Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA Pre-Check and Virgin America

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2013, 8:19 am

Programs: BA Gold, UA Premier 1K, Amex Plat, GlobalEntry
I downloaded that barcode scanner app..

I was able to scan the boarding pass I have for SFO-LAX for tomorrow and it has the 30 like it should for TSA Precheck. I was able to scan my boarding pass from 2 weeks ago that didn't triple beep and sure enough it had 00.

The "MW Works barcode scanner" also worked by having it scan from my computer screen. So, from now on I'll scan the barcode each time to verify that it has TSA Precheck on it before walking to the screening area.

If you have one of the newer Driver Licenses with the big barcode try scanning that.

Steve

Originally Posted by unavaca
Interesting, thanks for sharing that. The PreCheck (and API bit, which is what the 0 or 2 at the end is normally for) is typically at the end of the ticket number, but I'm not seeing that in your blob above. Weird.

Do you know what time PreCheck closes at SFO T2?

Last edited by backdoc; Oct 3, 2013 at 8:33 am
Old Oct 6, 2013, 10:00 am

Programs: AA CK; UA 1P
Anyone have experience with trying to use PreCheck at DCA flying VX? I've flown out of the same concourse VX utilizes and have seen the PreCheck line -- but DCA is not listed as a PreCheck city on the VX website.

Thanks.
Old Oct 6, 2013, 10:47 am

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by senatestaffer
Anyone have experience with trying to use PreCheck at DCA flying VX? I've flown out of the same concourse VX utilizes and have seen the PreCheck line -- but DCA is not listed as a PreCheck city on the VX website.

Thanks.
Both the south and the center pier are called Terminal B. They have yet to establish PreCheck at center pier, which is the one used by VX. To use PreCheck, you have to go up to the north pier. Once you have cleared PreCheck, you can take an airside shuttle, operated by US, to the center pier.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 7:30 pm

Programs: Virgin America Elevate Gold
I just went through security at SFO and was ushered through pre check! I asked if they were open this late as a fluke and they said nope starting today they are going to be open full time from now on. It was my first time being able to use it since I usually fly in the evenings and it. Was. Wonderful! Enjoy everyone!
Old Oct 10, 2013, 10:31 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
great news, i plan on flying out tomorrow night so good timing for me. thanks for the update!
Old Oct 12, 2013, 11:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by SoCalZman
I just went through security at SFO and was ushered through pre check! I asked if they were open this late as a fluke and they said nope starting today they are going to be open full time from now on. It was my first time being able to use it since I usually fly in the evenings and it. Was. Wonderful! Enjoy everyone!
Congrats! I finally figured out that I needed to add my Trusted Traveler no. to my profiles at VX and UA to get the Pre-Check. I'm hoping to get it next time. A short line of regular travelers who know the routine well sounds like a nice way to start a trip.
Old Oct 13, 2013, 11:19 am

Programs: Delta
So to ask a newbie question, how does one enroll in TSA Pre-Check in the first place? Or is this an invite-only system?
Old Oct 13, 2013, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by rekoil
So to ask a newbie question, how does one enroll in TSA Pre-Check in the first place? Or is this an invite-only system?
Looks like two ways: invitation by participating airlines (i.e., due to elite status) or your own participation in one of the Trusted Traveler programs. I have the latter via Global Entry.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 12:11 pm

Programs: VX Gold, WN A-List
Anybody aware of when VX will start extending invitations, if ever?

Originally Posted by dhuey
Looks like two ways: invitation by participating airlines (i.e., due to elite status) or your own participation in one of the Trusted Traveler programs. I have the latter via Global Entry.
Old Oct 15, 2013, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by BayAreaGuy
Anybody aware of when VX will start extending invitations, if ever?
No idea, but if you travel abroad much, I highly recommend Global Entry. $100 for five years, and you'll get a Trusted Traveler no. for TSA Pre-Check.
Old Oct 23, 2013, 5:13 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
Haven't seen a comment on this - flew out of LAX T3 on VX yesterday and saw a sign for pre-check. Hmm I thought this is new, quickly went on the TSA site and sure enough they show pre-check at T3.
When I got up to the front though I was advised that it wasn't fully operational, BUT I was eligible for expedited screening. This meant going in a normal line, but going through metal detector instead of nude-o-scope and not having to take off my shoes.

Has anyone seen this in LA or elsewhere before?
Old Oct 23, 2013, 5:49 pm

Programs: Virgin America Elevate Gold
Originally Posted by gooseman13
Haven't seen a comment on this - flew out of LAX T3 on VX yesterday and saw a sign for pre-check. Hmm I thought this is new, quickly went on the TSA site and sure enough they show pre-check at T3.
When I got up to the front though I was advised that it wasn't fully operational, BUT I was eligible for expedited screening. This meant going in a normal line, but going through metal detector instead of nude-o-scope and not having to take off my shoes.

Has anyone seen this in LA or elsewhere before?
Yup. Happened to me Sunday evening at LAX too. I got the 3 beeps but he said the line wasnt open. I shrugged because I thought that was normal. He said go through the regular line, but keep your shoes on and tell the agent you are pre check. They let me use the metal detector. It was nice! Unfortunately I had to take my laptops out still, but that will change when we get our own line.
Old Oct 24, 2013, 12:30 pm

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by SoCalZman
Yup. Happened to me Sunday evening at LAX too. I got the 3 beeps but he said the line wasnt open. I shrugged because I thought that was normal. He said go through the regular line, but keep your shoes on and tell the agent you are pre check. They let me use the metal detector. It was nice! Unfortunately I had to take my laptops out still, but that will change when we get our own line.
This is great. I've been waiting for LAX T3 to get precheck. Hopefully they get the line ready before the holiday travel starts.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 6:16 pm

So other than the barcode, is there no indication on a VX boarding pass if you are eligible for PreCheck?

On Delta, the PreCheck logo is printed or added to your mobile boarding pass.

I just checked into VX, and there is no indication if I am set for PreCheck. Need to find a scanner...

Matt
Old Nov 2, 2013, 6:53 pm

Programs: NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by mattfusf
So other than the barcode, is there no indication on a VX boarding pass if you are eligible for PreCheck?

On Delta, the PreCheck logo is printed or added to your mobile boarding pass.

I just checked into VX, and there is no indication if I am set for PreCheck. Need to find a scanner...

Matt
If you've got a smartphone, you can download Aztec or Manatee and see if you've been approved for Pre.

Once the barcode is scanned by the phone, look for the '3'. Below was taken from the United Pre thread. Just substitute VX for UA.

LAST/FIRSTMR XXXXXXX DENMCIUA XXXX 000XXXFXXXX 15C>3180 MXXXXBUA 12345678901234 53 UA UA MP# *XXX 09 UAG
If you see a 3 in the position before "UA UA", then you will receive Pre-Check access. If there is a 0 in the spot, you will not receive Pre-Check access.

e.g. ...53 UA UA = Pre-Check
e.g. ...20 UA UA = No Pre-Check

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.