Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

I need this travel tote in my life

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I need this travel tote in my life

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2023, 12:45 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
I'm always leery of super lightweight fabrics used in luggage vs handbags or totes - Lipault is another I've known people to be happy with, certainly for carry-ons, and I was pleasantly surprised to note they offer 2 wheel and 4 wheel options - it's been so hard to find 2 wheels (my preference) the past, gee, decade?

Decided to use my longchamps tote as a summer purse this week, haven't used in forever. Now I remember why - it's useless. Not one decent pocket, so I have to carry extra bags inside the tote to hold small things. Don't love it. Guess I should get rid of it (my "similar" Tumi is SO MUCH better - though a little larger so I use it as a personal item for travel, not a regular daily purse)

I think I did get rid of my lo & sons OG bag this year. And if I didn't, I need to, as I never use it either.
Old Jun 4, 2023, 2:18 am

Originally Posted by Hoyaheel
I'm always leery of super lightweight fabrics used in luggage vs handbags or totes - Lipault is another I've known people to be happy with, certainly for carry-ons, and I was pleasantly surprised to note they offer 2 wheel and 4 wheel options - it's been so hard to find 2 wheels (my preference) the past, gee, decade?

Decided to use my longchamps tote as a summer purse this week, haven't used in forever. Now I remember why - it's useless. Not one decent pocket, so I have to carry extra bags inside the tote to hold small things. Don't love it. Guess I should get rid of it (my "similar" Tumi is SO MUCH better - though a little larger so I use it as a personal item for travel, not a regular daily purse)

I think I did get rid of my lo & sons OG bag this year. And if I didn't, I need to, as I never use it either.
I understand the Longchamps tote has no useful pockets. Why do you not use the Lo&Sons OG bag? That certainly has pockets. I own neither item, so I appreciate analyses like yours.
Old Jun 4, 2023, 7:05 am

The lo&sons OG is a very well designed but specific bag. Its shape is not one I love (the curved/domed top) and the fabric isn't squishy OR firm enough. I don't like the size, shape, or organization for my needs. I have flown with it and find it a little too big for my comfort under the seat. And it's too big/heavy for me to use as a daily work tote.

I think it's mainly the stiffened foam like fabric that is the source of most of my issues with it.
Old Jun 4, 2023, 10:22 am

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
Ah

Originally Posted by Hoyaheel
The lo&sons OG is a very well designed but specific bag. Its shape is not one I love (the curved/domed top) and the fabric isn't squishy OR firm enough. I don't like the size, shape, or organization for my needs. I have flown with it and find it a little too big for my comfort under the seat. And it's too big/heavy for me to use as a daily work tote.

I think it's mainly the stiffened foam like fabric that is the source of most of my issues with it.
I actually love it's squishy padded feel. I feel my laptop is safer in in it. I actually just bought, during the Memorial sale, the Catalina Deluxe Tote. I'm trying it out and love the organization but feel it may be too stiff for my taste, we'll see. On the plus side, although it is pretty big, it qualifies as a personal item. I throw my little crossbody into it and voila--I really have two carry-ons.

Last edited by gretchendz; Jun 6, 2023 at 3:42 pm
Old Jun 5, 2023, 2:38 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K (aka OWS)
Agree with the longchamps uselessness, I always want to bring it but end up regretting it. I've been eyeing this but then what do you do with the insert if you want to stow the bag in your suitcase?

Also agree with being leery of lightweight material in suitcases, but the challenge is 3 weeks (including several dressy events) in a 7 kg maximum weight bag. I'm flying Condor within Europe for the first time, and don't mind paying extra for being able to carry on more stuff, but the only option I see is paying extra to check a bag. Can't check a bag for several reasons, so the alternative is ditching my trusty Away bag for this Kipling roll aboard. I'll post pics if I actually complete the mission!
Old Jun 5, 2023, 4:33 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by QT31415
Also agree with being leery of lightweight material in suitcases, but the challenge is 3 weeks (including several dressy events) in a 7 kg maximum weight bag. I'm flying Condor within Europe for the first time, and don't mind paying extra for being able to carry on more stuff, but the only option I see is paying extra to check a bag. Can't check a bag for several reasons, so the alternative is ditching my trusty Away bag for this Kipling roll aboard. I'll post pics if I actually complete the mission!
Forgive me for not thoroughly reading above but my eye was caught for you needing a lightweight bag that you can pack with clothes for a 3 week trip, yet stay under 7 kg. My go to bag is Asaks 20" wheeled trolley. It is under 5 pounds (shown on website as 4.8 lbs . I easily keep it under 7 kg when packed for a 2 week trip. I took it on a recent trip where I needed a dress that I would only wear a couple times. I packed it in a packing cube that was easy to ignore except on the occasions for which I needed that dress.

https://asaks.com/collections/trolle...wheeled-duffel - also available on Amazon

I've used the suitcase for years. Yes, it is flimsy, but it doesn't get a lot of wear as a carry on. I've just bought a replacement because inevitably this will wear out and I swear by it.

Because it has no structure, if it is underpacked, my small case that I carry on top will flop around. I now use this strap and absolutely love it. it's easy to me to roll both pieces wherever I need to go.

Amazon Amazon
gretchendz, QT31415 and rsqrott like this.
Old Jun 6, 2023, 6:49 pm

San Diego, WOW, that's a full 7L more space than the Kipling bag I got, and a lot less $ too. It reminds me of that old Costco duffel on wheels that I used for years. However, I need a spinner due to back issues, as I can't drag anything behind me and like to use the spinner as a semi-support when tired (yeah old). I'm impressed with your packing skills!
Geogirl1234 likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2023, 3:17 am

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
FMy go to bag is Asaks 20" wheeled trolley. It is under 5 pounds (shown on website as 4.8 lbs . I easily keep it under 7 kg when packed for a 2 week trip.

https://asaks.com/collections/trolle...wheeled-duffel - also available on Amazon

Because it has no structure, if it is underpacked, my small case that I carry on top will flop around. I now use this strap and absolutely love it. it's easy to me to roll both pieces wherever I need to go.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Here's a picture of my Asaks, my cabin bag, and the strap with which I am in love as it keeps my travel bag firmly on top of the Asaks duffle even when it is lightly packed. I'm using this on a 10 day trip and the Asaks duffle is roughly half filled.
QT31415 likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2023, 11:57 am

Here's a picture of my Asaks, my cabin bag, and the strap with which I am in love as it keeps my travel bag firmly on top of the Asaks duffle even when it is lightly packed. I'm using this on a 10 day trip and the Asaks duffle is roughly half filled.
...and 2 of those straps are now en route to my house. Really needed something like that on our last long trip - the small duffle kept slipping sideways off the top of the suitcase every time we got on or off of a train, which was about every other day, plus a few bus rides. One for me, one for traveling companion.
SanDiego1K and Hoyaheel like this.

Last edited by CDTraveler; Jun 8, 2023 at 1:50 pm
Old Jun 8, 2023, 2:07 pm

Those - or similar - have been recommended in the travel products forum - haven't bought yet, but if hubs brings his North Face duffel to england, I might recommend
Old Jun 8, 2023, 10:20 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
SanDiego1K How quickly can you release that strap?

I ask because I bought a new topper and the sleeve on it is too tight. When I’m walking through an airport and unexpectedly approach stairs I want to lift it off in a second, but I have to move to the side and struggle with it a bit. Can you release that strap fast? I’m trying to figure out if I need a new topper, a belt or if this might work. I like that it looks like this might stay over the handle when you free the topper so not another item in my hand.
Old Jun 8, 2023, 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by l etoile
SanDiego1K How quickly can you release that strap?

I ask because I bought a new topper and the sleeve on it is too tight. When I’m walking through an airport and unexpectedly approach stairs I want to lift it off in a second, but I have to move to the side and struggle with it a bit. Can you release that strap fast? I’m trying to figure out if I need a new topper, a belt or if this might work. I like that it looks like this might stay over the handle when you free the topper so not another item in my hand.
I can release it very quickly but it does take a bit if I have entirely removed it. First, the bottom of the stretchy belt needs to go down around the handle, then the upper bag goes on, then the stretchy belt goes over the top. I love it, I swear by it, and I wouldn't want to be without it as my upper bag caused me masses of problems by swinging off and around the handle. It has completely stopped that. It's just $10, it's almost nothing to carry in your bag when you've got your suitcase in the overhead bin on the airplane, so it's not a financial risk to try it.

You'll see that I have a vivid orange strap. I had a different design that was black and lost it on a recent trip. I think it fell off in the trunk of our cab and black on black just didn't catch the eye. This is highly visible.
l etoile and CDTraveler like this.
Old Jun 8, 2023, 10:42 pm

You'll see that I have a vivid orange strap. I had a different design that was black and lost it on a recent trip. I think it fell off in the trunk of our cab and black on black just didn't catch the eye. This is highly visible.
I ordered one in orange and one in lime green, just so they'd be highly visible inside a bag, or in the clutter that is my travel stuff cabinet downstairs.
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2023, 8:53 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Thanks SanDiego1K . I’ll order. The color makes a lot of sense.
Old Jun 9, 2023, 2:51 pm

I bought one of those Cincha travel belt so that is supposed to keep bags on your roller, in one of my misguided attempts to use my le pliage tote. It doesn’t work well, so do t waste your money. If it was elasticized it would be better, but every time you want to access your tote to remove or add things the belt has to be readjusted or the tote won’t be securely held. If it’s tight enough to hold the tote on, the you can’t properly access the items in the tote. So it’s a futz- went back to my away bag with the integrated sleeve.
l etoile likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.