Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Wyndham | Wyndham Rewards
Reload this Page >

Celebrate with a Free Night on Us promotion 16,000 points per stay

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2012, 12:59 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by sargenet
They have told many a people they won't..including a big name blogger that just cancelled his reservations. He also had a bad experience with a supervisor there.

Of course when I asked my supervisor if they were going to do the right thing and honor this was those that booked non-refundable reservations he said "that was none of my business".

I said it was because I had other family members I told about this and I needed to let them know so they could make a decision on what they should do. He told me I had no business telling them about it in the first place!!! This guy was a class act...NOT
Oh I hear you. But "we won't do it" and "It's been X days since I stayed, you have my money and I don't have my points" are two very different positions. I'm just saying that although "class action suit" is a strong incentive sometimes, right now they haven't actually done anything that would justify one. They've done a lot of posturing and grandstanding, and clearly they are a bit confused as an organisation, but overall they have YET to officially deny us the points.

The way I see it, the door isn't closed yet and they can still exit this in a respectable way by allowing existing reservations and denying new ones.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 1:18 pm
Formerly known as cagalindo

Programs: Citi AA/HH/TYP Amex SPG/HH & Chase SP/PC
Awesome.

Last edited by caGALINDO; Oct 24, 2012 at 6:13 am
Old Oct 19, 2012, 1:19 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by BothofUs
Sadly the website now shows updated terms "only members who received the direct mail invitation are eligible for this offer"

https://www.wyndhamrewards.com/trec/...kmem:us:revere
Not sad at all - those who booked before the change in terms have certain rights.

Originally Posted by Fanfoot
So... I've emailed them to see what they're going to say. Based on that I'll dispute with credit card provider. That may or may not work, but it'll be a hassle for them at least. Then either small claims or class action lawsuit? Small claims I'd at least get my money back but happy to participate in class action just to go after them.
Forget class action. That gets those who booked virtually nothing and lawyers everything. But disputing with the credit card company along with presenting the credit card company a copy of the terms and conditions is a viable option, as is small claims court.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by fti
Forget class action. That gets those who booked virtually nothing and lawyers everything. But disputing with the credit card company along with presenting the credit card company a copy of the terms and conditions is a viable option, as is small claims court.
I think that depends on how many miles are at play. In a certain other case, it is my understanding something close to 300 million miles (!) were at stake, so most definitely a class action suit went ahead. I don't think it's anything nearly as large here - which is why I also think it won't come to that as I think Wyndham will honour bookings made before the change in T&Cs - in the long run it'll cost them less, I think.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 1:36 pm
Formerly known as cagalindo

Programs: Citi AA/HH/TYP Amex SPG/HH & Chase SP/PC
Awesome.

Last edited by caGALINDO; Oct 24, 2012 at 6:13 am
Old Oct 19, 2012, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by caGALINDO
I'm sure dispute with CC will get our money back but I'd rather get the points.
I still can't get over the fact that they have the ability to double-sell most of the rooms - they are essentially being told that many people will no-show, so it's just free money. I can't imagine they pay THAT much per air mile that they wouldn't be willing to just honour this.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 1:46 pm

Programs: AC Irrelevant, IHG Platinum, Marriot Gold, Hertz Gold, Avis First
How much money does Wyndham stand to lose, if any really?
The three stays that I was able to find yesterday come out to $180, not the cheapest i know, but this gives me 54400 Wyndham points (16,000*3 + 5500 second stay bonus + $180*5). Tranferring this into an airline program nets 21760 miles. Assuming Wyndham buys the miles at 0.01 per mile, might be less, makes it a cost to them of $217.60, loss of $37.60. This doesnt take into account that they can book the room since I now show.
Nowhere near the level of magnitude as the UA 4 mile mistake.

Just my 2cents.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by Cruban
How much money does Wyndham stand to lose, if any really?
The three stays that I was able to find yesterday come out to $180, not the cheapest i know, but this gives me 54400 Wyndham points (16,000*3 + 5500 second stay bonus + $180*5). Tranferring this into an airline program nets 21760 miles. Assuming Wyndham buys the miles at 0.01 per mile, might be less, makes it a cost to them of $217.60, loss of $37.60. This doesnt take into account that they can book the room since I now show.
Nowhere near the level of magnitude as the UA 4 mile mistake.

Just my 2cents.
That's exactly what I'm saying.

And don't forget that not EVERYONE will transfer to FF miles. Some people will use this to book Wyndham stays (assuming Wyndham stops being dorks about it), so the cost will be even lower.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 2:30 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black

I used all 50,000 points from the first promo for Wyndham stays :-)
Old Oct 19, 2012, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by sargenet
When I mentioned "flyertalk" he said "yes I know what it is" with disgust in his voice!!! He said it is a place where people basically share info to take advantage of companies and offers!!"
That's funny. Obviously, he's just one person and doesn't speak for the company, but it's pretty clear that some companies get it and some don't.

Blaming your customers for your marketing group's screw ups is silly. But there's a more fundamental issue here. Do you think when Starwood announces its Q4 promotions, it views flyertalk as a hindrance or as a benefit to get the word out?

Not to dump on Wyndham too much, since there's enough of that going on in this thread, but it sounds to me that this supervisor is giving you a pretty clear indication what Wyndham aspires to be.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 3:30 pm

Programs: HHonorsDiamond
Originally Posted by lkar

Not to dump on Wyndham too much, since there's enough of that going on in this thread, but it sounds to me that this supervisor is giving you a pretty clear indication what Wyndham aspires to be.
To be fair I did talk to a wonderful supervisor named Lindsey yesterday when all this started. She is the one that told me that they were aware of the issue and that they would be honoring the promotion for anyone that went through the link. I told her I was worried because I kept getting different stories and even read to her what was posted on Flyertalk by the Wyndham rep. She told me not to worry and that she would note my account and I would be taken care of.

The only reason I called back today was because I received a private message from the Wyndham rep here on Flyertalk. She said NO so I called back and wanted to talk to Lindsay again. It was then that I was told that she was not available but then I got sent to other supervisors (who were in the same level as Lindsay) who started in on the "this is targeted and we won't honor it".

The two supervisor's I spoke to today...first Jessica and then Brendan...had a totally different response to this versus the two managers I spoke to yesterday. It is amazing that they have great staff (Lindsay and Joan) who were great to work with yesterday...then have these other "supervisors" who are rude to their customers. Personally all I wanted to do was talk to the supervisor I spoke to yesterday but I was told she wasn't available so I got stuck dealing with less than stellar and downright rude staff.

Last night I felt that this was being handled properly and that Wyndham Reward members were being taken care of. Today I realize I must have just got lucky and that not all their "account supervisors" treat their customers well.

Maybe it isn't "any of my business" what happens to other Wyndham members. But after working 13+ years for a national company in a customer service related position, I feel all customers should be treated equally by a company. You shouldn't get great service from a few staff members and then be treated rudely by others.

When I was talking to this last supervisor I swear I was SPEECHLESS at how he spoke to me!! I wasn't being rude. I wasn't being ugly. I just wanted the correct info given to me so I could inform my family on how to proceed. Never did I expect this guy to get ugly with me and tell me I had NO RIGHT to even tell my family about this offer!!!
Old Oct 19, 2012, 3:52 pm

Programs: all
I called them today and supervisors response was that no miles and prepaid stay is my problem. They wont give refund. Well..never gonna do business with Wyndham again. Will just dispute the charge with Amex.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by pantanal
I called them today and supervisors response was that no miles and prepaid stay is my problem. They wont give refund. Well..never gonna do business with Wyndham again. Will just dispute the charge with Amex.
Has your stay already passed? Did you try to talk to the hotel directly?
Isn't it amazing that someone else was told the same thing, then when escalated to a manager they got it posted?
Did you get the name of the supervisor you spoke with? I would escalate to the operations manager...although they will probably send you to that anonymous voicemail box. Seems like I wasn't the first person they did that with today!
Old Oct 19, 2012, 3:55 pm

I lucked out. I literally just got off the phone with them. They cancelled my nonrefundable reservation and said I won't be charged. I have my confirmation email with cancellation number. If they happen to still charge me then I will dispute with my cc company.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 4:03 pm

Feel free to post on their Facebook page....

Wyndham Rewards has a Facebook page with 56,000 followers....

I did not hesitate to share my thoughts there...

along with all the other people posting about cockroaches in rooms and the like!!!! seems like they could care less because they don't remove those posts! even the pictures of the roaches!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.