FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Virgin America | Elevate pre 2018 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/virgin-america-elevate-pre-2018-642/)
-   -   TSA Pre-Check and Virgin America (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/virgin-america-elevate-pre-2018/1442933-tsa-pre-check-virgin-america.html)

nnn Feb 27, 2013 10:33 am

TSA Pre-Check and Virgin America

Apologies if this has been mentioned; I didn't find it on a search.

In November 2012, VX's CEO said the airline is working to add support for TSA Pre-Check:

http://venturebeat.com/2012/11/16/vi...rbulent-skies/

Security
TSA hassles are the bane of business travelers who fly often enough to know what a joke our current “security” model is. The TSA has been moving toward a risk-based model that would allow frequent travelers to bypass many elements of the screening process. With recent changes to the TSA’s rules, Virgin is now eligible to participate in the TSA’s Pre Check program. Cush said the airline is working to modify its systems to enable its fliers to participate and hopes to have it available shortly after the holidays.
As a member of Global Entry, I would certainly be enticed to fly VX more often (versus United) if I knew I could get Pre-Check. It's just so much better.

ETA: In reading other news articles about the subject, other airlines are mentioned as being in talks to add Pre-Check, but not VX. So perhaps Pre-Check isn't happening anytime soon for VX, after all. Anyone have updated information?

Update 6/3/13 -- Pre-Check is NOW OPERATIONAL.

ag99251 Feb 27, 2013 2:39 pm

TSA Pre-Check and Virgin America

Got an email today saying VX will participate in pre- check starting this summer. Eligible elevate members will receive personal email invitations to join.

rasheed Feb 27, 2013 4:23 pm

http://www.virginamerica.com/vx/tsa-precheck

Rasheed

nnn Feb 27, 2013 4:41 pm

Great news.

blitzkriegs Mar 18, 2013 11:25 pm

Word at SFO is tentatively June...

Critic Mar 19, 2013 12:56 pm

Was just at SFO T2 this weekend - PreCheck is essentially set up and ready to go - the WTMD-only lane is in place, as is the signage.

nnn Mar 19, 2013 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by Critic (Post 20447036)
Was just at SFO T2 this weekend - PreCheck is essentially set up and ready to go - the WTMD-only lane is in place, as is the signage.

Pre-Check has already been working in T2 for AA for a while now.

derekhuether Apr 20, 2013 7:28 am

Up to this point, I've avoided Virgin America because of no TSA Precheck. I just fly Delta and it's pain free out of BWI. I called Virgin and got really frustrated because the representative said she had never even heard of TSA Pre-Check. This Monday, I will fly out of IAD to SFO (via Virgin). I'm going to see if the TSA agent will accept my Global Entry card and a paper Virgin boarding pass over the way-to-awesome Delta iPhone app, which beeps 3 times and lets me get through TSA in 2 minutes over 40.

gooseman13 Apr 20, 2013 8:59 am

Why don't you just go to virginamerica.com and look up tsa in the FAQs? The second item on the list is pre check. It says they will have it by summer. I think I read somewhere they're specifically shooting for June.

VX does mobile BP's as well through their mobile website.

nnn Apr 23, 2013 11:36 am

Originally Posted by derekhuether (Post 20622568)
I'm going to see if the TSA agent will accept my Global Entry card and a paper Virgin boarding pass . . . .

I would be very surprised if this worked to get you Pre-Check.

Eastbay1K Apr 23, 2013 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by nnn (Post 20639566)

If you do not get three beeps, you cannot use pre-check. A VX boarding pass will not give you three beeps.

Fin.

Boghopper Apr 25, 2013 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by nnn (Post 20639566)

It will absolutely not work. You have to be registered for it through your FF program and then the TSA decides whether you qualify or not. Either way it is encoded in your boarding pass. I have used precheck with AA and UA and I'd say 90% of the time I get the three beeps. VA is not participating yet, so there is absolutely no way to use precheck on a VA flight.

derekhuether Apr 25, 2013 5:50 pm

My follow-up // VA + TSA = Fail

Long story short, presenting the card from CBT is useless. If the QR code associated with your boarding pass doesn't have the Trusted Traveler number encoded on it (giving 3 beeps), TSA doesn't care a single bit.

Didn't work at IAD.
Didn't work at SFO.

My plan is to not fly Virgin again until they can get it together. Back to Delta I go. I am looking forward to hearing my 3 beeps on Monday (for a Delta flight) and bypassing the whole mess.

gooseman13 Apr 25, 2013 6:19 pm

You didn't have to through all of the trouble - we could have all told you that. The pre-check eligibility on each trip is tied to the airline vetting you through TSA on that record.

ryandc99 Apr 30, 2013 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by derekhuether (Post 20653598)
Long story short, presenting the card from CBT is useless. If the QR code associated with your boarding pass doesn't have the Trusted Traveler number encoded on it (giving 3 beeps), TSA doesn't care a single bit.

Didn't work at IAD.
Didn't work at SFO.

My plan is to not fly Virgin again until they can get it together. Back to Delta I go. I am looking forward to hearing my 3 beeps on Monday (for a Delta flight) and bypassing the whole mess.

Delta at SFO does not have PreCheck (No one in Terminal 1 does)