Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Virgin America | Elevate pre 2018
Reload this Page >

New Credit Card Details (Comenity Capital Bank)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Credit Card Details (Comenity Capital Bank)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2016, 2:48 pm

Programs: Alaska / Hilton / Amtrak / Avis
Originally Posted by Wendigo
Can anyone share their experience with Comenity retention on this card? Specifically getting the $149 fee forgiven? Spending promos?
I was able to get them to refund the fee last year when they screwed up by not sending me a new card after 1) it was cancelled due to identify theft and 2) they had some snafus that meant I did not have the card for almost two months. I will say that they were on top of the fraud issue.
Old Feb 20, 2016, 8:48 pm

Programs: UA, VX, QF, EY, VA
Could someone chime in on wether the premium card makes sense to get if you're already Silver?

The main advantage seems to be the unlimited cancel/change for no fee -- that basically makes refundable fares pointless if you have the card, right?

Thanks!
Old Feb 21, 2016, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by patrick.barnes
Could someone chime in on wether the premium card makes sense to get if you're already Silver?

The main advantage seems to be the unlimited cancel/change for no fee -- that basically makes refundable fares pointless if you have the card, right?

Thanks!
Well, keep in mind that once you cancel a ticket you do get your money back but in the form of a credit to your Virgin wallet. If you buy the subsequent ticket with the funds from your wallet, then that would not allow you to cancel without penalty (so it's pretty much a one-time cancel benefit per ticket purchased with the card). Hope this adds info to your inquiry.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 9:26 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by apbailey
I was able to get them to refund the fee last year when they screwed up by not sending me a new card after 1) it was cancelled due to identify theft and 2) they had some snafus that meant I did not have the card for almost two months.
I'm in the middle of the very same experience. What a mess. It's been almost 2 weeks.

Comenity told me they would open a case file for a fraud investigation and issue a new card under a new account number. Visa, supposedly, would send me the new card directly in 24hrs to wherever I happen to be. Nothing ever came of that. Visa called me this morning and told me that I should call Comenity. When I did, they seem to have forgotten about the entire incident and told me that there is nothing wrong with my account; it was on a brief hold.

The card is useful, and anyone flying 2+ times/yr is probably going to get some benefit from it, but Comenity is the B-team. They missed the EMV mandate last October and still are not chipping their cards. So, they're still a target for fraud, and the card basically only works in the US, rendering its "no foreign transaction fee" feature all but useless, especially for the frequent traveler to whom they purportedly cater.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by halamadrid
Well, keep in mind that once you cancel a ticket you do get your money back but in the form of a credit to your Virgin wallet. If you buy the subsequent ticket with the funds from your wallet, then that would not allow you to cancel without penalty (so it's pretty much a one-time cancel benefit per ticket purchased with the card). Hope this adds info to your inquiry.
I once bought a ticket using the remaining balance in my wallet and paying the rest with the credit card, I had to cancel this ticket too which as I understand should not have been free, however the lady on the phone was able to get me a refund after getting her manager's approval.

So if you book tickets using your wallet balance it may be worth paying $1 with your VX CC, just in case. No guarantee though.

Originally Posted by abeille
They missed the EMV mandate last October and still are not chipping their cards. So, they're still a target for fraud, and the card basically only works in the US, rendering its "no foreign transaction fee" feature all but useless, especially for the frequent traveler to whom they purportedly cater.
Just because the card doesn't have a chip doesn't make it US-only, in many countries most places will be fine swiping your card if you don't have a chip.
Old Feb 26, 2016, 4:59 am
Suspended

Programs: VX Elevate, B6 TrueBlue, DL SkyMiles
So basically, this card by Comenity is still a mess/below standard?
Old Mar 2, 2016, 1:07 pm

Programs: UA G
Do status points still rollover on the premium card if you don't make status or do you have to make at least Silver for rollover to kick in?
Old Mar 2, 2016, 7:19 pm

Programs: Global Entry/TSA PreCheck
Originally Posted by unavaca
Do status points still rollover on the premium card if you don't make status or do you have to make at least Silver for rollover to kick in?
It is my understanding you need to make at least Silver for rollover to kick in.
Old Mar 5, 2016, 12:23 am

I apologize if this was already posted, but it appears Virgin America has recently changed their policy for Premium Cardholders. Effectively (with a few exceptions), there are no longer change/cancel fees for tickets purchased with the premium card.

https://creditcard.virginamerica.com...and-conditions

4. Flight Change/Cancel Fee Waiver. (Premium Cardholders only)

Premium Cardholders are eligible to receive waived change or cancel fees (as published at virginamerica.com) when purchasing non-refundable fares on Virgin America-operated flights. To receive the waived change or cancel fee benefit, you must include your Elevate account number in your reservation and use your Premium Card to purchase your ticket(s) directly from Virgin America. Your Credit Card Account must be open and not in default at the time of making a change or cancellation to an existing reservation. The waived change or cancel fee benefit is only available on paid Virgin America marketed and operated flights; codeshare flights with a Virgin America flight number but operated by another airline are not eligible. The waived change or cancel fee benefit excludes same day travel change fees and Elevate redeposit fees for reward bookings. When changing a reservation, you will be responsible for paying for any difference in fare in accordance with the original purchased fare rules. Premium cardholders must remain a named passenger on the reservation and include their Elevate account number in order to receive the waived change or cancel fee benefit. When changing or cancelling a reservation, any remaining funds will be credited to your Travel Bank account for future travel on Virgin America. The travel credit is valid within 12 months from the date of change or cancellation.
Old Mar 5, 2016, 12:27 am

Oh, disregard my previous post. This looks like the same policy that was always in place. I must have simply read it incorrectly. I guess I was hoping the funds on a cancellation would now be refunded, not credited to the Travel Bank (as usual).
Old Mar 5, 2016, 12:56 am

Now that I have started thinking about the change/cancel fee waiver with Premium card, I have a scenario to run by the people in this forum. While I fly on Virgin America a lot, I hardly ever cancel a flight completely, so I have no idea if this would work. As I understand it, once I cancel a ticket, the funds would go to my Travel Bank. If I then booked a future flight using the funds in my Travel Bank, I would NOT have the privilege of changing or cancelling that flight without incurring a fee. But, if I had instead changed that original flight to a different flight of approximately the same cost as many months out as I could find, could I theoretically keep pushing the date of that flight further back repeatedly until I actually used the value of that flight? That way the funds would never hit my Travel Bank, and I would never purchase a flight with funds that are not free of change/cancel fees, right?
Old Mar 5, 2016, 3:46 pm

My gut reaction is that your scenario wouldn't work as the new ticket (even though it's a change) would essentially be purchased with a credit from the original reservation. The result would be that the direct link between purchase and premium card would be broken in the same manner as depositing the funds in your travel bank and later using them to purchase a new ticket. Thus, no waived cancellation/change fee privileges on the new reservation. It'd be great if it does work though.
Old Mar 5, 2016, 6:46 pm

Any data points on churnability of the cards?
Old Apr 5, 2016, 2:52 pm

Does there exist a link to waived annual fee?

Hello there,

I'm thinking of applying for a Virgin America cc. Does anyone know of a link that waives the annual fee, with the same bonus?

Thanks in advance!
Old Apr 5, 2016, 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by fidelio1
Hello there,

I'm thinking of applying for a Virgin America cc. Does anyone know of a link that waives the annual fee, with the same bonus?

Thanks in advance!
Specials are cued to your Elevate account and sent to you directly. You would have to receive an email with an offer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.