Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

The Periodic Random Fashion Report - NYC

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Periodic Random Fashion Report - NYC

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2016, 2:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by edcaya
From a cursory observation on today's Metro commute: lots of sleeveless dresses and sandals galore. The more adventurous ladies (like yours truly, who's in Pivotte's desk-to-date dress) are wearing pieces with cutouts.
Sleeveless dresses and sandals were definitely the way to go. I alternated those with a skort and sleeveless blouse. Well, except for the day I spent from 7 am to 6 pm working in my over-airconditioned hotel room. After being chilled all day, I ventured out in jeans. Walking 4 miles around the Mall in jeans in 90F and 60% humidity was not at all pleasant.

Originally Posted by Buster
Headed to NY next week...what's everyone wearing these days? The weather looks like it's actually going to be fairly nice.
Not actually in NYC, but not too far. "Nice" is a relative term for the weather around here. Forecast for next week is in the 80's but it may be unpleasantly humid. I'd opt for sleeveless with a light sweater/jacket unless you need to be dressier for work. Either way, loose is more comfortable than clingy. Personally I don't wear sandals in NYC because of the grossness factor on too many sidewalks, but I see them.
Old Sep 14, 2016, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by CDTraveler
Sleeveless dresses and sandals were definitely the way to go. I alternated those with a skort and sleeveless blouse. Well, except for the day I spent from 7 am to 6 pm working in my over-airconditioned hotel room. After being chilled all day, I ventured out in jeans. Walking 4 miles around the Mall in jeans in 90F and 60% humidity was not at all pleasant.

Not actually in NYC, but not too far. "Nice" is a relative term for the weather around here. Forecast for next week is in the 80's but it may be unpleasantly humid. I'd opt for sleeveless with a light sweater/jacket unless you need to be dressier for work. Either way, loose is more comfortable than clingy. Personally I don't wear sandals in NYC because of the grossness factor on too many sidewalks, but I see them.
Thanks - I am having the same shoe dilemma. Sandals would theoretically be nicer, but it seems very icky. Of course, I'm having flashbacks to my last DC trip where I wore ballet flats and my feet were so, so hot and sweaty thanks to the heat & humidity.
Old Sep 14, 2016, 6:10 pm
Original Poster

Thanks - I am having the same shoe dilemma. Sandals would theoretically be nicer, but it seems very icky. Of course, I'm having flashbacks to my last DC trip where I wore ballet flats and my feet were so, so hot and sweaty thanks to the heat & humidity.
Mesh or mesh/leather combo shoes now come in nicer styles than just tennies and breath better than all leather. I have a pair of Ahnus that are both good for walking and don't get as hot as all leather.

There are machine washable shoes. I know my Ahnu flats are washable, and some casual Propet Styles also can go in the washing machine. (check Zappos for some of the styles)

So while you might not wash the shoes during a trip, being able to thoroughly freshen them between trips I like - can start each trip with non-stinky shoes.
Old Sep 18, 2016, 6:12 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, &c.
Updating from New York: news of the skinny jean's death have been greatly exaggerated.

And how are people managing to walk in mules? (So many mules.) I couldn't in the 90s, don't want to try now.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 11:05 am

Programs: AA, UA
Originally Posted by turnleftbrighteyes
Updating from New York: news of the skinny jean's death have been greatly exaggerated.

And how are people managing to walk in mules? (So many mules.) I couldn't in the 90s, don't want to try now.
I am of the opinion skinny jeans don't die because every other type of pants style has been done and they have nothing original to invent. That and male designers have little clue on what is flattering to a woman.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 11:40 am

I walk to work in a mix of Tods and Lanvin flats (the Lanvins get resoled in Vibram), but I only do so in Smartwool Sleuth socks.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

Bummer. Some of us were just not meant to wear skinny jeans, even when we were teens!

Mules, clogs & Birkenstocks: 3 types of shoes I have never understood.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 1:12 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, &c.
One currently sees lots and lots of Birkenstocks on the streets in New York. All ages, all styles. And I will admit that I just got a pair of the shearling lined Arizonas (so yes, fluffy sandals) for when it gets colder, because Birks are the best shoes for me when I'm walking 40-50 blocks to/from work.

And editing to add, fashion people LOVE No. 6 clogs. (Those I don't get.)
Old Sep 22, 2016, 2:07 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
With my plantar fasciitis this summer, my birks are about the only shoes I can wear. Fortunately I've always liked them (currently wearing Ibiza and Gizeh) I cannot wear clogs - I fall off them!!

Last edited by Hoyaheel; Sep 24, 2016 at 2:39 am
Old Oct 30, 2016, 4:49 pm
Original Poster

Another business trip to DC next week. What with the screwy weather* lately here in the mid Atlantic, I'm wondering what's the go-to thing for business casual?

*overnights in low the 30's last week, over 80F here today between thunderstorms.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 9:18 am

Another business trip to DC next week. What with the screwy weather* lately here in the mid Atlantic, I'm wondering what's the go-to thing for business casual?
My fellow DC ladies seem woefully underprepared for the vagaries of the weather here; I see lots of bare legs (with goosebumps) in the early morning.

You should be fine in trousers and a blouse with a cardigan or jacket along with ankle boots.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 11:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by edcaya
My fellow DC ladies seem woefully underprepared for the vagaries of the weather here; I see lots of bare legs (with goosebumps) in the early morning.

You should be fine in trousers and a blouse with a cardigan or jacket along with ankle boots.
Yesterday the sweater was too much. It was almost 70ºF in Bethesda on November 6! It was interesting noting the number of ladies dressed for the calendar and not the thermometer. I was warm in a blouse and jeans, couldn't imagine wearing a puffy jacket and wooly scarf like many I saw.

Still seeking the perfect ankle boots. Why do manufacturers put zippers on ankle boots? That's the equivalent of shoes with training wheels!
Old Nov 7, 2016, 11:17 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
It was interesting noting the number of ladies dressed for the calendar and not the thermometer.!
I have struggled with that since I moved to NC in 1998! I grew up in New England where October means putting on flannel, bright leaves changing, and cool temps (and occasional ice storms ) In NC, fall clothing is something else entirely. I can survive most of the winter here without a coat if I want (I commute by car and park across the street so at most I'd have 10 minutes outdoors - a sweater is almost always plenty)

At the same time, I'm pre-conditioned to put away linen and certain colors in September. So I usually spend the next two months wearing sleeveless black cotton dresses
Old Nov 10, 2016, 10:00 am
KCZ

Still seeking the perfect ankle boots. Why do manufacturers put zippers on ankle boots? That's the equivalent of shoes with training wheels!
Because those of us with high insteps can't pull on zipperless ankle boots?
Old Nov 10, 2016, 5:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KCZ
Because those of us with high insteps
Like me?
Originally Posted by KCZ
can't pull on zipperless ankle boots?
High instep/arch, wide feet. It's a matter of finding the right style. Have been looking for non-zip boots for a couple years, but it seems nobody makes them anymore.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.