Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club
Reload this Page >

Virgin Atlantic COVID-19 Cancellations and related issues

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Virgin Atlantic COVID-19 Cancellations and related issues

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2020, 2:51 am

Programs: BMI
Looks like my LHR-LAS flight on the 6 June has just been cancelled. It's disappeared from my bookings, there's no direct flight available on the website. It doesn't seem very well organised though as they haven't emailed me to inform me of the cancellation. I tried calling but there's just an automated message to text or WhatsApp. Did that a couple days ago and no response yet.
Old May 23, 2020, 12:46 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by lkar
It sure would be nice to hear some datapoints of people actually starting to get some refunds posted.
Likewise agree! Anyone from first load in March received anything? Cancelled my flight on 11 April.. so hoping for mid-July here.
Old May 23, 2020, 5:23 pm

I texted March 27th and heard back from them on March 28th, still no refund.
Old May 24, 2020, 8:53 am

It has been 5 weeks here and I am going to move forward with a CC chargeback and DOT complaint (since I have to write up something for the chargeback I might as well file the DOT complaint). US law is clear and while I am willing to cut them some slack, the lack of any clear communications or expectations means I am done waiting. This will be a more challenging chargeback than another I did since VS is good (likely unintentionally) at not creating much of a "paper trail". Not a lot of money on the line but enough that it is worth the effort to get it.
londonba2014 likes this.

Last edited by 36902BRF; May 24, 2020 at 9:04 am
Old May 25, 2020, 4:44 pm

I put my chargeback in last week. I get VS has fallen on hard times but acting like it's up to me to save the company and the livelihood of so many people is absurd. They aren't running a charity.
londonba2014 likes this.
Old May 25, 2020, 11:45 pm

Originally Posted by sethMCOflyer
I put my chargeback in last week. I get VS has fallen on hard times but acting like it's up to me to save the company and the livelihood of so many people is absurd. They aren't running a charity.
Agreed! I have a bunch of refunds due from them and little to no communication regarding a time frame. I put in my chargebacks and hopefully they'll be resolved soon.
londonba2014 likes this.
Old May 26, 2020, 9:57 am

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
I was able to contact VS via text several weeks ago to rebook a cancelled award flight, but when that new booking was cancelled, my attempt to text VS was greeted with a message saying that they would only re-book flights with 14 days of travel.
Old May 28, 2020, 4:54 am

Programs: BA silver, CO
Apologies if I missed another thread where this is being discussed, but I read in couple places in the last two days saying that Virgin has delayed resuming flights until August.

What I'm confused about is that Virgin rebooked me on Tuesday an open jaw LHR-LAS BOS-LHR in mid-July, but the Business Traveler article is from Monday. Are the articles misinterpreting what is more of a threat to the government than an actual announcement? Or did Virgin rebook me on flights which they don't intend to operate?
Old May 28, 2020, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by Philvid2
Apologies if I missed another thread where this is being discussed, but I read in couple places in the last two days saying that Virgin has delayed resuming flights until August.

What I'm confused about is that Virgin rebooked me on Tuesday an open jaw LHR-LAS BOS-LHR in mid-July, but the Business Traveler article is from Monday. Are the articles misinterpreting what is more of a threat to the government than an actual announcement? Or did Virgin rebook me on flights which they don't intend to operate?
This situation is and will likely remain fluid. I bet VS itself doesn't know yet what it is going to do. The article you refer to could be an accurate reflection of what VS intends to do or it could be a negotiating gambit from VS towards the UK government or somebody else. Nobody here knows.
Old Jul 3, 2020, 11:57 am

Amex approved my chargeback within a couple of days - didn't even ask for any extra information.
Old Jul 27, 2020, 6:13 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
Virgin say that Flying Club redemptions booked today for travel up until April 2021 can be rebooked free of charge(except for any fare difference). Does anyone know what this means in practice?

Would you still have to book the same route and airline for the redemption?
Or would you just have to make another booking up to the same amount of miles?
Or, are they just refunding the miles and taxes?

Any help, appreciated.

https://flywith.virginatlantic.com/g...es-policy.html
Old Jul 28, 2020, 7:17 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Originally Posted by Enigma368
Virgin say that Flying Club redemptions booked today for travel up until April 2021 can be rebooked free of charge(except for any fare difference). Does anyone know what this means in practice?

Would you still have to book the same route and airline for the redemption?
Or would you just have to make another booking up to the same amount of miles?
Or, are they just refunding the miles and taxes?

Any help, appreciated.

https://flywith.virginatlantic.com/g...es-policy.html
This has been several months ago now, so things may have changed. I had a VS award booking for ATL-JNB on Delta that was cancelled in April. I tried through Twitter, SMS, and phone to get rebooked for October on VS metal. They wouldn't do so unless a) there was award space available and b) I paid the difference in miles and taxes.

I ended up getting the miles back in my account and taxes refunded to my card (which took 4 months but was only $11.20 so not a big deal). Unfortunately, award space on that Delta flight is a white whale, so now I'm stuck with VS miles I transferred from AmEx. Hopefully I can use them to book a trip on ANA within the next year or two before they increase the price on that deal.
Old Jul 31, 2020, 4:31 pm

Thanks, I was wondering what their email meant when it said "we will automatically keep your ticket open as credit for you to use for travel any time up to 30th September 2022, with no fee to change your booking."
So how did you tell them you wanted the points credited? I'm still waiting for about $1200 in fuel surcharges from a previous booking which was changed to this one in May.
Old Jan 13, 2021, 3:08 am

Programs: AA 1MM, AF Plat, VS Gold, Hyatt Glob, Sixt Diamond, Avis Presidents Club
delete pls

delete thread pls

Last edited by bennytma; Jan 13, 2021 at 3:15 am Reason: dupe
Old Jan 13, 2021, 3:16 am

Programs: AA 1MM, AF Plat, VS Gold, Hyatt Glob, Sixt Diamond, Avis Presidents Club
Similar to Enigma368 q. This website says that for rebooked travel dates from April 1 of this year, if the new round-trip Upper Class dates/ticket are within 350GBP, VS will waive the additional cost. The fine print says that this includes tickets booked on codeshare flights on DL/AF/KL. It also says that this applies to Flying Club award bookings. See here: https://flywith.virginatlantic.com/u...es-policy.html

But Flying Club awards are obviously not priced in GBP. They're priced in miles. So, does this mean that in order to voluntarily rebook an award (original flight still operating), award space needs to be available on the new flight, or that Virgin will rebook even if award space is not available? That would seem to be too good to be true.

Does anyone have experience rebooking a FlyingClub partner award under the COVID policy?

Thx

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.