Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada rouge, a leisure airline

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 5, 2014, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Arcanum
Flights operated by Air Canada rouge

NOTE: Rouge Wifi information can be found here
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...l#post28448087

Dates in brackets indicate planned start of rouge service (either as a new route or replacing mainline service). ML placed before a date indicates the date that service is reverting to mainline.

All Airbus A319/A321 service is in the new Premium Rouge configuration with 2x2J seats. All other routes are Boeing 767-300ER aircraft in a 24J/258Y layout.

Airport codes in blue indicate that these routes are Boeing 767-300ER aircraft for all services.
Airport codes in red indicate that these routes are split between Boeing 767-300ER and Airbus services.
Airport codes in black indicate that these routes are Airbus aircraft for all services.

Routes are organized based on the established rouge bases of YYZ, YUL, YYC, and YVR

*Seasonal Summer Service

YYZ
Canada
YQT YQY YXX YLW YYG (02MAY-OCT) YDF YQB YQM (01MAY19) YFC (01JUL19)

USA
MCO TPA LAS FLL HNL SRQ RSW SAN PHX MIA PSP (14DEC16)

Mexico
CUN PVR SJD

Caribbean
KIN NAS LIR GND MBJ AZS CCC CUR HUX PUJ POP SKB SJO SXM LRM HOG SNU UVF VRA BGI (07JAN) POS (21DEC16)

Europe
ATH BCN EDI VCE MAN LIS PRG BUD GLA LGW

Central and South America
LIM BOG PTY

YUL
USA
LAS MCO FLL PBI TPA MIA

Mexico
CUN MEX PVR (18NOV16)

Caribbean
ZSA CCC HOG PUJ SNU PLS POP PAP NAS (17JAN) PTP

Europe
FCO ATH BCN NCE VCE

Central and South America
SJO (22DEC16)

Africa
CMN

YYC
Canada
YHZ* YHM (2016)

USA
LAS PHX (winter only - PHX AC Express in summer)

YVR
USA
LAS HNL OGG PHX PSP KOA SAN (02JUN)

Mexico
CUN PVR

Asia
KIX

Europe
DUB LGA KEF

What to Do If Your Flight Has Been Rouged According to the AC Rep "Air Canada Altitude": call AC Reservations, cancel and get a refund.
Print Wikipost

Air Canada rouge, a leisure airline

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2014, 12:56 pm

Didnt know any of the 67 fleet had winglets;

Thanks!
Old Aug 16, 2014, 1:07 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Originally Posted by hearna
Didnt know any of the 67 fleet had winglets;

Thanks!
Winglets were added when the planes were converted to rouge.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 2:37 pm

Rouge fins 631-636 have winglets, 691-692 (ex Pineapples) currently don't but will get winglets this fall to match at the same time as the interior is updated from 264 to 280 seats. Last I heard, only 10 Rouge 763s are scheduled to get winglets which means just 2 of the 4 being converted this winter will get them.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 2:46 pm

air canada rouge or ruse?

I have been on several rouge flights especially yyz to las and I have to believe a better name for this airline would be Air Canada Ruse.

If it was a discount airline, the prices would be cheap. They are not. It is a "ruse'.

The fares have actually gone up on the yyz to las route since "Ruse" has taken over.

This flight is over 4 hours and the chairs are way too tight for any comfort.

Has there been any benefit to customers since Air Canada switched to "Ruse"? I can't think of any. Same prices or higher and less value. Ipad entertainment is a joke compared to the Air Canada planes.

And everyone I speak with says the same. The Elite and Super Elite are not amused by this "Ruse".

Bring back AC especially on long flights from yyz to las, or phx.

I'm now checking other routing and Westjet on those flights so I can have some comfort.

Last edited by walterbord; Aug 16, 2014 at 2:52 pm Reason: grammer
Old Aug 17, 2014, 5:18 am
Formerly known as tireman77

Originally Posted by walterbord
I have been on several rouge flights especially yyz to las and I have to believe a better name for this airline would be Air Canada Ruse.

If it was a discount airline, the prices would be cheap. They are not. It is a "ruse'.

The fares have actually gone up on the yyz to las route since "Ruse" has taken over.

This flight is over 4 hours and the chairs are way too tight for any comfort.

Has there been any benefit to customers since Air Canada switched to "Ruse"? I can't think of any. Same prices or higher and less value. Ipad entertainment is a joke compared to the Air Canada planes.

And everyone I speak with says the same. The Elite and Super Elite are not amused by this "Ruse".

Bring back AC especially on long flights from yyz to las, or phx.

I'm now checking other routing and Westjet on those flights so I can have some comfort.
They were losing money on the routes, so your request to bring back mainline on these routes is akin to asking them to give you money to fly them.

Your options are, in essence Rouge or nothing.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 8:21 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by tireman77
Your options are, in essence Rouge or nothing.
"Nothing?"

Is there a Rouge route that isn't served by a single competitor?

Sure, there might be routes with no nonstop competitors, but I can't think of a single route where there aren't many other options.

If you're not happy about Rouge speak with your wallet.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by gglave
"Nothing?"

Is there a Rouge route that isn't served by a single competitor?

Sure, there might be routes with no nonstop competitors, but I can't think of a single route where there aren't many other options.

If you're not happy about Rouge speak with your wallet.
Apologies. Its Rouge or another airline/routing.

I still don't get why people can't understand that if routes were profitable on mainline, there would be no need to rouge them.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 8:40 am

I still don't get why people can't understand that if routes were profitable on mainline, there would be no need to rouge them.
To increase the profit margin, maybe? Rouge has lower costs than mainline - why offer a more costly product unless the competition requires it? Right now it doesn't look like it does: so much additional capacity. So little impact on yields. In such cases, why wouldn't you Rouge (labor contracts notwithstanding)?

I wonder if the only thing stopping AC from going all-Rouge are the labor contracts (no real J on Rouge and all that)
Old Aug 17, 2014, 8:46 am

Anybody, including me, who is capable of making a reservation and buying the ticket understands that....it doesn't mean we can't or shouldn't voice our objections,dislikes and desires concerning Rouge or Air Canada mainline.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by Genetk44
Anybody, including me, who is capable of making a reservation and buying the ticket understands that....it doesn't mean we can't or shouldn't voice our objections,dislikes and desires concerning Rouge or Air Canada mainline.
I'm not saying people cannot express their displeasure, or voice their objections. Please do. Say the service in not to your satisfaction. Say the colour of the overhead bins is awful. Say whatever you like about the product.

The argument I don't get is: "Its not cheaper and I'm getting less." If it was profitable in the first place, there would be no Rouge.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by yulred
To increase the profit margin, maybe? Rouge has lower costs than mainline - why offer a more costly product unless the competition requires it? Right now it doesn't look like it does: so much additional capacity. So little impact on yields. In such cases, why wouldn't you Rouge (labor contracts notwithstanding)?

I wonder if the only thing stopping AC from going all-Rouge are the labor contracts (no real J on Rouge and all that)
The only thing keeping AC from going all Rouge is those paying Latitude Y and paid J. As long as there are enough of those, then they will remain.

I'll be the first to admit when using ACV that a $200-$300 upgrade for J was a no brainer and I partook in it as often as I could. I'm not going to be a hypocrite now and lament that its gone, when I know I was getting a ridiculously great deal in the past.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 11:13 am

Programs: AC, A3*G AB-G

Because it is not true. The criteria for routes going Rouge is that they were not making "enough" profit, not necessarily that they were losing money.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 11:24 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Genetk44
...it doesn't mean we can't or shouldn't voice our objections,dislikes and desires concerning Rouge or Air Canada mainline.
Well sure, but as others have said over and over again in this thread, you need to voice your objections and take your business to a competing carrier.

Otherwise it's just noise - AC is still getting your money, so what do they care?

I have refused to fly the routes out of YVR that have been Rouged. I fly the competition instead. Drop in the ocean, but I've done my part to vote with my (company's) wallet.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 12:09 pm

The only thing keeping AC from going all Rouge is those paying Latitude Y and paid J. As long as there are enough of those, then they will remain.
Why would a person buying a Lat Y fare avoid Rouge in particular?
Old Aug 17, 2014, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by yulred
Why would a person buying a Lat Y fare avoid Rouge in particular?
Sorry if I was not clear. What I mean is that on routes with a lot full fare Y and paid J, it would be counter intuitive for AC to make the route Rouge.

They are the only carrier in Canada offering a real J, lounges, access to a worldwide network, etc.

The routes that are rouge are routes with lower average fares and routes that face their main competition from carriers that do not offer those services (J, lounge, network, etc).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.