't put any carrier's regional carrier offering in the same boat as Spirit, Allegiant, or Rouge. No comparison. Entirely different experience, and entirely different value prop (well, on Spirit or Allegiant, at least).

Last edited by FlyerJ; Aug 29, 2014 at 5:49 pm
Old Aug 30, 2014, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by FlyerJ
I couldn't disagree more. It's entirely different. The experience on an Express E90 or a Jazz CR7 or, heck, even a Q400 is not dissimilar to mainline Air Canada. Smaller aircraft, but a very consistent product and a comfortable experience.
Odd that you wouldn't include CR2? Likely the experience the poster was specifically referring to in his Express mention.
Passengers might book AC 5678 on Air Canada's website and find themselves on a crammed Skywest CR2. How different is that experience and product from Rouge?
Old Aug 30, 2014, 10:11 am

Programs: WS Platinum, Marriott Titanium, DL Gold, UA Silver
Odd that you wouldn't include CR2? Likely the experience the poster was specifically referring to in his Express mention.
Passengers might book AC 5678 on Air Canada's website and find themselves on a crammed Skywest CR2. How different is that experience and product from Rouge?
1. I fit on a UAX CR2, just like I fit on AC mainline. I don't fit on an ACR 319.
2. On a UAX CR2, my fellow PAX knees will not be driven into my back for the duration of the flight, just like mainline. On ACR, they will.
3. On any AC mainline or Express or UA codeshare flight, I can be assured to receive a basic level of physical comfort. On an ACR 319, I can be assured to be physically assaulted.

There are always going to be differences between aircraft in a fleet. The 787 experience and comfort will always be somewhat different than the 320. There will always be better and worse aircraft with better and worse features. That in no way validates or justifies shoehorning customers into ridiculously small seats on Rouge where their backs will be constantly jarred by other PAX knees and their legs, backs will constantly be contorted.

When it comes to AC customers buying AC tickets but flying on UA metal, I've never heard of anyone expressing concern about that being a bait-and-switch, about that harming the Air Canada brand, or about that leading to an unexpectedly awful experience. When it comes to Rouge, the opposite has proven to be quite common.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 7:33 am

Programs: American AAdvantage
Originally Posted by FlyerJ
I couldn't disagree more. It's entirely different. The experience on an Express E90 or a Jazz CR7 or, heck, even a Q400 is not dissimilar to mainline Air Canada. Smaller aircraft, but a very consistent product and a comfortable experience. I can fit in their seats, my legs will not be crushed for the entire duration of the flight.
So AC's regionals never flew turboprops in the late 90s and early 2k?

No passengers returning from an international long-haul destination from Asia or South America had a surprise with a connection on ATRs or Saabs?
Old Sep 2, 2014, 8:38 am

Programs: A/C 50k, DL Silver, HH Silver
Flying UA now

It took Rouge PHX-YYZ for me to look for another way to LHR this year.

Couldn't live with Rouge seats and pitch for 4 1/2 hours then 7 more hours non-Rouge to LHR.

Price on AC comes in at $1,660 RT. Looked up UA and got $883 with regular seat pitch and 787 TATL. Good bye AC. I can take a lot of bad UA service for $877. Aeroplan may still get may flights credited to them when UA switches to $$ based miles earning.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.