Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

I need this travel tote in my life

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I need this travel tote in my life

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2023, 2:53 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by QT31415
I bought one of those Cincha travel belt so that is supposed to keep bags on your roller, in one of my misguided attempts to use my le pliage tote. It doesn’t work well, so do t waste your money. If it was elasticized it would be better, but every time you want to access your tote to remove or add things the belt has to be readjusted or the tote won’t be securely held. If it’s tight enough to hold the tote on, the you can’t properly access the items in the tote. So it’s a futz- went back to my away bag with the integrated sleeve.
I also bought one and discarded it after one use. What a waste of money. It was a total disappointment. They have good ads, though.
Old Jun 9, 2023, 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I also bought one and discarded it after one use. What a waste of money. It was a total disappointment. They have good ads, though.
Is that... a $40 luggage strap?

Some bag shapes and contents/slick material have a propensity for swinging around the handle and falling off, especially with a 2 wheeler and bumpy ground.
I keep a long gear tie in my travel backpack to help tie my backpack handle through arm of the roller handle even though most of my travel bags have a sleeve https://niteize.com/gear-tie-reusable-rubber-twist-tie because seeing my bag accelerate towards the pavement is never a good feeling.
I'd probably also use it if I wanted to wheel two similar sized spinners back to back over mostly flat ground since my hand isn't quite large enough to keep both bags together by the handles. Just a thought for those who travel with others and share being the luggage person or are more maximalist packers.
CDTraveler and tcl like this.
Old Jun 9, 2023, 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by freecia
more maximalist packers.
LOVE it!

I am definitely a "maximalist packer" for anything over 72 hours.
gretchendz likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2023, 5:13 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
I hear "road trip" and the car just starts filling up! Good thing neither of us enjoy driving in vacation - we don't road trip often, but we did a few shortish trips during COVID. And the entire back of my Subaru or his BMW SUV were full!
gretchendz and CDTraveler like this.
Old Jul 11, 2023, 7:43 am

Update- OG vs OG2
I took a quick trip and though it the perfect opportunity to test drive my OG2. This is a very basic comparison.
The first thing that I noticed was the feel, the zippers seem stiffer and feel cheaper on the OG2. The leather handles as well feel more plastic-y. Now this could be due to my OG being well broken in after 8 years (yes I found my original receipt from 2015) but the materials just don't "feel" as nice. This is still a good looking bag, though. The exterior and interior fabric of the OG2 does look and feel almost identical to the OG.
The OG2 definitely keeps it's dome shape and does not collapse in like the OG does. The laptop sleeve having it's own zipper in the OG2 makes a huge difference as far as speed and access. No more having to unpack and repack the bag so it's worth it for the lack of aggravation alone. Interior pocket layout in the OG2 is the same as for the OG, minus the laptop pocket. I still found myself scrabbling for it after 8 years of muscle memory from rooting through the bag .
So the exterior laptop access is a sanity saver, the shoe pocket being tucked away is a nice to have as is the rigid upright frame. Still a nice bag. I'll likely stick with my OG when not carrying a laptop.
gretchendz likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2023, 5:02 pm

Lo & Sons is having a sale and I'm considering the Catalina Deluxe. I'm having a hard time figuring out whether I should get the small or the large - which sizes have you ladies purchased?
Old Aug 20, 2023, 9:42 pm
tcl

Location: In a hotel somewhere trying to repack everything I brought (and bought) in to a carry-on smaller than my last one.
Programs: UA, Asia Miles, Southwest, IHG
I bought one of those Cincha travel belt so that is supposed to keep bags on your roller, in one of my misguided attempts to use my le pliage tote. It doesn’t work well, so do t waste your money. If it was elasticized it would be better, but every time you want to access your tote to remove or add things the belt has to be readjusted or the tote won’t be securely held. If it’s tight enough to hold the tote on, the you can’t properly access the items in the tote. So it’s a futz- went back to my away bag with the integrated sleeve.

I use this
strap strap
. The buckle attaches to the top handle of the trolley to prevent the top bag from submarining. It's heavier because the 2 horizontal bars are stiff but it helps hold heaver top bags. Just this past winter, it held an Eagle Creek convertible weekender (used as a travel diaper bag) on an IT 22" wheeled carry-on.
Old Aug 21, 2023, 9:23 am

Programs: Alaska 100K (aka OWS)
Originally Posted by tcl
I use this strap. The buckle attaches to the top handle of the trolley to prevent the top bag from submarining. It's heavier because the 2 horizontal bars are stiff but it helps hold heaver top bags. Just this past winter, it held an Eagle Creek convertible weekender (used as a travel diaper bag) on an IT 22" wheeled carry-on.
I have that one also but same issue - can't access the smaller bag while its on the wheelie. Since our transits can be very long, I've gone back to the smaller bags with the integrated luggage sleeves.
tcl likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2023, 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by Buster
Lo & Sons is having a sale and I'm considering the Catalina Deluxe. I'm having a hard time figuring out whether I should get the small or the large - which sizes have you ladies purchased?
I have bought two small ones. Look at Lo & Sons web site where there are photos of a person who is 5'7" and another who is 5'2" to gauge which bag would suit you better.

Even the small ones are heavy when not packed fully.
Old Aug 22, 2023, 8:51 pm

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
Me

Originally Posted by Buster
I bought the one that was the biggest that still qualified as a personal item which was the Catalina Deluxe. I stick my small nylon crossbody purse into it during the flight. It really holds a lot.

I like it quite a bit but I still love my OG2 for the padding and all the pockets.
Old Aug 23, 2023, 12:14 pm

Programs: DL PM MM SC; GE; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Diamond
I have a Lo & Sons OG and the issue I have with it is that there's no way to lock it. Considering this is a travel bag, that surprised me. I'm not comfortable traveling with an unlocked bag - I travel alone frequently and have no one to watch my bags in an airline lounge or on a train if I need to go to the ladies room without wanting to schlep my stuff with me, for example. As a result, I'm not using it much and am thinking about consigning it.
Old Aug 24, 2023, 10:30 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K (aka OWS)
Originally Posted by ShopAround
I have a Lo & Sons OG and the issue I have with it is that there's no way to lock it. Considering this is a travel bag, that surprised me. I'm not comfortable traveling with an unlocked bag - I travel alone frequently and have no one to watch my bags in an airline lounge or on a train if I need to go to the ladies room without wanting to schlep my stuff with me, for example. As a result, I'm not using it much and am thinking about consigning it.
what is the zipper situation - I can't really tell from the website. I've honestly considered them several times but have to see an advantage over my away Everywhere bag - the separate shoe compartment is a really nice selling point, as I need a place to carry my plane slippers. I also like a way to secure my "seat bag" when in the restroom or etc., though I usually just use a carabiner or other deterrent.
Old Aug 26, 2023, 1:51 pm

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
Specific Question?

what is the zipper situation - I can't really tell from the website. I've honestly considered them several times but have to see an advantage over my away Everywhere bag - the separate shoe compartment is a really nice selling point, as I need a place to carry my plane slippers. I also like a way to secure my "seat bag" when in the restroom or etc., though I usually just use a carabiner or other deterrent.
Not sure of your specific zipper question but here's what's on mine (admittedly a few years old but holding up beautifully)

Sturdy zipper on top
Luggage Sleeve side has top and bottom zippers
Non-sleeve side has zipper
Shoe compratment has a zipper
One inside pocket has zipper
Old Aug 26, 2023, 3:36 pm

I ended up ordering both the Catalina Deluxe small and the Catalina Tote. I ended up retuning both - the tote was too small and the deluxe too big. Both were very heavy empty.

I like the idea behind the bags, but my search for a Goldilocks carryon tote continues.
Old Aug 27, 2023, 10:15 am

Programs: DL PM MM SC; GE; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by gretchendz
Not sure of your specific zipper question but here's what's on mine (admittedly a few years old but holding up beautifully)

Sturdy zipper on top
Luggage Sleeve side has top and bottom zippers
Non-sleeve side has zipper
Shoe compratment has a zipper
One inside pocket has zipper
There are plenty of zippers but my issue is that they aren't lockable, they're solid, round zipper pulls with their logo. I can't lock them together to secure the bag contents, if that makes sense. That's my issue with the Lo & Sons bag (along with the weight, although that's not as big an issue since I stacked it on top of a smaller roller bag).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.