Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club
Reload this Page >

ANA (NH) Redemptions using VS Flying Club points - thread locked Sept 2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ANA (NH) Redemptions using VS Flying Club points - thread locked Sept 2022

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2017, 11:37 pm

Originally Posted by Nathandelabrum
Hi there everyone. My wife and I are hoping to take a big 3 week trip to Japan in October/November 2018, and I've only recently found out about the excellent value in redeeming our flying club miles for flights in first/business class on ANA. In a month or 2 I'll have 200k FC miles, so when October/November of this year rolls around we should be able to start the process of redeeming them for our trip in 2018. I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience of doing this and can point us in the right direction as to when exactly we should attempt to book our flights. Any further tips relating to booking the flights would also be appreciated. We're getting excited already about the chance to fly in business or first for such a relatively small amount of miles; what are our chances realistically of finding 2 tickets in either class 11 months or so in advance? Seems like first is unlikely but I can't find much information on business class?

Thanks in advance one and all!
F is very likely, J is not. searched for dates in late Jan to early March IAD-NRT-IAD, 30 days each way had F availability for 2, 2 outbound days for J, no returns.

check the thread. it's easy.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 12:28 am
Moderator, Virgin Atlantic

Programs: VS Red, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium - earned out of our own pocket!.
I will move this post into the master thread.

Nick
Old Jul 26, 2017, 12:20 pm

Is it possible to transfer Flying Club miles between FC accounts? My partner received miles as compensation for an airline delay, but I'm the one who has all the other miles via other programs that we use. If she could transfer the 50k to my account, it would go a long way to helping with a future ANA booking to Japan (maybe even in F with these miles added) along with my MR points.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by rbears
Is it possible to transfer Flying Club miles between FC accounts? My partner received miles as compensation for an airline delay, but I'm the one who has all the other miles via other programs that we use. If she could transfer the 50k to my account, it would go a long way to helping with a future ANA booking to Japan (maybe even in F with these miles added) along with my MR points.
If it is, pretty certain there is a fee that most of the time makes it worthless.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 5:27 pm

I already have round trip flights in J ORD to NRT booked and am looking to upgrade at least one leg to first class. Does anyone have any experience with this? I called Virgin Atlantic and they said it would only be 12.5k miles to do so but when I asked if there were any other fees or taxes they stated they couldn't look that up with potentially messing up my already booked flights which I absolutely don't want.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 5:31 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Originally Posted by rbears
I believe that when you make a booking you can ask for your Partners miles to be taken into account if they are travelling with you. Best to check first.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 12:23 pm

Successfully booked IAH-NRT-IAH RT for 120K plus $169. I looked for F saver award on United website, could be a long process.

Booking process was easy (depending on when you call, wait time can be long). The two agents I spoke with knew exactly what I wanted. First call, agent placed the flights on hold. Second call, agent was able to find the hold under my account and booked right away (points transferring from Chase was literally instantaneous).

Then the reservation confirmation arrived in email and I was able to use the eTicket number to reserve my seats on ANA website.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 7:25 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, CC Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, DL PM
I called and booked 2 first class tickets SFO-NRT-LAX. The agent originally told me that it had to go back to the same city only. But, the flights that I had been looking for to SFO had disappeared this week. She finally searched a LAX return, and was able to confirm the open jaw. I used Chase UR and AMEX MR points and transferred those while I was on the line with her. The points transfer was almost instantaneous. The fees were $339.

Now, while I have confirmed tickets, the flights were not yet ticketed. She kept getting an error while trying to take payment and issue the tickets. So, she has sent it to payment for processing. She told me that it would take a couple of days, but she manually removed the miles from my account. I will be anxious until we have them ticketed and I can check that the details and dates are correct.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 9:57 pm
ned

Programs: MTD pass holder
Be sure to check both UA, or AC, and NH web sites to see that your tickeys have been taken out of award inventory. If not get in touch with VS ASAP.
KathinJax likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 4:56 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, CC Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, DL PM
I did receive ticket confirmation late last night - and they spelled my boyfriend's name wrong. It is a pretty common error. When they read it back to me, I was correcting the other spelling mistake and did not catch that she transposed two letters. It is within the 24 hours of ticketing, so they are trying to sort it out.

Edited to add: It took about an hour for them to sort out, but he has a new ticket number and I have confirmed the reservation on the ANA website with the new ticket number. **Sigh of relief***

Last edited by KathinJax; Aug 19, 2017 at 6:10 am
Old Aug 19, 2017, 3:24 pm

Speculative Award?

I am in Houston and want to take advantage of IAH to NRT on ANA first class the last week of December 2018. Current award availability shows tickets until the end of the of July on the United site.

So I have several issues. American Express will end Virgin Atlantic point transfers after November 1st, my flights will not be open for award booking until three months later, at least based on the United website search, the impending Alaska loyalty program merger, risk of point devaluation at any time, etc.

My question is if either of these options are worth taking:

Option one, at the end of October, confirm space on latest available first class round trip ANA IAH-NRT award , probably for late September, and hold, transfer 240,000 (two of us) Am Ex MR points to Virgin Atlantic, get tickets, then hope to move back the dates 3 months later, when December 2018 award space should open up.

Option two, transfer 240,000 American Express MR points to Virgin Atlantic October 31st, assuming there are no adverse changes in the program between now and then, then wait three month until the end of January 2018, for award ticket availability, hopefully still bookable for 120,000 per person round trip, without adverse changes to the award structure between November 2017 and late January 2018.

Neither options seem like home runs. Can I get any other opinions on those option, or any others,

Sincerely,
Mark
Old Aug 19, 2017, 7:56 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Virgin America and Alaska merge the program. Virgin Atlantic is totally separate
Old Aug 20, 2017, 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by bbaum1
I am in Houston and want to take advantage of IAH to NRT on ANA first class the last week of December 2018. Current award availability shows tickets until the end of the of July on the United site.

So I have several issues. American Express will end Virgin Atlantic point transfers after November 1st, my flights will not be open for award booking until three months later, at least based on the United website search, the impending Alaska loyalty program merger, risk of point devaluation at any time, etc.

My question is if either of these options are worth taking:

Option one, at the end of October, confirm space on latest available first class round trip ANA IAH-NRT award , probably for late September, and hold, transfer 240,000 (two of us) Am Ex MR points to Virgin Atlantic, get tickets, then hope to move back the dates 3 months later, when December 2018 award space should open up.

Option two, transfer 240,000 American Express MR points to Virgin Atlantic October 31st, assuming there are no adverse changes in the program between now and then, then wait three month until the end of January 2018, for award ticket availability, hopefully still bookable for 120,000 per person round trip, without adverse changes to the award structure between November 2017 and late January 2018.

Neither options seem like home runs. Can I get any other opinions on those option, or any others,

Sincerely,
Mark
As the poster below you noted, VS has nothing to do with VX.
But changing dates is painless, just pay $50. You won't have to worry about new mileage rates.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 8:48 pm

Just booked a return from the West Coast (painless, great! Didn't even have to hold but 2 minutes)
With their new award chart (if you look at the UK site), it doesn't list a stopover in Japan as an option (as in, go from US to Japan to somewhere else). Does anybody know if that is still possible?
Old Aug 21, 2017, 7:15 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by s0ssos
Just booked a return from the West Coast (painless, great! Didn't even have to hold but 2 minutes)
With their new award chart (if you look at the UK site), it doesn't list a stopover in Japan as an option (as in, go from US to Japan to somewhere else). Does anybody know if that is still possible?
Prices as two separate awards, no stopovers allowed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.