Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

The Periodic Random Fashion Report - NYC

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2015, 9:54 pm
Original Poster

First, full disclosure: I really don't give a hoot about the latest fashion in women's clothes. But I am a people watcher and it interests me to observe trends in society, and sometimes those trends are in clothing. Also I recently transitioned from a lifestyle where what I wore mattered not at all to one in the entertainment industry where I need to convey a certain image so I am paying more attention to current fashions. I've noticed that what you see in the magazines is rarely what you see on the streets.

Here's what I observed on a recent trip to NYC:
  • horizontal stripes are HUGE this year. saw them on dresses, t-shirts (including mine), shirts/blouses, and sweaters
  • ankle boots are the go-to footwear for fall
  • a lot less black clothing than in recent years, about 70% less
  • grey is very trendy on almost piece of apparel
  • loose scarfs continue to be very popular, especially worn in a circle around the neck
  • hemlines remain above the knee
  • nylons are history, bare legs are in (even on a chilly day)
  • shirt tails are rarely tucked in, even under a shorter sweater (which looks horrible IMO)
  • orange is in, pink is out

Where are you and what are women wearing? Perhaps we can start a discussion that would be of value to those who worry about what to wear on the road. Or at least amuse them...
Old Oct 30, 2015, 3:52 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, &c.
As a women who lives in New York, I can concur with some of your observations. I'm wearing stripes right now (yes, Breton stripes are quite having a moment. Some credit/blame Kate Middleton.) I've yet to wear tights or hosiery yet, even on chilly days. I just bought a new pair of Chelsea boots. I wear as much black as ever, but then again, I'm in the arts (and my favorite designer is Rick Owens, so I'm not exactly the most representative example.)

I'd enjoy a thread with on-the-street fashion reports. I'm headed to Italy (the Villa d'Este) soon and I'm wondering if my current (New York) style is dressy enough.
Old Oct 31, 2015, 5:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
I live in Paris, and elegance is always in. Always. Elegance without any fuss.

This year, I have noticed 60s style and color are in, but am not sure if it will go on the Parisian streets, maybe Russian/Chinese, but not here.

Though I almost bought a Giambattista Valli pink coat, (they are looking for my size)
Old Nov 2, 2015, 8:14 pm
KCZ

Originally Posted by Mlle_Mustard
I'd enjoy a thread with on-the-street fashion reports. I'm headed to Italy (the Villa d'Este) soon and I'm wondering if my current (New York) style is dressy enough.
This made me laugh. I live in LLBean territory, and I'm going to London in 2 weeks. Other than recently purchased ankle boots, I'm going to be horribly out of place.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
I live in NYC. I am seeing more gray this fall. I think today was the first day I saw women wearing tights -- opaque black tights, for the most part.

Speaking of tights, I did note that Wolford has quite a lot of new styles out in their merino range. I did break out of my all black all the time habit and bought a pair of gray merino tights. I know, living on the wild side, I am.

Lots of ankle boots (which look terrible on me -- I can only wear them with jeans or slacks).

I saw extremely skinny jeans in Italy just this past month, but they were worn by teens and young women. Straight-legged jeans were the norm among women who were 30 and over, I would say. Certainly the look is still dark wash, conservative, versatile; something more like a trouser than the distressed, lighter wash jean.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 10:37 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, &c.
Originally Posted by KCZ
This made me laugh. I live in LLBean territory, and I'm going to London in 2 weeks. Other than recently purchased ankle boots, I'm going to be horribly out of place.
The Bean boots are still very cool in New York-- you'll be at the height of fashion.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 11:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mlle_Mustard
As a women who lives in New York, I can concur with some of your observations. I'm wearing stripes right now (yes, Breton stripes are quite having a moment. Some credit/blame Kate Middleton.) I've yet to wear tights or hosiery yet, even on chilly days. I just bought a new pair of Chelsea boots. I wear as much black as ever, but then again, I'm in the arts (and my favorite designer is Rick Owens, so I'm not exactly the most representative example.)
I've been going to NYC for film makers events recently, and seen much less black than expected. More grey w/ jewel tone accents at the formal gig, and a lot of jeans in various shades at the film festival.

My last trip up was one of the those very cold days we had ~2 weeks ago. Puffy jackets are IN (but you won't see one on me!).
Old Nov 4, 2015, 1:08 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
I like observing street style also. I was noticing in Paris that the bare legs and color in New York and San Francisco are out of place there. In Paris recently I noticed black, straight legs often stopping just at the ankle (similar for men). It was black hosiery (no bare legs and some black patterned hosiery), and as noted above elegance always. No infinity scarves. They were doubled and the ends brought through the loop.

I get frustrated with my own city. In San Francisco we seem to pride ourselves on grunge. Wellies are popular. Bare legs, skinny jeans. Some color. Hair with bright streaks of color.
Old Nov 5, 2015, 7:57 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
KCZ - you'll have to tell me what you see in London - we're visiting in January!

Our last trip to NYC was July, so not much black. And lots of skin. I much prefer leisure travel in the cold & wet months, thank you

(I'm a preppy dresser, always have been - I'm not ever going to be "street stylish" - but I don't want to look horribly out of place either ;-)
Old Nov 5, 2015, 3:14 pm
KCZ

Originally Posted by Hoyaheel
KCZ - you'll have to tell me what you see in London - we're visiting in January!

Our last trip to NYC was July, so not much black. And lots of skin. I much prefer leisure travel in the cold & wet months, thank you

(I'm a preppy dresser, always have been - I'm not ever going to be "street stylish" - but I don't want to look horribly out of place either ;-)
This looks like anything goes, particularly as regards jeans. And it makes me want to take faux furs, but I can't imagine anything more space-hungry to pack. http://www.thefashionspot.com/style-...2015/#/slide/1
Old Nov 5, 2015, 6:50 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
I almost never travel with jeans (I rarely wear them at home, either). Currently I'm planning on 3 prs black pants (skinny, skinny cord, and a trouser) and a knee length black merino dress. Walking shoes and knee high leather boots.

And while I'm not averse to a little animal print (esp an accessory like a scarf or shoes) I'm not into fur, faux or otherwise. I'll just have to give that trend a pass
Old Nov 15, 2015, 8:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by KCZ
This looks like anything goes, particularly as regards jeans. And it makes me want to take faux furs, but I can't imagine anything more space-hungry to pack. http://www.thefashionspot.com/style-...2015/#/slide/1
When it's winter, the winter coat or furs (faux or real) get worn on the plane to avoid having to take up space in the luggage.

Cheers. Sharon
Old Nov 22, 2015, 8:45 pm

Programs: I've lost count
Weighing in from ANC. While most of the "Alaska" TV shows are nothing like real life here, the clothing is. Jeans, leggings, layers, and sturdy footwear are staples. When skirts are worn, it's either with bare legs (summer) or thick tights/leggings (the rest of the year). Fashionable footwear has a place, but in the winter it's often worn after arriving at a destination. Leather-soled shoes are a no-go for walking outdoors on snow and ice. Wool peacoats were in for the last 3-4 winters, but it looks like they're being swapped out this year in favor of light 3/4 length puffer coats. Black is always in.

I visited Europe in September and didn't feel out of place wearing a lot of black in London. I didn't see much black or grey in Rome, Venice, or Barcelona though. Airy and sleeveless tops with capris and flat sandals ruled in Venice. Rome and Barcelona both had a lot of light colors, tanks/sleeveless tops, shorts, skirts above the knee, summer dresses, bare skin, and sandals (wedge in Rome and flat in Barcelona).
Old Nov 26, 2015, 11:24 am
KCZ

The report from London:

I'm seeing a lot of black. Not much grey. Skinny or narrow straight leg jeans in dark blue or black. Sweaters, tunics, or short dresses with black tights. Big scarves. Still a lot of knee high boots, but there are even more ankle boots, with heels of all heights. The younger set are wearing very high lace-up sneakers, sometimes with platform or stilletto heels. Knee-length classic wool coats are definitely in, in all colors. There are still some puffer coats but not that many, and they are mostly belted or have smooth outer shells. The store windows are loaded with faux furs, and I've seen some on the street...all kinds of faux fur clothing, not just coats. I saw an amazing woman in a belted faux fur dress. Overall, I would say things are pretty much what you'd expect in any major (northern) US city in late November.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 12:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KCZ
The report from London: Big scarves.
Interesting. What kind of scarves? Knit, woven, fuzzy?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.