Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

I need this travel tote in my life

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I need this travel tote in my life

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2022, 7:38 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Other nylon tote bag brands I own or have owned or have shopped: Haiku (this is a heavier nylon tote and the model I own has a luggage strap), Baggalini, Kipling, Timbuk2....
gretchendz likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2022, 8:30 am

Programs: American Airlines, Marriott, Hertz, Avis
My Lo & Sons OMG has been replaced on my last three long haul trips with the Tumi Just in Case Tote. It's very large, nylon, and has a sleeve so it slides onto my roller suitcase. It also comes in a bag that I found myself using a ton all on its own to carry small items like tissues, lip balm, etc.

I do wish it had at least a pocket or two inside, but that's really the only negative I can say about it. As much as I adore the OMG, it just isn't big enough for long long trips where I need every inch of space I can get.
gretchendz, tcl and Hoyaheel like this.
Old Nov 3, 2022, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by Hoyaheel
Have you checked out le sportsac? They don't always have solid colors, but often black or navy options. Nordstrom Rack often has great LS deal - like this (this is too large as a personal item mostly - it's a weekender).
Actually this fall LeSportSac has more solid colors than I've ever seen before on their site, over 20 I think. Not all bags are in all colors, but there's a decent chance of finding a bag you like in a solid color that works for you.

They've been having a lot of promotions recently, mainly via email. I just picked up a fluorescent floral small backpack for 30% off.
gretchendz and Hoyaheel like this.
Old Nov 3, 2022, 9:38 am

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
Lands End

Have you checked out le sportsac? They don't always have solid colors, but often black or navy options. Nordstrom Rack often has great LS deal - like this (this is too large as a personal item mostly - it's a weekender). They have this (I like the geometric shape - a little different) in black and a floral. (the Rack website has a few more options) I have some Lands End luggage - used to be well made, not sure about current, but this tote is cute and on sale.
Thanks--while I was looking at something a bit more upscale, the lands End is so cheap I may try it. Do like the shape on the geometric.
Hoyaheel likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2022, 9:39 am

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
Ah

Other nylon tote bag brands I own or have owned or have shopped: Haiku (this is a heavier nylon tote and the model I own has a luggage strap), Baggalini, Kipling, Timbuk2....
Forgot about Haiku abd Timbuk2..thanks
Hoyaheel likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2022, 2:54 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
For super funky, I LOVE my sail-sac (I'd have to look up which brand I have but there are quite a few I've seen online) - it has a zipper top (my biggest requirement for a travel tote) but otherwise no organization, no luggage strap, not a terribly comfortable long strap (you can always swap those out) - but I have a tote made out of a red and white sailboat sail!
gretchendz, tcl and FlyerStef like this.
Old Nov 4, 2022, 9:25 pm

I have some Lands End luggage - used to be well made, not sure about current, but this tote is cute and on sale.
Well, I didn't buy that tote, but I did buy a briefcase also shown on the page with my 50% off LE coupon - it's going to be a Christmas gift
gretchendz and Hoyaheel like this.
Old Apr 18, 2023, 9:20 am

My new underseater bag because my Cpap et Al are getting too heavy to carry so now I can roll.

https://us.delsey.com/products/40167...43297495744735

gretchendz likes this.
Old May 25, 2023, 7:25 am

This thread makes me realize that I've probably had my Lo & Son's OG for around 10 years now. I have just purchased the OG2. Putting the 2 bags side by side I can see just how well the OG had held up, it's really in great shape after being stuffed under countless airline seats. The nylon still looks basically new, the hardware still shiny and the zippers all sound, sturdy and functioning. My reason for wanting to try the OG 2 was the exterior zip pocket for the laptop. No matter how lightly I would pack, there was always a struggle to cram the laptop back into the OG (yes I have GE but sometimes the laptop still has to come out). I haven't flown with it yet and will write up a review when I do.
Some thing I have noticed:
The OG looks bigger...but both bags do have the same dimensions My OG is floppier due to time and probably getting a bit droopy (sigh). The OG 2 is more structured. Whether this will be an advantage for travel remains to be seen.
The OG2 has a little snap that keeps the lining of the "shoe pocket" up against the side of the bag. This is clever because that shoe pocket does take up internal real estate. I use mine for an umbrella and a reusable bag so I'll be able to keep the snap in place and still have all of the interior to fill.
That exterior zip pocket for the laptop looks like it really will save me aggravation. I may test pack just to try it out.
There's an interior mesh pocket for water bottles, etc. This will probably be useful for keeping my spare eyeglasses in place but I'd always stuff my water bottle down the inside of the bag anyway. I really wish they had a mesh pocket on the exterior side of the bag.
I was able to get the OG2 in large, in Navy for $199 during the memorial day sale. It's still in stock if anyone in interested.
OG2 large in Navy
gretchendz, QT31415 and ysolde like this.
Old May 29, 2023, 4:44 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K (aka OWS)
Originally Posted by rsqrott
I was able to get the OG2 in large, in Navy for $199 during the memorial day sale. It's still in stock if anyone in interested.
OG2 large in Navy
That's a great deal - really tempted! I have the Away everywhere bag which I like but doesn't look great carried as a tote. Anyone have both Away and OG2 and can give me a pros/cons?
Old May 30, 2023, 7:13 am

Originally Posted by QT31415
That's a great deal - really tempted! I have the Away everywhere bag which I like but doesn't look great carried as a tote. Anyone have both Away and OG2 and can give me a pros/cons?
I might have gone for the Everywhere bag if I'd known about it as they both seem similar. The Away is rectangular so it will fit easier under seats. No shoe pocket though (which is surprisingly handy). The Lo & Son's is a bit "fancier" IMO with the shinier nylon and zips. And at a glance I prefer the interior pocket layout in the OG2.
How does the external laptop sleeve on the Away work for you? Handy?
Old May 30, 2023, 6:01 pm

And at a glance I prefer the interior pocket layout in the OG2. How does the external laptop sleeve on the Away work for you? Handy?
I use it all the time, fits either my ipad or my MacBook Pro 13". Things I like about the Away- an open exterior pocket just sized for phone or boarding pass, an integrated zip pocket on the sleeve that has interior slots just right for the passport, the interior zip pocket and 4 interior organizing pockets for my cords and necessaries, the "hidden" pockets on the bottom, one of which is supposed to be for an umbrella but often stores extra currency or emergency chocolate or small gifts. But it doesn't double as a day bag at all. Looks and acts like what it is, a carry on personal item.
ysolde likes this.
Old May 31, 2023, 5:58 am

I use it all the time, fits either my ipad or my MacBook Pro 13". Things I like about the Away- an open exterior pocket just sized for phone or boarding pass, an integrated zip pocket on the sleeve that has interior slots just right for the passport, the interior zip pocket and 4 interior organizing pockets for my cords and necessaries, the "hidden" pockets on the bottom, one of which is supposed to be for an umbrella but often stores extra currency or emergency chocolate or small gifts. But it doesn't double as a day bag at all. Looks and acts like what it is, a carry on personal item.
Interesting, the Away website doesn't seem to hilight any of those features( unless I missed something). Sounds like a very well thought out bag.
The OG had a front exterior pocket with slots for pens, passport, etc, but the pocket is always distorted due to the laptop so I find the front pocket not that useable. Granted the last few times I flew I wore jeans which, honestly, having actual pockets made a world of difference. No fussing with my bag...here's my passport...and my phone...and my boarding pass.
But the OG has worked very well for a work bag and the occasional going shopping while travelling bag ( I do bring my weighs nothing at all Kipling for a regular purse).
Old May 31, 2023, 2:26 pm

But the OG has worked very well for a work bag and the occasional going shopping while travelling bag ( I do bring my weighs nothing at all Kipling for a regular purse).
Interesting about your Kipling - I just got a Kipling carry on with spinner wheels, it was the only under 4# spinner I could find that "might" carry 3 weeks of clothing. I have to fly a leg on Ryanair next month and hate checking bags. Haven't tried that brand before. Fingers crossed!
rsqrott likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2023, 7:03 am

Interesting about your Kipling - I just got a Kipling carry on with spinner wheels, it was the only under 4# spinner I could find that "might" carry 3 weeks of clothing. I have to fly a leg on Ryanair next month and hate checking bags. Haven't tried that brand before. Fingers crossed!
My Kipling is a purse but I'd be interested to head how their luggage holds up. Are you planning to carry on only? My usual carry on spinner (Tumi) does get heavy when I'm trying to heft it into the overhead so I;ve been intrigued by lighter weight models. But I'm also leery since I have had gate checked bags end up being "pick this up at the baggage carousel rather than the jetbridge" bags and am afraid of how they light weight ones would fare.
Geogirl1234 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.