Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

The Periodic Random Fashion Report - NYC

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Periodic Random Fashion Report - NYC

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2021, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
The cruise we have planned for April 2023 is supposed to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary (in January 2023) as well as my birthday (in May 2023). Fingers crossed that travel and cruising is back to some sort of new normal by then, but who knows, really?
CDTraveler and Hoyaheel like this.
Old Apr 14, 2021, 8:57 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
2000 was a big year, eh? We also weren't able to do a 20th anniversary trip!

My 50th is 2023 - my goal has always been renting a big place somewhere in England and hoping lots of my friends can join us. We'll see. I'm a year younger than my college roommates who are all planning 50th birthdays in 21 and 22, so.....
ysolde likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2021, 6:30 pm
Original Poster

Shoes on eBay - who knew?

I have a pair of flats that I love; they have many miles on them and likely will have many more. They are 2 tone blue, and great with a large amount of what I wear. However this summer I'm adding more tans and green, and I just can not bring myself to wear blue shoes with green pants (blame my mother, some color rules are too deeply ingrained to ever be broken !). I googled the brand of my favorite flats, which has since been bought and renamed, and the style name just for the heck of it. First thing that came up was the exact shoe in tan on eBay, available in 8 different sizes. It was listed as second quality, but I can't find anything wrong with them and they fit perfectly.

Apparently the seller buys up close-outs and discontinued shoe styles and sells them on eBay. I wouldn't buy a brand I was unfamiliar with as there are no returns, but for a brand where you know your size, eBay might be a good resource.

And this shoes are perfect for an actual conference in person in NYC next month! It's just going to be a 36 hour trip, but hey, it's going somewhere!
gretchendz and rsqrott like this.
Old May 15, 2022, 7:56 am
Original Poster

2022 - what's hot where you are?

Bad news, ladies of the northeast.

Peasant blouses, cut-off denim shorts and crop tops are back.

Some of my casual summer things need replacing after 2 summers of all casual, so I hit the mall and local shops this past week. It was like the early 70's all over again, peasant blouses galore, denim shorts/hot pants (for those old enough to know what that term means ) and, overall shorts - talk about a bad flashback! Also crop tops of the sort that barely come below the bra, but then again, when I wore those in the past, I didn't wear a bra. (TMI? )

Local shopping made me wish I had shopped more on a recent trip to a land where flowing skirts, linen blouses and soft sweaters seem to be what's in for Summer 2022.

What are you seeing in your local area?
Hoyaheel likes this.

Last edited by CDTraveler; May 15, 2022 at 8:21 pm
Old May 15, 2022, 3:54 pm

Overalls. Harumph. Are they also bringing back bellbottom or largely flared jeans? I waited that trend out last time for a couple years and thanked my hoarding tendencies to buy two pairs of jeans when I find ones I liked so one could be a backup. These last few years jeans were also a little iffy, pre-covid with high waist (my job is mostly sitting in front of a computer & high waist denim = post-meal unhappiness) and not wanting to go jeans shopping in person.

Sounds like a reason to go back to that land or international shipping.
Old May 15, 2022, 4:11 pm

I noticed shorts rompers are back in too. Kicking it back to 1993. 😂

I tend to stick with linen and cotton for the summer. It’s projected to be 96 degrees F on Friday where I live 🥴😳
Old May 15, 2022, 8:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by freecia
Overalls. Harumph. Are they also bringing back bellbottom or largely flared jeans?
Found what I thought was a nice pair of linen slacks - until I looked at the bottoms and realized they were far wider at the ankle than the waist.

I waited that trend out last time for a couple years and thanked my hoarding tendencies to buy two pairs of jeans when I find ones I liked so one could be a backup. These last few years jeans were also a little iffy, pre-covid with high waist (my job is mostly sitting in front of a computer & high waist denim = post-meal unhappiness) and not wanting to go jeans shopping in person.
There are millions of different styles of jeans, and yet 95% are uncomfortable, leaving one to wonder about conspiracies in the fashion industry . There's a trade show on denim coming up that I might attend just for the purpose of asking manufacturers why they can't make comfortable jeans.

Sounds like a reason to go back to that land or international shipping.
I wish!
Hoyaheel likes this.
Old May 16, 2022, 7:13 am

Originally Posted by CDTraveler
Bad news, ladies of the northeast.

Peasant blouses, cut-off denim shorts and crop tops are back.
Guess I won't be riding that cutting edge of fashion this year. As soon as I read this it brought flash backs of high school. Biballs, for heaven's sake!
I have been selling some of my old clothing on Poshmark and I have reached the point in my life where clothing that I am the original owner of is considered vintage. sigh.

I am heading back into the office one day this week (for the first time since pre covid) and will report back on what the streets of NYC are teeming with.

As far as jeans I have heard good things about Madewell but haven't tried them for myself. My body type is not jean friendly (or maybe it's the other way around).
Old May 16, 2022, 1:10 pm

I'm still working from home every day, have only flown twice since the pandemic started, and did a couple short road trips. So no clue what others are wearing. I did see more of the 90s resurgence around (the cropped, the flared). I bought a linen dress at Lands End ;-) And a couple of very adorable & sporty fleece quarter-zip neck dresses. They look like a pullover fleece jacket on top but go to the knee. I hope it's cool enough somewhere for me to wear them (I have decades old lovely cashmere & wool sweaters, but living in NC combined with perimenopause means I haven't worn anything warm in quite some time.....) I also don't wear jeans often, though I have a couple pairs that are ok enough. Eileen Fisher RENEW for my most recent pair that I like, and a few years old Lands End midrise slim jean still looks good (dark rinse - still dark as I don't wear jeans often ;-)
Old May 16, 2022, 3:31 pm

I just bought two linen lands end dresses on Friday. They shipped today, fingers crossed. I feel like I’m melting!
Hoyaheel likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 9:56 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K (aka OWS)
Originally Posted by rsqrott

As far as jeans I have heard good things about Madewell but haven't tried them for myself. My body type is not jean friendly (or maybe it's the other way around).
Madewell are not my favorite. Their denim is thick and doesn't pack well, plus is not very comfortable. I'm at the age where I like a little stretch! Current favorite brand is Frame, with thin denim fabric that has a little lyocell or stretch woven in. Folds down nice and thin, doesn't constrict after overindulging, and nice options for styles.

Headed for Indonesia tomorrow - have packed with Hoyaheel's 4 x 4 capsule idea (colors of white, khaki, navy, a bit of dark orange) - mostly linen/tencel or silk/tencel fabrics. Can't wait to see how the capsule works out!
gretchendz and Hoyaheel like this.
Old Jun 21, 2022, 12:50 pm

Your color palette sounds lovely! Can't wait to hear how the capsule planning worked for you - have a great trip!
Old Sep 7, 2022, 8:03 pm
Original Poster

So, when's the last time you wore earrings?

Recently I realized that it had been 12 months since I wore earrings - August 2021, I wore earrings to a work event, and managed to lose one, probably when taking off my mask to eat. After that, I stopped putting in earrings for fear of losing more of them.

Necklaces - not many go well with a t-shirt and shorts, my wardrobe of choice since May

Rings/bracelets - definitely pre-pandemic.

Ironic, seeing as I'm in the process of starting a small business with the jewelry I make.

p.s. at least I was able to replace the earring I lost last year, I made a duplicate.
Hoyaheel likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2022, 5:50 am

Earrings are one thing I have worn when I've left the house! Smaller studs don't seem to give me a problem with masks, or longer earrings that have rubber backs on the wire to keep them in my ears. Rarely wear the engagement ring, do sometimes remember the wedding ring ;-) No necklaces (I only wear long ones - and I love - but just haven't seemed right) or bracelets - I even take my watch off after a couple hours because I don't like it.

I went to my office yesterday for an actual work day with meetings. I've been to my office only a couple times since March 2020. It was so weird. But I did decide to wear my comfy bra, not a "real" bra. And it was fine! I didn't care!
gretchendz and CDTraveler like this.
Old Sep 8, 2022, 11:24 pm

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
Can't recall

Originally Posted by CDTraveler
So, when's the last time you wore earrings?

LOL even though I have pierced ears, I cannot recall the last time I wore earrings. In fairness, though, I am retired Come to think of it, the holes may have closed up...
CDTraveler likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.