Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA Pre-Check and Virgin America

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2013, 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by dustman81
If you've got a smartphone, you can download Aztec or Manatee and see if you've been approved for Pre.

Once the barcode is scanned by the phone, look for the '3'. Below was taken from the United Pre thread. Just substitute VX for UA.
It looks like VX encode their boarding passes differently than UA; I scanned it and the formatting is rather different. I saw earlier in this thread where to look for the "3" and I appear to have it, so I'll try it tomorrow.

BTW, has anyone used mobile boarding pass in PHL? Last time I tried it (more than a year ago) the TSA machine couldn't read the VX pass.

Matt
Old Nov 3, 2013, 9:29 pm

Programs: AS MVP, PriorityPass, Global Entry
Originally Posted by gooseman13
BUT I was eligible for expedited screening. This meant going in a normal line, but going through metal detector instead of nude-o-scope and not having to take off my shoes.

Has anyone seen this in LA or elsewhere before?
The TSA seems to be doing that at some airports, usually smaller ones, but could also be terminals with more limited PreCheck traffic at this point (or opening a permanent one), and is usually referred to PreCheck Lite.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 5:14 pm

Programs: VX Silver
Has anyone heard anything about when they are rolling this out to non global traveler members? Their website indicated fall, but I'm silver and haven't heard anything :/
Old Nov 4, 2013, 5:42 pm

Programs: Virgin America Elevate Gold
Originally Posted by trevorwh
Has anyone heard anything about when they are rolling this out to non global traveler members? Their website indicated fall, but I'm silver and haven't heard anything :/
I have yet to hear anything. Have you thought about getting global entry? To me its worth it simply for the pre check eligibility.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 3:32 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
Originally Posted by trevorwh
On the VX TSA Precheck page, they have included instructions on how to do the checkbox. BUT DON'T TRY IT YET, it is not there, but likely coming very soon.

I really hope they include Gold and Silver. I don't see why they wouldn't.

http://www.virginamerica.com/vx/booking/tsa-precheck

I guess for me, I don't feel like we should have to pay for pre-check. The airline submits the information, and the TSA responds appropriately. That system works fine for me (except not every airline submits the credentials). On AA, I have the box checked, and it has stayed checked. On UA, you can check the box at any status, but they only submit certain level of passengers (definitely not Silver ones).

I know why they won't do it for all, but I wonder (aside from the line confusion) why they won't let every FF member check the box to self-select.

Rasheed
Old Nov 13, 2013, 5:36 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
Lines recently have been longer at SFO, definitely folks in there who have not intentionally opted in. I'm not sure the background behind that, I believe I've seen something similar reported on other airline forums as well.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 5:56 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, WN A-List
Sucess on a SJC checkin

Did just check in for LAX-SJC for tomorrow and do have TSAPre on the BP.
I am Global Entry and did put in the number on my elevate profile.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by phil94028
Did just check in for LAX-SJC for tomorrow and do have TSAPre on the BP.
I am Global Entry and did put in the number on my elevate profile.
Are you seeing it on a mobile boarding pass (like iPhone?) or is this printed? I am flying sunday and I use mobile so i can check too.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 9:23 pm

Programs: VX Silver
Originally Posted by rasheed
On the VX TSA Precheck page, they have included instructions on how to do the checkbox. BUT DON'T TRY IT YET, it is not there, but likely coming very soon.

I really hope they include Gold and Silver. I don't see why they wouldn't.

http://www.virginamerica.com/vx/booking/tsa-precheck

I guess for me, I don't feel like we should have to pay for pre-check. The airline submits the information, and the TSA responds appropriately. That system works fine for me (except not every airline submits the credentials). On AA, I have the box checked, and it has stayed checked. On UA, you can check the box at any status, but they only submit certain level of passengers (definitely not Silver ones).

I know why they won't do it for all, but I wonder (aside from the line confusion) why they won't let every FF member check the box to self-select.

Rasheed
Very interesting, thank you for the info. I too don't see the checkbox, but excited it is at least coming soon. I can't imagine they would only do it for gold - would think they would do it for both gold and silver!
Old Nov 14, 2013, 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by SoCalZman
Are you seeing it on a mobile boarding pass (like iPhone?) or is this printed? I am flying sunday and I use mobile so i can check too.
Printed.

First time I've flown VA as an Elevate Member. Only signed up to put the known traveler thing on there.

Southwest got crazy expensive and United not reliable for up and down the West Coast.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 11:32 pm

Printed.

First time I've flown VA as an Elevate Member. Only signed up to put the known traveler thing on there.

Southwest got crazy expensive and United not reliable for up and down the West Coast.
Ah ok. Well if you have an iPhone you can add your boarding pass to Passbook via their mobile site, just FYI. Welcome to VX.

Interesting re SW and UA. I thought I was paying a premium to avoid SW all these years. And I It figured a big carrier like united would consider west coast routes important to stay on top of. Delta has the right idea. They run an hourly shuttle between sfo and lax.
Old Nov 15, 2013, 11:27 am

Ah ok. Well if you have an iPhone you can add your boarding pass to Passbook via their mobile site, just FYI. Welcome to VX.

Interesting re SW and UA. I thought I was paying a premium to avoid SW all these years. And I It figured a big carrier like united would consider west coast routes important to stay on top of. Delta has the right idea. They run an hourly shuttle between sfo and lax.
The TSA Pre is a bit of an advantage for non status folks like me who are used to priority lines on their main carrier (United in my case).
Makes it feel more welcoming flying a non preferred carrier.

Actually flown Virgin America a fair bit this year. Just never bothered joining Elevate. Slave to United for long haul so only really cared about status with them and did not do virgin enough.

It is sure a pity that VX don't have a base at BUR.
Southwest really can charge what they like on SJC-BUR.
Lot's of hi-tech commuters so they can get away with it.

United Express crazy priced, unreliable and RJ's SFO-BUR.
Mainline united SFO-LAX a joke for on time, especially when it rains in the Bay Area.

Delta, without status is just too scary to consider. Probably have to sit in the toilets!
Old Nov 15, 2013, 12:05 pm

Programs: AS MVP, PriorityPass, Global Entry
Delta, without status is just too scary to consider. Probably have to sit in the toilets!
Not that I'm pushing them on the Virgin forum, and I haven't tried it myself, but the LAX-SFO route on Delta got a substantial upgrade because they gave it Shuttle status which is supposed to provide shorter check-in and expedited security even without status, as well as free beer and wine:
http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...t-shuttle.html

Mind you I like Virgin too, but the Delta Shuttle looks like a pretty nice product.
Old Nov 16, 2013, 5:31 pm

I can report that for those using mobile boarding passes, you will now be seeing a Pre-check logo on your boarding pass.
Old Nov 30, 2013, 4:51 pm

I just went through security at SFO and was ushered through pre check! I asked if they were open this late as a fluke and they said nope starting today they are going to be open full time from now on. It was my first time being able to use it since I usually fly in the evenings and it. Was. Wonderful! Enjoy everyone!
I'm flying Virgin for the first time with Pre check at SFO and wonder where is the pre check line? Do you still go to the regular security line or is it located somewhere else? I've never noticed it at Virgin before when I wasn't pre check.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.