Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

The Periodic Random Fashion Report - NYC

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Periodic Random Fashion Report - NYC

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2017, 11:12 am
Original Poster

Here's a question for the group: does anybody actually wear those sweaters with holes at the shoulders? And what is the purpose of the holes?

I see those sweaters in many ads and catalogs, but I've not seen anyone actually wear one. Have you? Is there an area of the country where they are popular?
Old Dec 1, 2017, 11:39 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
I don't know that I've seen a cold shoulder sweater. I've seen cold shoulder long sleeve tops and dresses, but none heavier. I don't wear a cold shoulder anything (and in case you mean an off-the-shoulder sweater, I don't wear those at all because I need to wear a bra ;-)

I feel like I see those more on tv than in real life. I'm in NC, pretty casual work environment (academia) so it would be possible to see them around, but I don't recall any.....
CDTraveler and AStarr like this.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 3:52 pm

I see them a lot around here in LA. I don't see the point, but I think I'm also probably not quite the demographic they're targeted to (although there's a woman here at work who is fond of wearing them even though she's older than I am).
Old Dec 1, 2017, 5:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Hoyaheel
I don't know that I've seen a cold shoulder sweater. I've seen cold shoulder long sleeve tops and dresses, but none heavier. I don't wear a cold shoulder anything (and in case you mean an off-the-shoulder sweater, I don't wear those at all because I need to wear a bra ;-)

I feel like I see those more on tv than in real life. I'm in NC, pretty casual work environment (academia) so it would be possible to see them around, but I don't recall any.....
Off the shoulder is a fashion statement I can understand. Don't wear it anymore myself, but at least it makes sense. It's the heavy, chunky sweaters with a wide strap on shoulder, then a hole at the "corner" of the shoulder and long sleeves that I don't understand, and don't see anybody wear outside of a catalog. Just curious if anyone else is seeing them on the street.

Here in the mid-atlantic region, the weather is bizarre enough that nobody seems to know what to wear. Too cold for a t-shirt, too warm for a turtleneck. Too cold for a nylon jacket, too warm for a fleece jacket. I'm not in a hurry for actual sub freezing temperatures, but the daily 30F to 60F swings make picking the right fashion statement a challenge.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 5:55 am

Programs: *G, VS Silver, HH Diamond
I haven't seen them in the winter yet in England or Denmark (but I've not really been paying much attention). They were fairly popular last year in England during the autumn, spring, and summer... but not so much the actual winter clothes. So, I don't think I'd see proper sweater varieties. And since I've relocated to Denmark this year, it's all true sweaters and turtlenecks everywhere so far. Much more practical stuff.

I have a couple tops in this style for warm climates.
Old May 7, 2018, 4:46 pm
Original Poster

Once again the weather is best described as bizarre and fashion-wise it seems anything goes. Out and about last Friday - was close to 90F downtown and saw shorts and lots of very pale legs. Mine are a little too pale (and bruised at the moment due to a vicious staircase) for shorts just yet, so opted for crops and short sleeved blouse. Today it was about 50F when we left the house, and definitely jacket weather with a sharp breeze.

What we saw today fashion-wise was a mix - a few chilly folks in shorts, some jeans and parkas (it wasn't that cold!) and a lot in between, with precut holes in the clothes being a dominate fashion element, including on women over 40. One notable example: a lady with her son who appeared to be over 20 was wearing tights/yoga pants with 5 holes in them down the side of each leg, and in a number of places the tights had run. The sweaters and tops with holes in the shoulders have returned.

Question for those in the know about Nashville: I'll be there for a professional conference in July. I expect the Sheraton will have A/C, but what's the weather likely to be outdoors? Muggy? All natural fiber weather? Will be doing some sightseeing in Dayton en route - again, should I plan for hot and humid?

Last edited by CDTraveler; May 7, 2018 at 8:56 pm
Old May 7, 2018, 6:31 pm

Programs: United Lifetime Gold;SPG Gold (occasional platinum);SW;etc.
I can't help with Dayton but Nashville will likely be very warm and humid. When I visit in the summer I wear linen along with dresses and skirts with some movement to them. I put most of my pants away b/c they make me feel hot and sticky.

Of course, going into the a/c from the heat outdoors sometimes makes me feel chilled so I like a linen long sleeve shirt or light blouse or wrap.
Old May 12, 2018, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Oh, good lord, I can't stand those cold-shoulder tops. Ick. Was out and about on Thursday, running errands. It was a lovely spring day -- gorgeous blue sky, warm temperatures (70s). I noticed the same schizophrenic fashion choices all around me:

A young woman (maybe 30?) wearing the carefully torn jeans with black winter parka and black booties. I was confused. Another one wore her parka open, revealing a summer tank top, striped, blue and white, and what to my eyes looked like vintage 80s acid washed jeans, the acid distressing them in the manner of late 80s fashion. All she was missing was the big hair. Yikes!

Me? Dark blue straight-leg jeans, rose cashmere (very thin) sweater, silk scarf, classic trench.
Old May 15, 2018, 8:18 am

Any fashion tips for San Francisco in the summer? My 20-something son is moving there for a job and I will be visiting in July and August. I am southern (temps in New Orleans in July don't dip below 85F) so tend to feel it when there is a chill in the air and I have no idea what to expect other than fog. Rain? Mist? Wind? How does one look presentable for travel and touring and still be comfortable and dressed for the weather?
Old May 15, 2018, 10:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by travelmom4
Any fashion tips for San Francisco in the summer? My 20-something son is moving there for a job and I will be visiting in July and August. I am southern (temps in New Orleans in July don't dip below 85F) so tend to feel it when there is a chill in the air and I have no idea what to expect other than fog. Rain? Mist? Wind? How does one look presentable for travel and touring and still be comfortable and dressed for the weather?
Rain, highly unlikely.

Fog, very likely.

Wind, maybe, especially morning and evening, but probably more breeze than gusts.

It's common for there to be a 30º F shift between daytime peak and nighttime low, so sweaters or light jackets are crucial to being comfortable. While sleeveless is socially acceptable it may be a bit cool for that, and I'd opt for light slacks over shorts. When I moved west coast to east coast I was horrified to find that it doesn't cool off here at night and start the heat again the next day. My midwestern relatives were stunned to discover how cold San Francisco can be on a summer day. I remember taking one of them to see the Golden Gate bridge in August - she didn't believe me when I told her to bring a jacket and somewhere I have a picture of her huddled up shivering in shorts and a t-shirt. It was socked in with fog and very cool when we got there, as we walked across the fog suddenly vanished and the temperature jumped 15 degrees.

Also keep in mind the Bay Area is famous for microclimates: There can be a 40º F difference between San Francisco, cool and foggy, and San Jose, sunny and clear, on a summer day, and the Napa/Sonoma area even warmer. Extreme heat in San Francisco is rare, and more common in September or October than August.
Old May 15, 2018, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by CDTraveler
Rain, highly unlikely.

Fog, very likely.

Wind, maybe, especially morning and evening, but probably more breeze than gusts.

It's common for there to be a 30º F shift between daytime peak and nighttime low, so sweaters or light jackets are crucial to being comfortable. While sleeveless is socially acceptable it may be a bit cool for that, and I'd opt for light slacks over shorts. When I moved west coast to east coast I was horrified to find that it doesn't cool off here at night and start the heat again the next day. My midwestern relatives were stunned to discover how cold San Francisco can be on a summer day. I remember taking one of them to see the Golden Gate bridge in August - she didn't believe me when I told her to bring a jacket and somewhere I have a picture of her huddled up shivering in shorts and a t-shirt. It was socked in with fog and very cool when we got there, as we walked across the fog suddenly vanished and the temperature jumped 15 degrees.

Also keep in mind the Bay Area is famous for microclimates: There can be a 40º F difference between San Francisco, cool and foggy, and San Jose, sunny and clear, on a summer day, and the Napa/Sonoma area even warmer. Extreme heat in San Francisco is rare, and more common in September or October than August.
Thank you for the advice, very helpful!
Old Jul 1, 2018, 7:08 pm
Original Poster

Most of America is roasting. What are you wearing?

At home it's disreputable shorts and tank tops - neither my laptop nor my vegetable garden care.

But I'm off to DC in a couple days, and need to look presentable. Gauzy skirts and crisp cotton shirts sound about right?
Hoyaheel likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by CDTraveler
Most of America is roasting. What are you wearing?

At home it's disreputable shorts and tank tops - neither my laptop nor my vegetable garden care.

But I'm off to DC in a couple days, and need to look presentable. Gauzy skirts and crisp cotton shirts sound about right?
That'll work. I have been going with A-line dresses (in silk or cotton), which I reserve for this kind of weather. I keep a cardigan on hand, because some stores, movie theaters, restaurants are air conditioned at 65 degrees (or so its seems). My footwear all summer long during the day is espadrilles. Comfy, cool, and oh so forgiving.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 11:47 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Knit sleeveless dresses for work, with a cardigan. Silver gizeh birkenstocks if I can. Today I have a meeting so "nicer" black patent leather Softspots wedges.

Pretty much as little as possible at home.

[I work in academia in NC]

And here's my lazy/TMI - I take an epsom salts bath on Sunday night. So relaxing after a weekend gardening and being lazy. I shave. I wear a short dress Monday, possibly Tuesday. Long dress Wednesday and pants (linen now) on Thursday. And Friday I work from home. I'm really lazy when it comes to shaving this year. I know a lot of women shave every day. I can barely make it twice a week ;-) [there are weeks I'll shave Thursday morning, then wear shorts for a pedicure on Friday too, so....]
Old Jul 2, 2018, 2:12 pm

My summer uniform revolves around dresses and skirts that move in the heat. My jeans and pants-except for the linens-stay in the closet. Flat sandals or wedges when I need to be a bit more dressed.

I second the motion on a light cardigan for those overzealous A/C buildings. Something about going from the heat outside into that makes me especially chilled.

Hoyaheel, I dislike shaving so much that yesterday at brunch I realized that I had only shaved one leg-not my best look!
Hoyaheel likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.