Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

I need this travel tote in my life

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I need this travel tote in my life

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2018, 12:33 pm

I got my bag today!!! Wow, it's so nice. I thought the shoe compartment was under the bag but when I look inside, I was like OMG!

It's really neat.
gretchendz likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 1:55 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum; Amex Plat; Four Seasons; Fairmont; HH; etc.; "Retirees-In-Training"
Originally Posted by Deafchick
I got my bag today!!! Wow, it's so nice. I thought the shoe compartment was under the bag but when I look inside, I was like OMG!

It's really neat.
Okay, so now I'm hooked here, too

This OMG (OMG! What a name!) looks great.

But... IS there a side pocket that is really convenient to grab something *fast* (Cell phone? That $10 stashed for a tip? Passport/boarding pass when unexpected?).
After all, women's clothing all too often have no pockets. Grrrr.

I got the Longchamp large before our trip to Japan last year, and it was terrific for what it was. Except that there are so many; everyone has one now, and I made the mistake of getting black. So of course, at airport security, Mr. GeezerCouple had to make a mad dash as someone started to walk off with the wrong one. (We are assuming it was an honest error; it could have been me doing that, after all.)

And... as I had sort of feared, it has the "one big bottomless pit" problem. Just that tiny little semi-pouch thingie at the top on one side??? But we ran out of time (how'd that happen!?), so I grabbed it, since I had been eyeing them for ages. We'll get use out of it, and since it folds so tiny, we can stash it for unexpected needs.

So please share, and are there any other surprising "downers" once one has the OMG?
I sometimes swear that no women actually design purses They'd KNOW, wouldn't they, that you can't just have one huge cavernous pit for something that is supposed to hold lots of small-to-medium things, and some that are needed relatively quickly.

And where *is* the shoe compartment, if not "under"?

Okay. <end rant>

Looks like I just found a better mousetrap.
I hope.
We have too many collected mousetraps tossed aside already.

Thanks!

GC
Old Feb 5, 2018, 8:44 am
tcl

Location: In a hotel somewhere trying to repack everything I brought (and bought) in to a carry-on smaller than my last one.
Programs: UA, Asia Miles, Southwest, IHG
Originally Posted by GeezerCouple

But... IS there a side pocket that is really convenient to grab something *fast* (Cell phone? That $10 stashed for a tip? Passport/boarding pass when unexpected?).

I got the Longchamp large before our trip to Japan last year, and it was terrific for what it was. Except that there are so many; everyone has one now, and I made the mistake of getting black. So of course, at airport security, Mr. GeezerCouple had to make a mad dash as someone started to walk off with the wrong one. (We are assuming it was an honest error; it could have been me doing that, after all.)

And... as I had sort of feared, it has the "one big bottomless pit" problem. Just that tiny little semi-pouch thingie at the top on one side??? But we ran out of time (how'd that happen!?), so I grabbed it, since I had been eyeing them for ages. We'll get use out of it, and since it folds so tiny, we can stash it for unexpected needs.

So please share, and are there any other surprising "downers" once one has the OMG?
I sometimes swear that no women actually design purses They'd KNOW, wouldn't they, that you can't just have one huge cavernous pit for something that is supposed to hold lots of small-to-medium things, and some that are needed relatively quickly.

Okay. <end rant>

I hope.

Thanks!

GC
I ordered one a few years back to see what the fuss was all about and while the bag was very attractive and had all the right organization details, it was not for me. I personally prefer zippers to come down a little further on the sides so that the bag opens a bit more for more access and better organization. Also, while the outside-access interior shoe compartment is a great idea, I find that stuffing things in that way is annoying as it involves pushing upwards with a hand in the dirty pocket to shift the stuff inside the bag to make room for the shoes. agnes b had something similar a few years back but the position of the shoe/umbrella compartment was vertical instead of horizontal which worked much better.

I ended up giving it away as a graduation present to a cousin who loves it and uses the compartment to put her packable poncho for commutes.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 9:27 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
I sometimes swear that no women actually design purses They'd KNOW, wouldn't they, that you can't just have one huge cavernous pit for something that is supposed to hold lots of small-to-medium things, and some that are needed relatively quickly.C
That's not fair - not all women want the same things, you know ;-) I often find "organized" bags don't have pockets and/or zippers where I want them - honestly I prefer to have an open tote and use smaller zippered bags to hold things I want separate. Thus far in my life, I've been able to make do with what's available out there....

I was excited when I saw this thread and some of the other blog posts about Lo & Sons - what gets me is the weight of the bags seems heavy for what it is. So, thus far, I don't own one ;-)
Old Feb 6, 2018, 12:30 pm

Okay. <end rant>

I hope.

Thanks!

GC
I'm confused by this post but I will be back with pictures.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 12:45 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum; Amex Plat; Four Seasons; Fairmont; HH; etc.; "Retirees-In-Training"
Originally Posted by Deafchick
I'm confused by this post but I will be back with pictures.
Very sorry to have been confusing (or perhaps I was the one confused?).

Anyway, I liked what I saw about the compartments, but I thought there was something you wrote that indicated the shoe compartment wasn't on the bottom, or perhaps had a different opening than expected?

Many thanks!

GC
Old Oct 4, 2018, 1:08 pm

After many years of talking ;-) I just ordered a Lo & Sons OMG in red - they're having a warehouse sale and it's $110. Sort of hoping it's small enough to use as a daily bag/crossbody purse for short trips (I never did find what I was looking for earlier in the summer.....) If not, it still looks like a good flight personal item. We'll see.
gretchendz likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 7:50 am

Hoyaheel, thanks for posting this. I'm on L&S's mailing list and wasn't alerted to the sale. I have been considering the OMG as an every day commuter bag as the OG, while great for travel, is just a bit too awkward. That's a great price. I hope that it works for you.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by rsqrott
I'm on L&S's mailing list and wasn't alerted to the sale.
I saw it on corporette.com - but how annoying that it didn't go out to email subscribers!
Old Oct 5, 2018, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by Hoyaheel
I saw it on corporette.com - but how annoying that it didn't go out to email subscribers!
I was surprised because they're usually very good about giving me a chance to part with my money.

But your post made me go back and read through this thread a little bit.
Geezercouple- regarding the shoe pouch, it's on the side (not underneath) and the pouch itself extends into the body of the bag like a sock puppet. I find it very awkward for shoes (as they end up taking up too much interior real estate) but it's perfect for a small travel umbrella and a travel brush, things that I tend to need to grab in a hurry.
The zipped outside pocket has a key leash, sections for pens and other smaller slip pockets. But one thing that I usually do is tuck a small crossbody bag into the OMG. That bag has my phone, passport and wallet so all of those essentials are right where I need them and easy to locate. I can also wear the crossbody on the plane during those times I'm flying alone and don't have anyone to watch my "stuff" if I leave the seat.

TCL- I had bought an OG as well a few years ago, then returned it as it wasn't right for me. I ended up buying one again (fickle) around two years ago and it has become my go to. As my travel style changes my needs have changed as well, I guess.
gretchendz and Hoyaheel like this.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 3:53 pm

I"m trying to get better about acknowledging that my needs/wants can & do change over time!! I just showed my husband a photo of the OMG I ordered and he likes it (and, having heard me complain at various points in the past few months, asks "can you use it as a crossbody purse while traveling" ;-)
gretchendz and rsqrott like this.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 6:55 am

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
LO

I"m trying to get better about acknowledging that my needs/wants can & do change over time!! I just showed my husband a photo of the OMG I ordered and he likes it (and, having heard me complain at various points in the past few months, asks "can you use it as a crossbody purse while traveling" ;-)
Based on comments here (this forum costs me a lot of money!) I bought a Lo and Sons OMG. Although I really wanted the red, I bought the gray on the (successful) theory that when I travel with husband, he would be willing to carry a gray one but not a red. Fast forward to a trip together last week. We were waiting in the boarding area and he started waxing eloquent about a what a great well-made bag it is. He LIKES carrying it for me. I like that it fits under the seat so I don't have to put it in overhead bin. This makes me feel oddly virtuous, leaving space for all the poor souls trying to avoid baggage fees. Deplaning is faster as I just grab it and go. I often carry a small crossbody purse too (pretty much only wallet and cell phone and tissues) --but usually stuff it into the OMG.

My only issue was remembering which was the side pocket that was the luggage sleeve--and not putting things in it that would disappear onto the floor. I finally put a bright luggage tag on the side I can safely put things in. Problem solved

I, too, find the shoe pocket awkward and don't use it. Good idea about the hairbrush though @rsqrott

I'm thinking of buying the red one too

Last edited by gretchendz; Oct 7, 2018 at 7:01 am
Old Oct 8, 2018, 4:00 am

Programs: *G, VS Silver, HH Diamond
I typically end up using the shoe compartment for the flipflops I want to wear on my longhaul flights. Or I skip out on using it altogether.
gretchendz likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 1:58 pm

! I just showed my husband a photo of the OMG I ordered and he likes it (and, having heard me complain at various points in the past few months, asks "can you use it as a crossbody purse while traveling" ;-)
This is proof that they actually do listen!

Originally Posted by gretchendz
I like that it fits under the seat so I don't have to put it in overhead bin. @rsqrott
I love that your husband doesn't mind carrying the bag. But I did forget to mention that one of the best parts is that the OG fits under the seat. I can squash it so that it fits (now that my carry on isn't crammed to bursting), rest my feet on it and always have my bag nearby. Grab it and go.
And yes, the front pocket vs suitcase strap can get confusing. The luggage tag is a great idea as opposed to playing spot the shiny zipper.
Hoyaheel likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 5:12 pm

I will remember that tip and make sure to identify the luggage pass through zipper! I think the bag is supposed to arrive tomorrow ;-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.