Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

Flame-Free Questions on A3 - ask your newbie (and not so newbie) questions here

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 23, 2015, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer
With the evolution of the Miles&Bonus program, there are a number of threads on this forum that contain outdated information, plus a further set that - whilst describing the new program - contain conflicting information that has only been crystallised as we all discover how certain aspects of the program either work or are interpreted.

It is perhaps therefore unsurprising that many new members find searching through this myriad of threads a little daunting, and consequently they post a question in one of the FAQ threads.

This tends to irk those who've been around for a while who expect the new posters to at least do some basic searching before posting a question that has probably been asked many times before. This also causes the forums to become very congested and less easy to read through with the same question being asked and answered many times.

I am therefore creating a thread, which will be stickied, for anyone to ask any question they like about the M&B program where they are unsure or it's not obvious where they should be posting it.

There is no such thing in this thread as a stupid question, no issue with asking a repeat question, and any answers should be 100% flame-free. I will take a dim view of anyone that abuses a member or provides a less than helpful answer (such as 'do a search') to any question asked in here, because this is being created to benefit all of us so the other threads flow more cleanly. Thank you for your co-operation on this.

It might be that I move questions to more appropriate threads so they receive an answer more quickly, but if I do so I will always add a note to indicate where they originated, and ask that the flame-free answer principle be respected.

NWIFlyer
Aegean M&B
Print Wikipost

Flame-Free Questions on A3 - ask your newbie (and not so newbie) questions here

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2017, 9:01 pm

OA is not a member of *A! In other words, you'll get neither miles nor any benefits from being *G with any FF program with the exception of M+B.

Since about one year most A3 domestic flights are OA flights code-shared with A3. You do fly in a A3 plane but this is virtual reality (or fake news to be politically up to date) as, other than the FA's announcement that OA welcomes you on board, you would not get a single hint that OA is involved in the operation.

As for the number dialled, it is indicated in their site that this is "FROM A LAND LINE WITHIN GREECE". If you call from abroad, you'd have to call +30 210 3550500, though it would not help you with your present problem.

Last edited by KLouis; Mar 22, 2017 at 9:13 pm
Old Mar 23, 2017, 1:04 am

Programs: A3 *G
Originally Posted by BillShepp
Hi, All,

My extended family will be taking a summer trip to Greece. Many of us have *G via United Mileage Plus, but in the Olympic booking interface I only saw an option to add a Miles & Bonus number. Couple of questions:
  1. How can I add our MP numbers?
  2. Will our Gold status qualify us for a free bag?
  3. We're flying from JTR -> ATH, then connecting on LH to SJC via FRA. Is there any way (or benefit) to have the LH and A3 reservations linked?

I tried calling the the 801 801 0101 24/7 reservations number and it rang for about a minute, then disconnected.

Thanks!

- Bill
EDIT: sorry, I missed the above post as it was on the next page, so sorry for the repetition.

You won't get *G benefits on the Olympic flights as Olympic aren't part of *A - and that's why it won't let you enter anything other than a M&B number. Your flight will almost certainly be operated by an Aegean aircraft anyway but don't be fooled by that.

You CAN in theory book one ticket JTR-FRA-SJC but it sounds to me like you've already booked the LH part so, no, you won't be able to link them. The only benefit would be protection if you were to miss the connection in ATH - you still wouldn't get the free bag on the flight from JTR (booking a through ticket with Lufthansa would force the JTR-ATH into the "Flex" class so you'd get a bag but would be paying for it), and there's no lounge at JTR anyway.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by Knobbgb
... sorry, I missed the above post as it was on the next page, so sorry for the repetition...
No problem, Επανάληψις, μήτηρ πάσης μαθήσεως!
Old Mar 23, 2017, 10:55 am

Location: Los Altos, CA -- UA 1P / Priority Club Platinum Ambassador / Hyatt GP Platinum / Avis Presidents Club
Thanks to you both for the depressing information! It would seem that by some mathematical theorem I've forgotten the details of that if Aegean is part of *A and Olympic is part of Aegean then Olympic would be part of *A. I guess rules of logic no longer apply, at least not while the current US president is in office...

The "good news" in all this is I had originally intended to fly Turkish Air ATH -> IST -> SFO, but now that would have to be done without tablet or laptop, which would be inconvenient at best.

- Bill
Old Mar 23, 2017, 12:19 pm
Community Director
Original Poster

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by BillShepp
Thanks to you both for the depressing information! It would seem that by some mathematical theorem I've forgotten the details of that if Aegean is part of *A and Olympic is part of Aegean then Olympic would be part of *A. I guess rules of logic no longer apply, at least not while the current US president is in office...

The "good news" in all this is I had originally intended to fly Turkish Air ATH -> IST -> SFO, but now that would have to be done without tablet or laptop, which would be inconvenient at best.

- Bill
Don't worry, you'll be pleased to know you haven't missed any theorems and the earth is still turning! Aegean and Olympic are part of the same group, but are separate companies with individual operating licences. It's no different in practice to BA and Vueling or Aer Lingus within IAG, Eurowings and Lufthansa within the LH group, or the low cost subsidiaries of Thai and Singapore - none of those earn or attract benefits outside their own FFP.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 8:47 am

Sorry, this isn't M&B or strictly A3 related but I thought I might get away with asking it here anyway! At ATH, is it and if so how easy is it, to move between the A&B areas of the main terminal?

I have a flight coming up and I don't have access to the A3 lounge by status or ticket but I can use 1 of 4 third party lounges via my AMEX Lounge Pass Card. I arrive very early from LHR and the only lounge that is open (according to the Lounge Pass Page) is in the A area, but I understand that my A3 connection to Corfu will depart from the B area.

I don't have bags to collect and re-check, if that makes a difference, and should have my boarding pass for my onward flight by the time I arrive in ATH.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 10:27 am

Programs: A3 *G
Originally Posted by Sharratt4
Sorry, this isn't M&B or strictly A3 related but I thought I might get away with asking it here anyway! At ATH, is it and if so how easy is it, to move between the A&B areas of the main terminal?

I have a flight coming up and I don't have access to the A3 lounge by status or ticket but I can use 1 of 4 third party lounges via my AMEX Lounge Pass Card. I arrive very early from LHR and the only lounge that is open (according to the Lounge Pass Page) is in the A area, but I understand that my A3 connection to Corfu will depart from the B area.

I don't have bags to collect and re-check, if that makes a difference, and should have my boarding pass for my onward flight by the time I arrive in ATH.
You won't be able to do that, unfortunately. It's easy to get in the B area if you're departing from A, but not the other way around because you'd have to go through passport control, effectively leaving Greece. They won't let you through there without a valid boarding card.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by Knobbgb
You won't be able to do that, unfortunately. It's easy to get in the B area if you're departing from A, but not the other way around because you'd have to go through passport control, effectively leaving Greece. They won't let you through there without a valid boarding card.
Ah, never mind. I wasn't sure if as I would be arriving at an A gate (from LHR) whether I could transit to A side departures without having to leave, then an hour before my flight 'land' myself and make my way to the B side. Nevermind.

Thanks for letting me know!
Old Mar 26, 2017, 2:52 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/26887181-post777.html

Regarding my post earlier on this thread (linked above), all surplus miles after reaching the 24,000 qualification miles for Gold status were actually carried forward to my next status year. Although others here suggested this would not happen, it's a pleasant surprise. Should be a doddle now to maintain status as I've currently got future bookings that will earn about 14,000 miles (including the 4 Aegean flights).

Another pleasant surprise was to be woken up by my iPhone vibrating at 2 a.m. as the status and digital membership card were updated on the Passbook app. Much nicer than to be woken up by a text with some bad news!
Attached Images  
Old Mar 26, 2017, 6:53 am

Programs: A3*G
Originally Posted by headingwest
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/26887181-post777.html

Regarding my post earlier on this thread (linked above), all surplus miles after reaching the 24,000 qualification miles for Gold status were actually carried forward to my next status year. Although others here suggested this would not happen, it's a pleasant surprise. Should be a doddle now to maintain status as I've currently got future bookings that will earn about 14,000 miles (including the 4 Aegean flights).
In the past, that tracker has counted the last 12 months activity. The numbers shown currently are thus not correct. The number will rise again when the miles added most recently are invalid (counting towards the renewal).
Unless, of course, they changed that finally.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 11:46 am

They must have changed that. When I reached Gold in December, the surplus miles carried over for requalification while this wasn't the case when I have reached silver.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 11:56 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Thanks to both of you. My miles actually carried over when I reached Silver late last year and this time too, the website still shows the miles as counting towards requalification. GREAT!
Old Mar 26, 2017, 12:29 pm
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
I flew this week two segments that give me enough miles to pass over 12000 miles. I have flown 2 A3 segments.
Before the two flights credit my M&B status was: you are missing 600 miles to reach silver.
Now that they have credited, it says : you are missing 9000 miles to reach Silver regardless the partner airline.
What does it not reflect my upgrade to Silver ? Should I give it a few days for the system to update ?
Old Mar 26, 2017, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by fransknorge
I flew this week two segments that give me enough miles to pass over 12000 miles. I have flown 2 A3 segments.
Before the two flights credit my M&B status was: you are missing 600 miles to reach silver.
Now that they have credited, it says : you are missing 9000 miles to reach Silver regardless the partner airline.
What does it not reflect my upgrade to Silver ? Should I give it a few days for the system to update ?
Mine took a day to update, after the miles credited. You'll be fine.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 3:36 am
Accor 10+ BadgeHilton 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
I was slightly impatient It updated this morning.
Now about those seat upgrade coupons, let's go and see how to use this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.