Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club
Reload this Page >

Discussion about, and issues with, new website & booking engine post 13 Nov 16

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Discussion about, and issues with, new website & booking engine post 13 Nov 16

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2016, 8:39 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, VS Gold, Virgin Trains Traveller, Her Majesties Secret Service.
Originally Posted by Sealink
There is a reward availability calendar.
Tick the box asking for five week availability.
Except trying to move forward/backwards by a month like the old reward calendar throws an error and puts you back to step 1... unlike the old, nice looking, perfectly functional calendar that was scrapped
Old Dec 5, 2016, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by CommanderB
Except trying to move forward/backwards by a month like the old reward calendar throws an error and puts you back to step 1... unlike the old, nice looking, perfectly functional calendar that was scrapped
Exactly. You have to pick a date. It is such a step backwards it really is not funny for customers.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
The affiliate programme is still dead, so Virgin is losing real booking revenue as well. Online publishers won't run Virgin CPA ads if they are not getting paid.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 12:01 am

Originally Posted by CommanderB
AND the new calendar only shows one class, whereas the old one showed all three.

Great upgrade.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 7:54 am

Location: Port St Lucie, FL, UA1K since 1994 and 3mm, Delta 1mm
Programs: Marriott Titanium Life, Hilton Gold
Tried doing a FF search -- keeps getting error messages with Firefox. Works OK with IE...
Old Dec 7, 2016, 12:25 am

Programs: Nothing shiny :-(
My first post in the Virgin area I think! I hope this is in the right thread.
I booked an award flight HKG - LHR in upper class pre the changes and it cost 60K miles. It now seems to be 50k. Is that right?
If so, there's still availability for the same flight so presumably I would be better off cancelling and rebooking (is it still £30 to cancel (nothing happens when I click on that bit of Virgin's website)?). I wouldn't want to risk losing the flight though - can I book a second seat and then cancel the first or will the system see I have two bookings and not allow that?
Thanks
Old Dec 7, 2016, 12:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, UA Premier 1K, Amex Plat, GlobalEntry
I wouldn't.

Just because you cancel your award flight doesn't put it back into award inventory.

The system is so messed-up right now that I'd keep the flight you've already been e-ticketed for.

Steve

Originally Posted by louie-m
My first post in the Virgin area I think! I hope this is in the right thread.
I booked an award flight HKG - LHR in upper class pre the changes and it cost 60K miles. It now seems to be 50k. Is that right?
If so, there's still availability for the same flight so presumably I would be better off cancelling and rebooking (is it still £30 to cancel (nothing happens when I click on that bit of Virgin's website)?). I wouldn't want to risk losing the flight though - can I book a second seat and then cancel the first or will the system see I have two bookings and not allow that?
Thanks
Old Dec 7, 2016, 3:38 pm

Programs: Nothing shiny :-(
Originally Posted by backdoc
Just because you cancel your award flight doesn't put it back into award inventory.

The system is so messed-up right now that I'd keep the flight you've already been e-ticketed for.
There is still award availability for the flight. My concern, probably groundless, is that if I cancel that may affect i.e. remove that availability, rather than the concern being whether my existing ticket goes back into award inventory.

I'm new to Virgin but I haven't found anything indicating that the miles required should have changed yet (and as I understood it HKG was changing from 60k to 57.5k rather than to 50k in any case) so the other concern is that the amount and/or the availability may be wrong and I wouldn't be able to book it anyway.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 6:17 pm
Original Poster

Then do it on the phone with Flying Club.

Flying Club is actually generally very efficient.

Have them do it.

Steve

Originally Posted by louie-m
There is still award availability for the flight. My concern, probably groundless, is that if I cancel that may affect i.e. remove that availability, rather than the concern being whether my existing ticket goes back into award inventory.

I'm new to Virgin but I haven't found anything indicating that the miles required should have changed yet (and as I understood it HKG was changing from 60k to 57.5k rather than to 50k in any case) so the other concern is that the amount and/or the availability may be wrong and I wouldn't be able to book it anyway.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Somebody probably re-programmed HKG into the China and Africa region too early. Since that's clearly an error that a human might notice, I would just stick with your existing booking.
Old Dec 11, 2016, 3:46 pm

Programs: VS Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
The biggest problem for me with the award availability calendar, even with the "5 week" box checked (as it's basically a reskin of Delta's engine) is that you have to select the dates first, which is predetermining the length of your trip, meaning you won't see all dates where your chosen class is available.

As (especially) G availability is rare, it makes sense that if you're flexible you'd plan your trip around when G seats are available, but the only way I can see to do this is to do two separate one-way searches, which is annoying.

What if I'm happy to fly back a day or two earlier/later if it means I can get a seat in G? Using the calendar as designed I'm not able to do that, hence the separate one way searches.
Old Dec 11, 2016, 3:52 pm
Original Poster

This seems intentional rather than accidental.

The harder it is to find an award seat the less likely one is to book it thus increasing the opportunity for VS to sell the seat.

Steve

Originally Posted by bristoldave
The biggest problem for me with the award availability calendar, even with the "5 week" box checked (as it's basically a reskin of Delta's engine) is that you have to select the dates first, which is predetermining the length of your trip, meaning you won't see all dates where your chosen class is available.

As (especially) G availability is rare, it makes sense that if you're flexible you'd plan your trip around when G seats are available, but the only way I can see to do this is to do two separate one-way searches, which is annoying.

What if I'm happy to fly back a day or two earlier/later if it means I can get a seat in G? Using the calendar as designed I'm not able to do that, hence the separate one way searches.
Old Dec 11, 2016, 4:48 pm

The harder it is to find an award seat the less likely one is to book it thus increasing the opportunity for VS to sell the seat.
Nonsense. If VS don't want to sell a reward seat for a flight they just won't release it for that flight.

Do not attribute to ingenuity that which can be better attributed to incompetence.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 6:16 pm
Original Poster

hehehehe

hehehehe...

I misread that as incontinence....

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
Nonsense. If VS don't want to sell a reward seat for a flight they just won't release it for that flight.

Do not attribute to ingenuity that which can be better attributed to incompetence.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 12:58 am
swy

Programs: Greyhound Vermillion Mithril
I'm only using Firefox now to look at Virgin Atlantic's website now.

I wish they could just get it together.
Thanks for the tip. Had been trying to get it to work in Safari for 10 minutes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.